TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

King of the Ring tournament to return

WWE TO BRING BACK KING OF THE RING TOURNAMENT

by Buck Woodward @ 2:50 PM on 4/14/2008

Sources have informed me that the word going around backstage at Raw in London today is that next week's Raw, which is a three-hour event, will be built around a one-night "King Of The Ring" tournament. From what I've been told, the belief is that the whole tournament will be held over the course of the show next week, with all tournament matches being held that night. I have not gotten this confirmed, but I believe it will be an eight-man tournament.

King Santino would be comic gold

My god did you read my mind. That was the first think that I thought of. That would take his feud with Lawler to the next level.

Yeah...but Santino would have to win 3 matches...has he done that in total?

I don't care how they do it... I just want it done.

I concur, King Santino would be even better than him insulting Jared The Subway guy and then stealing Lawlers sub and eating it.

King Santino would be comic gold

But more than likely someone lame like King Kennedy

Oh god.

King Ken Kennedy?

Yeah, that's a LOCK. Vince won't pass up a chance to use that acronym.

I hope SD talent is involved. They should definitely give it to Kennedy though.

God, I missed the 8 Man Tournament in One Night format. Those were the days.

My first thought was Santino too, but they'd be best served giving it to someone who doesn't actually have a gimmick and is treading water, so they can reinvent him. Like King Bookah~!

That pretty much describes Kennedy perfectly.

The three hour format could allow for a couple of really good matches to get time. Since the top guys will be busy with building the F4W match, I assume none of them will be involved. Who would the eight men be?

Santino, Michaels, Jericho, Carlito, Kennedy, Umaga would appear obvious. That leaves the tag team guys along with Heat fodder.

Santino could easily reach the finals by drawing Michaels in the first round and getting a cheap win thanks to Batista, manages a bye to the finals in some manner but it'd be a waste. Santino is still fresh enough that he doesn't need a character overhaul. Kennedy would be ideal as long as he isn't overdoing the King aspect but rather "beating three guys in one night".

I hope they use it to "make" an undercard guy rather than just further put over a top guy. My personal choice would be Trevor Murdoch winning the tourney, though I agree that King Kennedy is the most likely.

All hail King Kennedy.....Kennedy!

I'm excited about this. While KOTR has seen better days in terms of being a PPV draw, it should make for a fun one night tourney on Raw. Anyone know who all is in it, or what the bracket is?

If I had to guess, I'd assume the tournament would include guys from all 3 brands, and only guys who don't have a match at Backlash that they are preparing for. Therefore, I see the 8 men being something like Jericho, Carlito, Kennedy, Umaga, Punk, Finlay, Shelton and Henry.

Henry only because I can't see only one of Morrison/Miz getting in like they did for MITB. Unless Miz beats Morrison to qualify for KOTR or something. That would be pretty cool.

If it's just Raw guys, I'd go with:

Jericho/JBL/Kennedy/Santino/Matt Hardy/Big Show(both Hardy and Big Show seem to be jumping shows back and forth lately)/Umaga/...I have no idea for the last person. One of Londrick? Cody or Holly?

Just noticed how weak Raw is for midcard faces.

if it's all 3 brands, Mark Henry.

If it's just Raw, then I see a lot of DQ/Run-Ins building for the PPV

hell the last match might be a double count out or some stupid finish and a rematch at the ppv.

King Jericho over HBK with help from Batista in the finals (with Jericho willingly accepting the help or bumping into Batista earlier in the show). That would turn him heel obviously, but it could work.

There should be a 4-man tournament on Heat to determine who goes to the KOTR. Could be like getting into the NCAA tournament by winning the Horizon League championship. Automatic bid. Duggan/Snitsky and Venis/Hass could be the matchups. Just trying to give Heat ANY kind of purpose.

On WWE.com there is an image advertising KOTR and it shows Jericho, Umaga, HBK, Punk, Batista, Big Show, Triple H and MVP. But when you go to the preview, it mentions Kennedy or Finlay possibly becoming king. I hope those aren't the 8 guys in the match, because then we know who is winning..