TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

King of the Ring tournament to return

Did not realize there was a thread for this. But as I posted in the Raw thread

List of competitors in the KOTR next week.

Jericho

Umaga

HBK

CM Punk

Batista

Big Show

Triple H

MVP

as per WWE.com. Altough didn't realize others were mentioned in the write up, so looks like that's not all of the competitors, although I can't imagine that many more people being in, even if it is 3 hours.

Did not realize there was a thread for this. But as I posted in the Raw thread

List of competitors in the KOTR next week.

Jericho

Umaga

HBK

CM Punk

Batista

Big Show

Triple H

MVP

as per WWE.com

Read my post, and/or the written preview on WWE.com.

EDIT: I guess you noticed.

I love the idea of a one night tournament, the way it used to be before it became a big PPV thing. Also I call MVP for winner of this.

I can't see MVP winning it. He's already the longest US champ since they brought back the belt plus his storyline with Matt Hardy is just starting to get warm again.

If those 8 are in it, then I'd go with YOUMANGA

Punk is already the MitB guy

HBK/Batista has an interesting thing going on and Jericho looks like the next guy up for HBK.

Khali will cost Show a match

HHH is the King Of Kings...but being KotR again wouldn't help him any except some extra sales on his DVD

I think they're doing the ol' bait and switch - HHH, HBK, Batista are not going to be in it. And considering they'd only lose via outside interference to keep them all strong given the PPV in a weeks time - it might be better that way.

KING OF THE RING UPDATE

by Dave Scherer @ 11:09 AM on 4/15/2008

After posting a graphic last night on their company website showing the photos of Chris Jericho, Umaga, Shawn Michaels, CM Punk, Batista, Big Show, Triple H and MVP as appearing in next week's King Of The Ring tournament on Raw (not to mention making reference to Ken Kennedy and Fit Finlay in the story), creative did a 180. Now, the official party line is that the participants are not yet determined because, well, as of late last night, they haven't been yet.

Since everything the website does is run through creative, it's another example of the way that the process constantly changes up there in Stamford.

I think they're doing the ol' bait and switch - HHH, HBK, Batista are not going to be in it. And considering they'd only lose via outside interference to keep them all strong given the PPV in a weeks time - it might be better that way.

Agreed, wrestlers who have all been multiple time top champions in WWE hardly need a King of the Ring title. The point of KOTR should be to jump start someone up a higher level.

Oh god.

King Ken Kennedy?

Yeah, that's a LOCK. Vince won't pass up a chance to use that acronym.

Ken Kennedy is not the only wrestler who could be affixed with that acronym.

Kofi Kingston would also qualify.

Oh god.

King Ken Kennedy?

Yeah, that's a LOCK. Vince won't pass up a chance to use that acronym.

Ken Kennedy is not the only wrestler who could be affixed with that acronym.

Kofi Kingston would also qualify.

now THAT is something I can see Vince doing!

"haha, he's a black guy, you see, and his initials are K.K.K. HAHA GET IT?"

Ugh, why does Kennedy get so much love around here? Is it because he does that lame gimmick of saying his name twice? He sucks in the ring, he's not very good on the mic and there isn't anything distinctive about him.

Ugh, why does Kennedy get so much love around here? Is it because he does that lame gimmick of saying his name twice? He sucks in the ring, he's not very good on the mic and there isn't anything distinctive about him.

I can understand people not liking him, and maybe he isn't exactly John Walters in the ring, but seriously...

To say that he is not good on the mic and that there is nothing distinctive about him is ludicrous.

Agreed, wrestlers who have all been multiple time top champions in WWE hardly need a King of the Ring title. The point of KOTR should be to jump start someone up a higher level.

Yes that is true in theory. But having a tournament pop up on us at the last minute isn't going to do much. It'd be akin to winning a battle royal that is announced in the same fashion. Don't kid yourself into thinking this would mean something. Did they even say what the winner gets, besides the "King" title?

Not really. You used to have qualifiers occur over the course of the pre-PPV build. Yes beating three men in one night means "something". But isn't that something a battle royal winner could claim? Or a gauntlet winner? What distinguishes this from those things? Because it has a defunct PPV name/concept slapped on it? I didn't like it when it was resurrected as a Smackdown TV only tournament, but at least they could build the tournament over time and made it mean more than it really did. This? If you miss Raw this Monday, you miss it all.

I MUCH prefer when it was a one night tournament. Winning 3 matches in a month does nothing for me. Winning 3 matches in a night is pretty cool. It's like the Giants winning the SuperBowl...they only had to be that good on one day. I like that concept.

I'd like it better if it was given more advance notice. Hell from that newsbit posted up there, they don't even know who's going to be in the tournament. What does that tell you? It makes me think that it's just there to advance angles. For example I said it might be HBK vs Batista in the finals. But then rethinking things, I could see it being Jericho vs Batista in the finals, to push the idea that Jericho won't just side with Batista at Backlash in that match. That's if the participants listed above hasn't changed. People hoping for King Santino or King MVP, well that isn't happening. They'd be more apt to win if it was a month long deal like SD's was or if they at least built to a PPV finals. And I can't believe what I'm reading. You want your KING OF THE RING to be the one to have fluked into a good day of wrestling rather than a consistent body of work?

And I can't believe what I'm reading. You want your KING OF THE RING to be the one to have fluked into a good day of wrestling rather than a consistent body of work?

Yep.

I could definitely see someone like MVP winning when HBK/Batista/Jericho keep costing each other matches. Then he can claim to have "beaten" all of these top guys and former world champions. I love when heels can do that.

...except Orton. For some reason his legit claims of beating people do nothing for me.