TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

WWE Smackdown (4/11/2008)

You know I too wondered if the whole idea of heel/face in Batista/HBK is what they are going for from show to show. As in Shawn is the face on Raw with Batista the heel, and on his own show Batista is the face with Shawn the heel. It's really the only really good storyline in WWE right now.

Speaking of curious face/heel roles, what is one supposed to think of that Show/Khali segment? I mean Khali seemed sincere enough with his gift giving. Big Show comes off very much like a douche for punching Khali.

I like Festus.

But some aspect of his character has to be changed. They ended it by playing up that he didn't know that tapping out could have ended the match...and a couple of minutes earlier he put his foot on the rope to break up a pin. That was annoying. Quitting is a basic human instinct...wheras getting a foot on the ropes is a rule that would only exist in the wrestling world.

I looked to Cole and Coach for answers...and I got none.

This sounds like your just nit picking for the sake of nit picking. Cole cleary put over Festus fo being the 1st guy to not tap to the hold. Complaining about a guy putting his foot on the rope to break a pin, is pretty silly.

Well there's your problem right there.

I like Festus. I really hope they don't change his character at all. He's over just like Hornswoggle and Finlay.

hmmm spoilers said Kane and Batista showed up at the end to save Taker from La Familia

guess it was for the crowd only

if they had shown that, then the Batista/HBK theory had some ground.

I like Festus. I really hope they don't change his character at all. He's over just like Hornswoggle and Finlay.

I think Festus has a lot of potential as a character...I just wish he hadn't used that rope break.

...or that the announcers hadn't continued "telling the story" of him not understanding basic concepts of wrestling when he just used a fairly complex one.

I think Festus has a lot of potential as a character...I just wish he hadn't used that rope break.

...or that the announcers hadn't continued "telling the story" of him not understanding basic concepts of wrestling when he just used a fairly complex one.

Maybe Jesse told Festus to put his foot on the rope?

Jesse right now is a glorified manager. Tonight just exposed it. He yells out instruction to Festus ala Paul Bearer and old Undertaker. Sure he can wrestle, but he'll always be 2nd fiddle to Festus. Big Man/Little Man teams can work (see Hurricane/Kane), but both members have to be established to have chemistry.

Speaking of which, why didn't Jesse try to help Festus when he was locked into that submission? The ref was down so have him distract Taker until Festus can regroup.

I just bought a ticket for next week's Smackdown in London. I can't wait.

As for this week's show, I liked how they did the Festus situation(with the exception of the foot on the rope). The match itself was good and they finish was very well done. Taker's reaction to Festus at the end was cool.

Jesse's just a good ol' country boy hick who plays by the rules. He wouldn't interfere in a match.

I did think it was odd that Jesse was clear on the other side of the ring yelling at Festus.

How is that silly when the storyline there getting over is that he doesn't understand anything about wrestling...but has the presence of mind and ring awareness to purposefully break a count by using the rope?

How is that silly when the storyline there getting over is that he doesn't understand anything about wrestling...but has the presence of mind and ring awareness to purposefully break a count by using the rope?

That isn't the storyline they're trying to get across. From to the get go, Jesse let us know that Festus turns in to a vicious competitor once the bell rings. They never said he didn't know anything about wrestling, if he didn't know about westling he wouldn't even go for pins.

Hell John Cena is his "favorite wrestler". Festus and Jesse are loosely based off the book "Of Mice and Men".

Like I said, it seems like you were just looking for somegthing to nit pick in that match. It was plenty other things that you could've pointed out, other than a damn rope break.

They didn't tell us he didn't know anything about wrestling?

So...they didn't spend the match commentating about whether Festus had any understanding of his situation, opponent...or whether or not he knew that tapping out could have ended the match? That was just my feed then?

They didn't tell us he didn't know anything about wrestling?

So...they didn't spend the match commentating about whether Festus had any understanding of his situation, opponent...or whether or not he knew that tapping out could have ended the match? That was just my feed then?

You're really reaching. They've never made it known that he knows nothing about wrestling, if he didn't know about wrestling, he wouldn't go for pins. The commentators put over 2 scenarios, one was did Festus know how to tap out? Or Did Festus not care about tapping out, and just kept fighting until he eventually passed out? Once the bell rings nothing will stop Festus until he hears it again, but he does know the basic fundamentals of wrestling. He knows to stand on the apron until he gets the tag when he's teaming with Jesse. He knows to go for pins when he thinks an opponent is finished. He knows to tag Jesse before he picks him (Jesse) up and launches him in to a guy, to finish a match. He knows to put his foot on the rope when somebody is pinning him. But he won't quit when he's put in a submission hold, because he never heard the second bell ring, and until he hears it he is an out of control competitor.

This shouldn't be really be that hard to understand.

My only point was that it's absurd for them to talk about him not understanding how to tap out when he knew enough to use a rope break.

It's absolutely retraded to continue questioning in commentary what he understands (which...they do) when he shows to understand pretty much everything.

The left hand isn't watching what the right hand is doing.

That was the only point you were making, you clearly stated that they said he knew nothing about westling. They never said that, the storyline they tried to get across was did Festus have the mental state to understand what he was stepping in to the ring with, in the Undertaker. They clearly stated that he could make his career in the match, and become a main eventer.

Cole - The Undertaker loves mind games, but they might not work on Festus, because you don’t know what he’s thinking.

Coach - This is a night that could change Festus’s career - HE COULD BECOME A MAIN EVENTER!

Cole - Does he understand that he’s in the ring with the legend, and that he could make his career tonight!?

Coach - It could be to his benefit to not know that, and not worry about it.

- THAT IS THE LONGEST WE’VE SEEN ANYONE IN THAT DEVASTATING HOLD! What are the after effects of that hold? Everyone else has tapped out by that point! Is Festus okay?

They never once said Festus knew nothing about wrestling, and it was never the story they tried to put over.

My only point was that it's absurd for them to talk about him not understanding how to tap out when he knew enough to use a rope break.

It's absolutely retraded to continue questioning in commentary what he understands (which...they do) when he shows to understand pretty much everything.

The left hand isn't watching what the right hand is doing.

Well the story was that Festus was fighting to the rope and then blacked out to the GOGO. Maybe he doesn't know how to submit, but knows how to prolong the match. More than likely he's not going to do anything that will cause him to lose, but has a grasp of ring awareness/the rules.

It's a simple NEVA SURRENDAH! precident, he's not Kamala who had to be told to roll people over and can't pin them if they are on their stomach. He's just a Pavlovian experiment.

Side note, they really need to give the Gogo a gimmicked name. "THAT SUBMISSION MOVE!" sucks as a call.

I like Festus.

But some aspect of his character has to be changed. They ended it by playing up that he didn't know that tapping out could have ended the match...and a couple of minutes earlier he put his foot on the rope to break up a pin. That was annoying. Quitting is a basic human instinct...wheras getting a foot on the ropes is a rule that would only exist in the wrestling world.

This is exactly what I said before you decided to make it a pissing contest.

So explain to me how he wouldn't understand what tapping out was (which they put over on commentary) but does get the concept of getting his foot on the rope?

Why is the commentary telling me one thing when the work in the ring is showing me something different?

I don't see how you consider the question "reaching" for something to complain about when I first put over that I liked te character...and then made one comment about something that didn't make much sense.

This is the appropriate place to make such a comment isn't it? In the Smackdown thread of the Smackdown I had just watched? I like to do that sometimes... Post about the things that I watch.

I will agree that the commentary was retarded, but half the time I'm doing other stuff and not listening to the commentary anyways so I just follow the story in ring which is where I was coming from.

I note that bps was talking to Truth in his above post as well. Just clarifying my stance.

MVP's pure ownage of Coach was awesome.

"You know, I’ve read that Cole and JBL were voted the sixth best announce team ever, and now that you’re here Coach, it’s been voted as one of the worst. How does that happen?"

And Morrison is like Michaels in 93... it's there and he's going to be huge in the next year. Man, Miz and Morrison have improved so much, especially The Miz once he realized he could work snug and still stooge it up. This team does what DX 2006 was trying to do and they pull it off effortlessly.

Side note, they really need to give the Gogo a gimmicked name. "THAT SUBMISSION MOVE!" sucks as a call.

Yeah, but that would take away the "mysterious" aura they've been trying to build around this move.

Yeah, but that would take away the "mysterious" aura they've been trying to build around this move.

Is it any less effective to give the move a name and still have it completely destroy people? As long as it's over as a finisher and seen as a definitive end to the match there's no mysterious aura that needs to be sold. If anything having it be nameless and having Cole scream out "THAT SUBMISSION MOVE!" tarnishes any mystery or suspense that the Gogo has.

If Cole and Coach had said "Festus doesn't know the meaning of the word quit~!", would be arguing back and forth over whether Festus had ever read a dictionary in his life or at what grade he graduated school?

Bloody hell.

This has no doubt come up a million times already but i've yet to see it.. but has anyone suggested on here yet that Jesse and Festus are in fact the characters dreamed up on this here board for Tomko and Fertig?

Hmm...I wonder...

Is Natalia Neidhart any good in the ring?

If so...anyone think she'll be traded to Raw in the future for a Women's Title feud once we have a face women's champ again?

Or hell, do a Heel vs. Heel feud between Beth and Natalia.

Hmm...I wonder...

Is Natalia Neidhart any good in the ring?

If so...anyone think she'll be traded to Raw in the future for a Women's Title feud once we have a face women's champ again?

Or hell, do a Heel vs. Heel feud between Beth and Natalia.

Neidhart is at least as good as the best women's wrestler in WWE right now, and makes most of them look like monkeys. The fact that they've started her career on Smackdown in very puzzling. I guess it's just because the current women's champ is a heel...