TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Recording Programs

Thought we could use this. What programs do you guys usually record off WWE 24/7? What format do you use (VHS, dvd recorder, etc.)?

I still record on VHS. Usually I will tape most WCW PPVs, as they are unavailable commercially. Most WWE PPVs pre-1997 or so merit a recording for me. Sometimes if there is a particularly good shortie or other match I'll place it at the end of another program. And virtually any MSG show gets a record, especially if it is from the 1970s.

I use my DVD recorder, since it's much easier and more convenient to store DVD's than VHS tapes. I still have hundreds of VHS tapes that I need to convert over to DVD. From WWE 24/7 I usually record just about everything that I don't already have, both for posterity, and for the fact that I rarely have the time to sit down and watch an entire show, I usually just run it in the background and record it to watch later.

I use VHS tapes since I don't have a DVD recorder. It's more convenient that way since I usually record only segments of shows (good matches, either good or horrible promos and angles). Full shows would be better DVD-quality, but I think I've only recorded three or four in a year, so it's not that big of a deal.

Any PPV that I don't have on tape is recorded. That includes a small list of WWF shows and almost every WCW show outside of some 1997-1998 shows. Rather than buy the DVD, I usually end up recording the newer WWE PPVs here if I didn't order it. It's a mixture of VHS and DVD recording.

Because the Raws from 1997 were pretty much my favorite period of the WWF, I've been recording every Raw. While I don't see myself watching it all over and over again, I'm sure I'll want to watch some of the major stuff later on. If I don't record it all, I'm sure I'll end up regretting it some day, so I figure why not if I have the extra VHS tapes around?

I use a dvd recorder, and record pretty much everything except for the recent wwe ppvs, which I usually buy the commercial dvds for (I know I'm stupid but I like to have the cases on display, plus 24/7 takes 2 or 3 months to show a particular ppv). as stated before, sometimes I also don't want to sit thru all this stuff, so I'll record it and watch it later.

I tape the MNW's on VHS, using Nitro on one tape and RAW on another. I also tape any pre-1997 WWF/WCW PPV on VHS unless I have nothing to add onto it. For example, if Uncensored from 1998 comes on, I will use a fresh VHS tape to record it rather than taping it after Mayhem 1999. I like to keep things in chronological order. I tape the HOF, Legends of Wrestling, TNT, Prime Time Wrestling, and Shorties on DVD. I record everything mostly in SP format, so if one half of the shorties take up a lot, I either just record matches I don't already have or don't record at all. I don't know why I became like that, since I will record anything more than once just in case I lose a tape or dvd, or it gets damaged. I used to record Old School on VHS, but haven't done that in a while. I record ECW, NWA, WCCW, AWA, CWF, etc. all on different VHS tapes and just wait until the tape runs out before starting on a new tape. I record WWE specials like the UT 15-0 and the Ladder Match if I don't already own the DVD.

I record the HOF with the biography part first, and then the matches right after, hoping it will fit onto one DVD. This past month, Bret Hart's matches and bio were obviously long, so I used two DVD's for that. I used to not record any SNME on DVD since I already have the complete collection (same with COTC), but lately I have because the quality would be better. I don't record any new WWE PPV's since I just order the DVD from Amazon and it's always less than half the price of the PPV and better quality than if I were to record it using the LP format on my DVDR. Wednesdays and Thursdays are usually my catch up days, so I try to record everything new within the span of Wednesday and Thursday. That way I don't miss anything I might want to watch later on. I don't use my DVR much for that, just start recording and leave. I'd rather have everything taped so I don't have to waste my time watching that all night since I wanna watch sports, news, etc. I do check to make sure I didn't tape over anything.

I think I'm a nerd.

I don't tape anything. That would likely change if I owned a DVD recorder, but I have no interest in amassing a stack of VHS tapes I probably won't watch. A spindle of DVDs, on the other hand, wouldn't be cause for space concerns.

And while it's nice to see a lot of this stuff again or for the first time, I can't imagine really having a need for most of it on VHS or DVD.

I use my VCR to record older PPVs from the VHS era and that's about it. I think I recorded Vader / Flair in between two events I recorded as well. I guess it's for back-up purposes though - it's not like I've watched Spring Stampede 94 since I recorded it however long ago it was on 24/7. Once upon a time I used to watch all of the PPV events I owned in chronological order in a cycle, but since my free wrestling watching time is now usually devoted to 24/7 (with the exception of the Mania countdown), this has not happened in quite some time. 24/7 did allow me to finally get Survivor Series 87, 90, 93, and 95 on tape though so I could possibly do a fuller "Survivor Series countdown" if I felt the need - previously, it would have started at 96, than ran 99-2005.

Guest tdel73

I use a DVD recorder for the Raw/Nitro's, and MSH house shows.

Has anyone run into a problem recording the PYBO's and Roundtables? I try to record them and I get an error message saying it's copywrite protected and can't record. How come it just happens with those 2 shows??

I don't know if this is the answer but there is something strange about those shows and their broadcast rights that kept them off Canadian 24/7 service for almost a year, despite the fact the PYBO could just as easily be something that would get shown as an older PPV in the Big Ones section anyway.

Guest heyguesswhatidid
I use a DVD recorder for the Raw/Nitro's, and MSH house shows.

Has anyone run into a problem recording the PYBO's and Roundtables? I try to record them and I get an error message saying it's copywrite protected and can't record. How come it just happens with those 2 shows??

That happens to me too, I hate that, I can record them on tape though. The worst is that even when I try to dub the tape onto a DVD after I record it, I still get the same message.

DVD Recorder.

And I record just about everything, although I do get picky at times, and outside of PPVs I don't usually tape the entire shows. I make my own comp discs, and not every match makes the cut, so if I'm making an "Old School WWF" disc, a classic Hart Foundation vs. British Bulldogs match is likely to make the cut, but say, Hercules Hernandez vs. Salvatore Bellomo probably won't.

Unless Salvatore has his working boots on, maybe.

I will, though, unashamingly record anything involving Iron Mike Sharpe.

I try not to record anything at lower than sp (2 hr mode) unless necessary, as with the ppvs and longer house shows. so each nitro and raw would get a seperate dvd, and I'll record say some of the shorties or legends matches at the end of the discs. 1 hour shows like ECW, or TNT, I record in HQ (1 hr mode) I'll record the HOF specials in 1 hr mode, then maybe 1 or 2 of the legend matches in like sp mode) as well as dvds I don't own and don't want to purchase (like the Undertaker one and greatest managers). Dvd recording is better than vhs cuz of the space you save. I have like 350 vhs tapes in total so it gets kind of crampy. with the dvds I can put them in cd binders (I have like 3 cd binders filled with 24/7 stuff) I rationalize that if I record everything, I can make my own comps later on. I doubt I'll watch much of the stuff again outside of the historical moments and such.

and yea it's better to get the recent ppv's on dvd cuz the quality is better, plus you don't get the stupid 24/7 watermark as well as the wwe logo onscreen.

I don't have a DVD Recorder, so I don't record anything. Tapes take up WAY too much space.

If I DID have a DVD Recorder, I'd probably tape all the MSG Shows, PPV's, Clash's, SNME's...and notable Raw's and Nitro's. The documentaries they show, too. Realistically, this channel won't be around forever. Not only that, but there's no guarantee that I'll keep this cable service for the rest of my life, so I'd like to start recording stuff and save it for the future.