TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

Floyd Mayweather vs The Big Show

He would have done nothing differently with his life, regardless of how he chose to make his money. Tyson would not have been able to handle a professional wrestling career. Everything with Tyson was done right and to compare this with Mayweather is a horrible move to make.

I was just saying what I think would have been cool back then. I know they did things right back then and Tyson is a fuck up in real life so he would still be a joke. I was just offering up an opinion about a boxer in wrestling in a thread about a current boxer dabbling in wrestling. It's a post in a thread "not a horrible move to make" as you put it. I guess to make my point clearer. Mike Tyson is a bigger mainstream name than Mayweather and I was thinking had his stay been lengthened it could have helped even more.

I'm pretty sure WWF didn't need him to stay any longer then he did but the longer he stuck around, the more desperate each party would have came off.

Fair enough.

Well I just wanted to add I'm interested to see what form this match takes on. Although I have a good idea it's going to be a game of cat and mouse with some involvement from Mayweather's posse.

Those of you who are suggesting that someone else would have been better in the role against Mayweather (MVP, Burke, Angle) are missing the whole point of this angle. The match is being sold on the spectacle of a 7' 450 pound man against the world's best boxer. They are selling the sideshow appeal of the encounter, not the wrestlers themselves. Big Show is the perfect wrestler for this role.

I know I wasn't talking about the WM match. I thought the conversation had moved to what to do with Show after WM.

I didn't direct that towards you personally. People on these forums have suggesting those various names as better alternatives to Big Show, which I find ludicrous because it shows a fundamental misunderstanding about the appeal of Floyd Mayweather in a wrestling ring. I'm not trying to call anyone out here.

Why not Kahli then huh? Hes 3 inches taller and about the same weight as Big Show is now.

Those of you who are suggesting that someone else would have been better in the role against Mayweather (MVP, Burke, Angle) are missing the whole point of this angle. The match is being sold on the spectacle of a 7' 450 pound man against the world's best boxer. They are selling the sideshow appeal of the encounter, not the wrestlers themselves. Big Show is the perfect wrestler for this role.

I know I wasn't talking about the WM match. I thought the conversation had moved to what to do with Show after WM.

I didn't direct that towards you personally. People on these forums have suggesting those various names as better alternatives to Big Show, which I find ludicrous because it shows a fundamental misunderstanding about the appeal of Floyd Mayweather in a wrestling ring. I'm not trying to call anyone out here.

Why not Kahli then huh? Hes 3 inches taller and about the same weight as Big Show is now.

Khali makes Big Show look like Kurt Angle..and he can't speak English.

I thought Khali could speak English, it was just kayfabed that he can't?

I think Show doing a program with Khali, directly after mania would kill all his steam right out of the gate.

Guess I have to hand out the memo. Khali didn't kill the guy, for the last time.

I know. It's just fun to keep bringing it up.

Hatton isn't as widely known as Mayweather is

Okay, this is just bullshit.

Look, I see what kind of people come to these events, since I live in Fight City and all. Mayweather is, for all intents and purposes, there, but nobody cares. Every match that's Mayweather VS Some Guy, the crowd comes out in support of Some Guy. I know that part of this has to do with the fact that the cost of tickets are designed to fleece tourists, but you'd think that a guy with an undefeated streak billed from the same town as the event would be SOMEWHAT of a draw, but he isn't.

For Mayweather/Hatton, the Strip filled up with Brits. Maybe it's the weak dollar, but you couldn't go into any hotel (and I often do, since I do freelance tourism-related work) without hearing a bunch of European accents everywhere. Off-strip bars with British Pub themes did very good business, and after Mayweather won the top story on the local evening news was the disappointment of everyone who wanted to watch the show.

When I saw WWE were using Mayweather in an angle, I thought "oh god, they couldn't have picked a guy who is more invisible." I laughed as the mostly local crowd at the T&M gave almost no heat to the confrontation at NWO until Show gave him a shove. I laughed at that stupid "GO GET THE JET.. I DA MONEY MAN" videoscreen thing and how badly it sync'ed up, and then how the crowd seemed to boo the whole thing for being as poorly synced and as blatantly stupid as it was.

The points I have to give for Mayweather for this thing is that he seemed to pick up on the crowd reaction and go with the flow and heel it up, much sooner than McMahon did, since Vince is so damn stuck in his ways of forcing the crowd to accept the booking instead of just booking to crowd reactions. Going through with the heel turn and pointing out the absurdities of the match, the money, etc is about the best they could do if they wanted to give the match some buzz.

Yeah, Mayweather came in looking like your typical WrestleMania Celebritiy Participant who is nigh-invulnerable during the match, picks up the easy win, and then disappears back to where ever he came from, but that's sure changed now. I'm guessing he does the job, takes the cash, and this whole gig is forgotten by the boxing world when his match with DLH rolls around.

For Mayweather/Hatton, the Strip filled up with Brits. Maybe it's the weak dollar, but you couldn't go into any hotel (and I often do, since I do freelance tourism-related work) without hearing a bunch of European accents everywhere. Off-strip bars with British Pub themes did very good business, and after Mayweather won the top story on the local evening news was the disappointment of everyone who wanted to watch the show.

Well, Hatton is incredibly popular over here. His name alone has sold towards 50,000 tickets for his latest fight in his hometown and he's a 'guy on the street' kind of person that everybody in Britain seems to get behind. Plus, any chance for Brits to get wasted and watch a fight abroad is a big ticket, no matter the occassion.

The problem with Mayweather so far has been that they picked one of the most natural heels in sports and attempted to place him in the face role.

another problem is even though they have done the double turn, Big Show is still coming out and slowly squashing small faces... which maes no sense

It shows that TBS can easily beat down the small guys, making the crowds more excited about the prospect of him doing the same to Mayweather.

But people are dead during this... the only time Show is getting a reaction is during segments with Mayweather, or throwing jobbers pretending to be boxers out of the ring. Plus everyone knows between Jimmy Yang or Jamie Noble who's gonna win.

I think the crowd is mainly dead during the Big Show matches because he's facing faces, for some odd reason. On one show, he's a face facing down the much hated Mayweather...on the other show, he's a heel beating up the smaller babyfaces. I mean if you were in the Smackdown crowd, and you just watched a video of Big Show throwing Mayweather out of the ring, then all of a sudden he comes out and destorys Jimmy Wang Yang and Shannon Moore who are over as faces, it wouldn't make any sense and you wouldn't know who to cheer.

Guest frostdude1

This is essentially a heal vs heal match. It's hard to cheer for either of them, even when they act like a face.

This is essentially a heal vs heal match. It's hard to cheer for either of them, even when they act like a face.

So it's a battle of the medics?

The irony is, Mayweather is probably the best heel character they've got in the company. Mainly because it's not a 'character' as such, it's just him with the volume turned up, as the saying goes. That Mayweather video last night was great.

Yeah i'm not sure how much of a "match" this is going to be, but it should be interesting nonetheless. Seems Mayweather is about to be on cowherd's radio show in a few minutes. Gonna give it a listen to see if he says anything new.

http://espnradio.com