TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KGB

NHL Thread, March 2008

Yeah, I think the Leafs are done. I guess they have a shot if they can win out now, but I'm not hopeful.

They have to make up 6 points in 5 games plus jump over 4 teams to get in. Yeah, they're done.

I don't know if anyone watched the Flyers-NYR game on VS last night, but if you missed it you missed the worst production that I can ever remember a nationally televised game happening.

- butchering names all night

- going into a discussion about hitting on Kim Catrell

- repeated instances of thinking they were going to commercial, followed by the announcers talking as if they were off air, coming back from their off air discussion, another 15 seconds of game action, and then finally going to commercial at the next dead puck

- see third point but replace commercial with studio update

- a good 3-5 minute stretch in the second intermission where the put up the score and just panned the crowd while starting and stopping a bud light promo

- dropping the HD feed for about the last 10 minutes of the game and showing only the standard version

I would have been entertained if this had happened two months ago when the season lulls, but at this point in the season with what that game meant to the Flyers I was not in the mood for a mickey mouse broadcast like that.

Begin is a guy that I defend a lot, but this act is inexcusable. He should have gotten suspended for that act because it was away from the play and intent to injure.

I'd say that Lucic will fuck Begin up, but he's bigger so Begin won't fight him. Maybe if Lucic was at the end of a long shift, Begin might step in with a teammate and double-team him like he and Lapierre did to Hnidy the other night. Hopefully this effects the Habs karmically.

If the Bruins hold on to make the playoffs, I think we have to see Julien be put into serious thought as coach of the year.

I think if the Flyers make the playoffs, that should cement John Stevens as coach of the year. I know that probably won't happen, and I won't be pissed if it doesn't. But damn, regardless of the inconsistency of the team, they've shown flashes of being a Cup contender. If only they can get over the Habs and Devils hump, they'd be in good shape against anyone in the East.

It'll be Mike Babcock (50 wins, three straight seasons, plus injury to the defence and goaltending), Guy Carbonneau and one of the other two mentioned unless MacTavish or Bordreau makes it in.

They've been much better since he took over and nearly a playoff team now, so that's good enough for consideration. At least in my opinion.

I think there are a lot of coach of the year candidates in both conferences. I can't remember a time since I've been watching where the race for the playoffs has had so many teams trying to get in and realistically having a shot.

You can argue Brent Sutter has a case too.

I don't have a problem with that. They did lose an awful lot over the summer, and still have been up in the top of the conference all season.

Nah. What's he done, really? "Hey, Ovechkin, get out there."

I thought that initially too, but he must have done something right given the cold start by the Caps. I don't know if Mike Green would have 17 goals anywhere else.

Edit: Dustin Byfuglien's 18 goals probably negates my Green argument.

If the concept of all six Canadian teams getting into the playoffs wasn't dead (it was), it's certainly buried tonight. Minnesota gets a big win over Edmonton, knocking Calgary out of the division lead. Edmonton's not too drastically effected, though - Colorado's win over Vancouver means they switch spots to 7-8, but the Oil remain three back. What an entertaining division.

It's moreso the case this year with so many great games being played and the Habs playing so well, but the NHL and NBA playoffs, baseball season starting, and the Masters - this is my favourite time of year for sports by far.

Adding possible intrigue to the mix is the fact that Luongo is apparently having a kid soon. Hopefully he experiences a miracle SOON as in tomorrow or the next day. If he sticks around the Canucks make the playoffs. If not, the Oilers have a serious chance.

Adding possible intrigue to the mix is the fact that Luongo is apparently having a kid soon. Hopefully he experiences a miracle SOON as in tomorrow or the next day. If he sticks around the Canucks make the playoffs. If not, the Oilers have a serious chance.

TSN.ca has reported that Luongo has left the team to be with his wife. This on the heels of the news that Brendan Morrison is out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL.

Bruins win 4-2 and eliminate the Leafs from playoff contention.

And at 88 points, they take over 7th from the Flyers (Bruins were 3-1 against them this year).