TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Madden, NFL Head Coach, and NCAA Football 2009

I really like the demo. It sucks that you can only play one drive, but the game feels and looks great. It retains the classic Madden gameplay, but with several little touches that make things that much more enjoyable. The presentation has been redone, and the stadiums look and feel alive, like you're really at the event. This already looks leagues better (pun intended) than the already pretty good NCAA 09.

I agree. It doesn't show off features like Backtrack or Rewind (no commentary either), but I liked what I played. I just wish we were able to choose the Patriots to play defense because I don't want to relive that freakin' drive again. I was just throwing into triple coverage every down.

I finally got my first real opponent in online Dynasty mode (@Auburn) and god, that game was a fucking classic. My players just kept giving the ball away, something like 6 turnovers, only to come back from a 20-7 deficit to take a 21-20 lead late in the third.....and then lose it again, 26-21 when they scored in the 4th. On my comeback drive...I threw a fucking pick, but managed to hold them to just a FG. I then marched down the field in 1:28 with 1 TO, and scored a TD with 9 seconds left, and got the 2 point conversion to tie it up. I wound up winning 43-36 in double OT.

Now...how do I save these highlights again?

I would but there isn't really any point outside of playing with you guys online. If I want any Xbox games I cant get on PS3 I have my PC :)

I understand, but I couldn't resist throwing that joke out there though, it was too tempting not to.

I finally got my first real opponent in online Dynasty mode (@Auburn) and god, that game was a fucking classic. My players just kept giving the ball away, something like 6 turnovers, only to come back from a 20-7 deficit to take a 21-20 lead late in the third.....and then lose it again, 26-21 when they scored in the 4th. On my comeback drive...I threw a fucking pick, but managed to hold them to just a FG. I then marched down the field in 1:28 with 1 TO, and scored a TD with 9 seconds left, and got the 2 point conversion to tie it up. I wound up winning 43-36 in double OT.

Now...how do I save these highlights again?

Go to Manage/Create Highlights or some shit like that, watch the highlight of your choice until it's done, at the end you should get a prompt asking you if you wish to save it and add it to EA Sports World.

You get up to 5 to pick, and only 5 can be put on the EASW server.

If you got it to work, then this should be noted for anybody else in the future who might need help with it.

Sorry about that, fazzle, I should have added this next part to it. My fault.

How to upload to EASW:

Go to My NCAA 09 from there you go to My Legacy and then EA Sports Highlights after this you can choose the highlights that you wish to upload. LB/RB will navigate you through until you find the game of which you wish to upload highlights from. After that, it's pretty easily sailing from there. Pick the one that you wish to upload, then it should tell you that it's in the process of uploading and will take you several minutes.

After you're finished, it'll give you a prompt saying that it is complete.

Another thing to add, when you're signed in to EASW, you can download the highlights to your computer and assuming you have a program that does this, you can convert the file to a different format and host it elsewhere if you wanted to.

Wow. I just found a completely retarded bug in this game.

My opponent went for a 56 yard FG. They missed, it hit the crossbar and bounced back into play, and into my guy's hands.

Since it hit the crossbar, it was ruled a dead ball. Ok, everything's fine so far...

And THEY retained possession. I guess since my guy caught it after it hit the crossbar, the game thought I had possession and had attempted the kick. But even weirder, we SWITCHED sides of the field after the attempt. They were all of a sudden on their 39, instead of my 39.

I played the Madden demo tonight and I liked it. I really liked the "Madden test" feature even though I failed at defending a pass, I still liked it. The gameplay itself didn't really feel any differant though. I'm not to sure if I want to buy it or not but I'm diffently going to rent it to see how I like it.

Then again I may wait a month or so, so I can get a used one. Madden gets traded in pretty quickly.

Fresh off of beating New Mexico State, I've gone ahead and retired from the dynasty. I'm going to be in Illinois until the 18th, I might have internet access but am certainly not lugging the 360 around with me. I've noticed a few more people joined, so hopefully you guys can keep it running until next season.

I have to say, with Madden being pretty much a disappointment for 3 or 4 years now, I am very impressed with the demo. The game looks much sharper and plays alot better IMO. I love game's adaptation to your sill level. Very impressed so far.

NCAA Patch 2:

* Ability to view your Online Dynasty HQ through EA Sports World

* Improved online performance

Dynasty

* Fixed a couple recruiting exploits

* Faster simming between weeks

Custom Stadium Sounds

* The “All” option will now only work when the user is the home team

Gameplay

* Improved coverage on kicks

* Hook Zones depth keeps defenders in their zones

* Fixed an issue with the Strafe Catch

* Allow fumbles to occur when diving

* WR screen routes improved

Bug Fixes

* Sliders will now work correctly

* An issue with missing stats after simming has been fixed

* Ball carrier will no longer run out of bounds when changing hands and heading towards the sidelines

* Fixed an exploit that allowed the slot receiver to burn the safeties in a prevent defense

* Fixed a bug where the the ball would hit the cross bar, drop through, and not be counted

* Fixed a bug that would prevent Hot Routes from working

So I'm playing the Madden demo, and I have to say the graphical update is amazing. But I don't know how much I'm like this "Your own personal difficulty" thing. The Madden Test wasn't that hard, a lot of fairly simple button presses...I then start the game, and proceed to get my ass whupped. I don't know if it's the difficulty setting, but I've had a large percentage of dropped passes, where no one's near the receiver at all. The ball will just fly right through his hands, or bounce off of him which is getting pretty annoying.

I hope that second patch also fixes the lack of a kneel down on kicks.

I've noticed that as I just let the thing go and not even press a button, the KR automatically begins to run the ball out of the end zone himself.

So I'm playing the Madden demo, and I have to say the graphical update is amazing. But I don't know how much I'm like this "Your own personal difficulty" thing. The Madden Test wasn't that hard, a lot of fairly simple button presses...I then start the game, and proceed to get my ass whupped. I don't know if it's the difficulty setting, but I've had a large percentage of dropped passes, where no one's near the receiver at all. The ball will just fly right through his hands, or bounce off of him which is getting pretty annoying.

Part of it may be the fact that you are playing a very tough defense in basically a two-minute drill (minute and a half drill, really) so all you really can do is chuck the ball downfield to a (usually covered) receiver. It wasn't the best idea for a demo; they should have just let you play a 3-5 minute quarter or something.

EDIT: I haven't played a Madden on the new gen of consoles, so I'm curious: do they offer "official" roster updates that you can download either through the game or through the Marketplace? If so, how often?

Edited by KingPK

Guest Vitamin X

I'm fairly sure they had roster updates even on Live back when it was on the original Xbox. I guess I could be wrong, but yeah that's how it's done on the new consoles.

I'm going to try the Madden demo out today when I get home from work in about an hour. I really enjoy NCAA, but from what it sounds like, there's enough positive changes in the new Madden to at least give it a shot. I don't think I would pick it up until around when the season starts; I like having the most recent roster, like the one that actually opens the season when getting into the game. I would be happy to join you guys in an online franchise mode too, although I guess Matt Young and I would have to fight for the Packers. If anything though I could go and take the Steelers or Seahawks or something.

Guest Vitamin X

Madden was alright. The difficulty adjusting to you is interesting to say the least. That drive was a bitch to pull off, but I managed to do it after a while.

Played Oregon and destroyed them at Autzen earlier. I'm not sure why it keeps saying I restarted, I'm pretty sure I didn't. I restarted last week because I couldn't finish the game (I had barely gone into the second quarter anyways) but I don't remember doing that this week. I don't know how you guys manage to have these epic scoring fits with five minute quarters, maybe I just tend to treat these games a lot more like simulators and so if I score first and almost assuredly if I jump out to a two-possession lead, there's at least a 90+% chance of me winning the game since I just wear down the clock and finish it off. In my offline dynasty and campus legend mode, I play on 8 minute quarters and can easily sustain drives of 4-5 minutes each, if not longer. I'm not complaining about it per se- it actually makes it easier for me to rack up wins- but I'm just wondering how people play like that, because I like playing for longer periods of time.

I've also discovered I'm way too good at running the ball and need to work on my passing skillz, but I think Boise State's QB and offensive line just suck something awful.

Anyways, question for you guys, maybe a minor gripe... Is there any way whatsoever to put in your own roster in Campus Legend mode? I don't want to be running around with a bunch of QB#8s and DT#98s, and the generate names thing is kinda dumb (Tim Tebow is now Jim Gray!). If not, I'll just stick with the generated names, it's no big deal, but I'm just wondering. I just haven't seen it yet.

Apologies if this was posted already, but I found a way:

1) Have your rosters loaded

2) At Campus Legend select, choose to use an existing player (If you want to use your own guy, create him at the original roster menu)

3) Choose your player

4) When asked to generate player names, choose "No"

I don't know how you guys manage to have these epic scoring fits with five minute quarters

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't either.

I've had 21 point quarters at least once or twice I think.

Every time I've done it, it's always blown my mind as to how it's happened.

Guest Vitamin X
Anyways, question for you guys, maybe a minor gripe... Is there any way whatsoever to put in your own roster in Campus Legend mode? I don't want to be running around with a bunch of QB#8s and DT#98s, and the generate names thing is kinda dumb (Tim Tebow is now Jim Gray!). If not, I'll just stick with the generated names, it's no big deal, but I'm just wondering. I just haven't seen it yet.

2) At Campus Legend select, choose to use an existing player (If you want to use your own guy, create him at the original roster menu)

3) Choose your player

It seems to work for dynasty mode, but it doesn't work at all for Campus Legend. Maybe the trick is in using an existing player rather than creating your own guy, though.

3) Choose your player

It seems to work for dynasty mode, but it doesn't work at all for Campus Legend. Maybe the trick is in using an existing player rather than creating your own guy, though.

Yeah, you *have* to use an existing player. You can create a player at the main menu and select him from the existing players, though.

There is a secret achievement in Madden worth 50 points just for turning on the game.

"Now here's a guy..." (G: 50)

Thank you for purchasing Madden NFL 09. Here's to another 20 years!

RE: the NCAA dynasty

Sorry guys, but I'm out. I kept getting freezing issues, and then the game just wouldn't read despite there not being a scratch on it. I contacted EA, and they are allowing me to exchange the game for NHL 09 when it comes out.

I could have gotten another copy of NCAA, but to be honest, I'm sick of it. It's not a bad game, but after playing 40-50 games, its flaws have become very apparent. It already felt dated, like Madden 08 basically with a different coat of paint. But then I kept noticing consistent flaws in the pass defense, comeback AI, and freezing (none of which were a problem in Madden 08) so I said fuck it.

I couldn't remove myself due to the disc not reading, so you'll have to kick me, Chris. Despite my distaste for the game, I do apologize to you guys. Hopefully you all get Madden. I have the collector's edition preordered.

To me, the flaws were apparent the moment I put the game in when I first got it.

That said, despite that, it isn't all that bad.

btw, Broward, I have not forgotten about my game against UCLA, I'll get that done soon. I've been busy the last few days.

Guest Vitamin X

I think I might trade in NCAA for Madden, actually. Madden looked pretty awesome and Dynasty/Campus Legend mode are exceptionally boring after playing through one season of it. I think this year's Madden is hyped enough for me to get it.

I'll keep playing in the online dynasty until Madden comes out, so don't worry for now, guys. I'll have to drop after that, though.

I think I might trade in NCAA for Madden, actually. Madden looked pretty awesome and Dynasty/Campus Legend mode are exceptionally boring after playing through one season of it. I think this year's Madden is hyped enough for me to get it.

I'll keep playing in the online dynasty until Madden comes out, so don't worry for now, guys. I'll have to drop after that, though.

I take it you'll want to play as Tampa Bay? :P

Guest Vitamin X

Ha! Ha! Ha!

I would play you for the right to play the Packers, but I would probably lose. I'll have to see what I can take, though.