TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

The 2008 NFL Draft Thread.

So I just got back from Reliant Stadium where they were holding a draft party.

As we were watching, we figured we'd get Aqib.. maybe Jenkins at our original pick. We then realize that Mendenhall is falling into our lap.. that we can get a solid RB and pick up an OT later.

...but we trade. Most boo but some figure that we were able to get a 2nd rounder in the deal. Nope, a 3rd and 6th. Nice move guys.. nice move.

Still, Mendenhall's dropping and we figure we might still pick him up since well, all the highly touted OT's are getting snatched up.

Mendenhall goes.

Okay, Jenkins. He's still there.. solid CB.

Dallas moves in and snatches him. Yeah, thanks alot fuckers.

So now we sit at 26th and "reach" for a tackle that was a converted TE.

As soon as that pick was made, the stadium became a ghost town. Reporters were roaming around trying to find people to talk about the pick as we filed out to go home.

I can only hope that this tackle can slide into the LT spot and protect Schaub and in doing so, give us a better running game.

Well...my Bills need a big pass catcher of some kind.

Kelly and Sweed are there.

Take one of them...

We haven't had a reciever over 6' in a while...

Take Sweed. I want a Kelly Eagles jersey.

Anyone else watching ESPN keep hearing cell phone interference in your audio?

I don't think its any phone in my home as its never been an issue and no phones have had calls when it occurred.

And I like Tulane's Matt Forte going before any LSU offensive player.

can't stand the blind LSU faith in my state

And Eagles go DT Trevor Laws.

Maybe he can catch balls?

And by the way.... what is Keyshawn wearing? Seriously.

Looks like Philly's next pick will be WR.

Jets need to trade an actual player for some picks. a 4-12 team can't only have 5 picks, that's retarded. Maybe chris baker, or fuck, maybe Pennington.

Terrific day 1 for Andy Reid, IMO. No one would have batted an eye if they took Jackson at the 19, they get him 30 picks later and grab a no.1 next season and Lorenzo Booker in the process.

Carolina and Jacksonville: What were they thinking? I mean, the trades were sort of mathematically balanced by 'the chart', but for christ's sake both of those guys would have been available 10+ picks later and you'd give up a lot less and pay a lot less to get them at that point.

Green Bay: Way to kick Rodgers in the nuts. "OK kid, Favre finally retired, here's your big chaBRIAN BROHM QUARTERBACK LOUISVILLE". Did they do it just to make sure the Bears didn't get a quarterback? And would the Dolphins have taken Henne if both Brohm and Henne were available one pick later?

Carolina with Stewart: I would have rather had Mendenhall personally, but Stewart's a good pick. The team has had the most success under Fox when they had a power back (Stephen Davis or Goings during his surprise production year), so I can't fault them for the HB pick. A lot of receivers went off the board in round 2, though, I'm curious to see where they go with their two thirds and two fifths (thanks j-e-t-s jetsjetsjets)

Buffalo had a good draft. They picked up a corner, that'll help. If their second-round receiver turns out successful they're in business, and there are still five rounds left to pick up another HB to save Lynch from getting himself killed.

Green Bay: Way to kick Rodgers in the nuts. "OK kid, Favre finally retired, here's your big chaBRIAN BROHM QUARTERBACK LOUISVILLE". Did they do it just to make sure the Bears didn't get a quarterback?

The way it seemed to go, Bears wouldn't have taken either guy anyways. I don't know what the fuck they are doing here, but whatever. I guess they are expecting a high pick next year and a draft class with guys like Chase Daniel, maybe Tim Tebow, etc.

Man, Brohm could have been a big time pick last year but he came back to let Steve Kragthrope screw up his draft stock. I'm actually a bit puzzled as to why someone like the Vikings didn't take Brohm...do they seriously think Tavaris Jackson is any good?

And I am still scratching my head at that Jacksonville move of trading up from 26 to 8. It was a WTF type moment.

Eagles get DeSaun Jackson... Can't say I'm dissapointed, it certainly helps our special teams.

I guess it's good......I would've preferred Kelly or Sweed. I guess I just like the big receivers more than the small speedy guys. But, if it helps special teams then I'm all for it (seems how the Eagles would've started the season 1-0 if not for special teams!).

Man, Brohm could have been a big time pick last year but he came back to let Steve Kragthrope screw up his draft stock. I'm actually a bit puzzled as to why someone like the Vikings didn't take Brohm...do they seriously think Tavaris Jackson is any good?

And I am still scratching my head at that Jacksonville move of trading up from 26 to 8. It was a WTF type moment.

Conversely Im scratching my head as to why the hell the Ravens traded down then back up to pick Joe Fn flacco, ie a 2nd or 3rd round pick at best. I cant believe they panicked "OMG WE NEED A QB" and decided on Joe Flacco..oh my..ugh

I watched a couple "Joe Flacco highlight videos" on youtube and the only thing I came away with is the fact the Ravens should have drafted some of Delaware's WRs who were making some pretty awesome catches.

I cant wait for the "wacko for Flacco" mania...

I'm tired of hearing "this guy is this year's Adrian Peterson". AD was a freak playing behind a good offensive line. It's not like just any good running back can come in and do that. After seeing Peterson do it it seems the media thinks there should be one in every draft. Then again there's some members of the media that do call it like it is and point out he's not the kind of player that comes along every year. Plus the Vikings had a very good O-Line. I'm sure if he'd been drafted the the Raiders (like McFadden) he wouldn't have approached what he did this year.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I hope the Bears draft nothing but linemen and runningbacks. They can run an offense with eight linemen and three running backs. Trade Grossman and Orton both for more picks.

I don't get the second round pick of the Niners. C'mon, Malcolm Kelly dropped like a stone in this draft, and we don't go for him? Not even James Hardy? And we instead pick an offensive guard? I'd understand if this guy was a no-brainer like Branden Albert, but I don't see the need to take a chance on a guy that'll sit for another year behind Larry Allen. Our glaring holes are an RT that doesn't suck, and a wideout that can catch the ball. Address one of these issues first.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I really like the following drafts so far:

1. KC. Bolstered both lines with top echelon players on both sides.

2. MIA. Got the sure thing with the monster lineman from hell, picked up a good pass rusher, and got good seasoned college QB. One of their two young QBs is bound to be at least good, and they drafted players to both protect him and get him back onto the field. Good job of not putting the cart before the horse.

3. NYJ. Got a BRADYKILLER! Gholston's a fucking specimen. Also, the best thing for an iffy qb situation is to snag seasoned FA linemen and add a young talented TE.

4. ATL. Another rebuilding team! Best QB in the draft and a solid OL in a draft rich with them.

5. PIT. Mendenhall and Sweed are two of the best offensive players they could've grabbed at their positions.

I'm loving the Pats' Mayo and Wheatly picks. Definitely adressed weaknesses at ILB and CB with good, smart, versitile players.

Here are the profiles on Mayo and Wheatley from NFL Draft Countdown... both sound like prototypical Pats picks although I'll admit to being surprised at Wheatley (thought he could be had in the 3rd or even the 4th).

Jerod Mayo

Height: 6-11/4 | Weight: 242 | 40-Time: 4.54

Strengths:

Very athletic...Has excellent timed speed and quickness..Physical and plays bigger than he is...Has terrific range and does a great job in pursuit...Reliable tackler and will deliver the big hit...Smart with good awareness and instincts...Has a non-stop motor...Fluid & smooth in coverage...Versatile...Productive..Nice program pedigree.

Weaknesses:

Undersized and doesn't have either the ideal height or bulk that you look for..Has trouble taking on and shedding blockers...Needs to be protected up front...Just a marginal blitzer...Durability may be an issue...Probably not a good fit for everyone.

Notes:

The next in a long line of top Volunteer linebackers...Can project inside or outside depending on the defensive scheme and has experience at both...Best fit may be as a middle 'backer in a Cover 2 or on the weakside..Not a traditional thumper but he will prove awfully attractive to teams that are willing to sacrifice some size for speed...He will draw comparisons to Al Wilson and those are reasonably accurate.

Terrence Wheatley

Height: 5-95/8 | Weight: 187 | 40-Time: 4.37

Strengths:

Very fast with good quickness and a burst to close...A fantastic athlete with great agility...Smooth with fluid hips...Playmaker with good hands and ball skills...Smart with good instincts...Physical and always plays hard...Has special teams potential.

Weaknesses:

Does not have the ideal size or bulk that you'd prefer...Needs to get stronger...A marginal tackler...He'll struggle when matched up against big pro wideouts...Has some pretty serious durability and health concerns...May not have a lot of upside.

Notes:

His father, Randolph, ran track at Arizona State...He was plagued by a wrist injury that required multiple surgeries early in his career...Probably profiles as more of a nickel or dime guy at the pro level...Good cover guy with solid intangibles who will be held back by his size...Will enjoy a nice career as a backup and special teamer.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I saw Jacksonville getting panned earlier in the thread. Whoever's doing that is a little nutty. This is already a deep playoff-caliber team. What they did here on day 1 was stack up their pass rush. They're in a division with Peyton fuckin' Manning and the best O-line in the NFL, no matter what anyone wants to say about New England or Dallas.

They'll never win that division unless they can penetrate with their front 4 against everyone else. Houston's only getting better year by year, and Tennessee always plays tough in the South. Bolstering what's going to be the most important facet of that defense long-term is a tremendous move. Expensive? Yeah, but they had some room to give.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Bears take a WR!

Earl Bennett from Vandy.

Compares To: CHRIS CHAMBERS-San Diego...Bennett might lack blazing speed, but he shows good quickness and body movement in his routes and can get off the line of scrimmage using power or finesse. His patterns are sharp and crisp with no wasted motion and he gets in and out of his breaks quickly when he keeps his pads down. He has outstanding field awareness and the ability to read coverage. He can locate the ball in a crowd and then separate. It is rare to see him misjudge a deep throw and he has also developed into a solid cut blocker. If not used as a deep threat, he will have good success moving the chains.

Hooray! Haven't read about any character or injury problems either.