TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The Sonics' Pending Move

Yeah.

Fuck that other team in their ear. No matter who it is. Soon as the NFL comes back to LA, the Jags are ditched. If that's the mentality of other Oklahomans...they don't deserve a fucking team. And surely that's most people's problem with this move.

Everyone's mad because of that, and, well, we're talking about the Sonics here. Not some not do a thing club like the Clippers, Grizzlies, or Bobcats. The Sonics are pretty important to the fabric of this league. To see them up and leave is wrong, whether the NBA expands back there or not.

You've got a pro sports team in Oklahoma. Be proud. Support it.

That's idiotic.

Dama is just supposed to ditch the other team that he's emotionally involved in b/c a new team moved into his state?

He can proud that a team is moving to Oklahoma, yet still root on the Celtics.

I would, especially when everyone's giving the runaround about Oklahoma City not being a town that deserves a team. Why not prove them wrong with your support? Has he ever seen the Celtics play in person?

I would, especially when everyone's giving the runaround about Oklahoma City not being a town that deserves a team. Why not prove them wrong with your support? Has he ever seen the Celtics play in person?

I've never seen the Saints in person, but if I lived in a town that suddenly got a team, I'd still bleed Saints black and gold.

I don't mean to speak for Dama, but it sounds like he has an emotional investment in the Celtics, so there's no reason for him to change teams. Plus, they just won an NBA title.

Just because he's not throwing away his Celtics gear doesn't mean that he and Oklahoma is not supporting their new NBA team.

And woosh al. Very woosh

Man, I gotta get season tickets.

Oh, tell me how my ass tastes.

I'm excited from a new uniform/logo standpoint. It will be fun for 10-30 games. After that? I hope this franchise fails and Dama gains a bunch of weight or something. Fuck... OKLAHOMA CITY! MEMPHIS! ITS THE NBA ON NBC!

It's hard to get a good taste of your ass with all that sand that slipped in from your vagina.

I'm not quite understanding the hatred for OKC, which did all the right things to earn a team in David Stern's NBA.

Yeah, seriously. Hate David Stern and Clay Bennett all you want but OKC itself didn't really have anything to do with the move of the Sonics, other than say "We welcome you. Oh, and here's a bunch of public money to help you turn a profit."

I'm not quite understanding the hatred for OKC, which did all the right things to earn a team in David Stern's NBA.

Guilt by association? I agree, though, it's not their fault they lucked into a duplicitous local billionaire asshole who just happened to be BFF with Stern becoming the owner of a team Stern wanted to move anyway.

Yeah.

Fuck that other team in their ear. No matter who it is. Soon as the NFL comes back to LA, the Jags are ditched. If that's the mentality of other Oklahomans...they don't deserve a fucking team. And surely that's most people's problem with this move.

Everyone's mad because of that, and, well, we're talking about the Sonics here. Not some not do a thing club like the Clippers, Grizzlies, or Bobcats. The Sonics are pretty important to the fabric of this league. To see them up and leave is wrong, whether the NBA expands back there or not.

You've got a pro sports team in Oklahoma. Be proud. Support it.

That's idiotic.

Dama is just supposed to ditch the other team that he's emotionally involved in b/c a new team moved into his state?

He can proud that a team is moving to Oklahoma, yet still root on the Celtics.

Seriously, Dama's been whining forever that OK City deserved the Hornents, then the Sonics, and when they move, they're not even going to become his favorite team. If I was a Seattle fan I'd want to strangle him. I'd be losing a team I love, Dama gets to watch some basketball.

I'd want to strangle him too, but I don't see why he has to switch teams.

The Celtics just won the NBA title!

I can't believe I'm siding with Dama on something

The OKC hate is just a natural reaction even if it isn't necessarily the right place to aim all the venom. It's like if someone stole $100 from you and gave it to someone else, you'd probably be mad at the person who got your money even if they didn't do anything but happily accept it.

Guest !!!

So the '96 Bulls won a title against a team that doesn't exist anymore. When was the last time that happened? '91 Pens?

This is some bullshit. Seattle built a new arena barely over ten years ago. You'd think they'd be safe. Oklahoma City proved it can support a team, but maybe they should've gotten the one that was stuck in a toxic swamp of a ghost town, not the one where the residents didn't feel like spending public funds on private enterprise. You know, the one they already had.

Here's another team that should go the fuck away rather than the Supersonics: the Milwaukee Bucks. Get a load of this Herb Kohl bastard. He has the audacity to demand a public-funded arena to replace the Bradley Center, which is about 20 years old and certainly one of the nicer venues in the league. However, he just spent a few of his own many millions to build a new arena in Madison for the Badgers, aptly named the Kohl Center. It's like buying someone a loaf of bread, and then demanding that you need someone to buy you a loaf of bread because you can't afford it. Just tend to your own damn loaves. Nobody even gives a shit about the Bucks, anyway, because the tickets are more expensive than Madison/Marquette/UWM and the entertainment quality is inferior relative to the competition.

Seriously, Dama's been whining forever that OK City deserved the Hornents, then the Sonics, and when they move, they're not even going to become his favorite team. If I was a Seattle fan I'd want to strangle him. I'd be losing a team I love, Dama gets to watch some basketball.

Yes, because I'm the only person in the city that likes basketball. Me not becoming a fan of the team means nobody will become a fan of the team and nobody will actually support them.

Yes, because I'm the only person in the city that likes basketball. Me not becoming a fan of the team means nobody will become a fan of the team and nobody will actually support them.

He admitted it! OKC sucks! Let's get Stern on the phone.

I'm just curious to see what attendance is like in 2-3 yrs when the bloom is off the rose and the team's still mired in mediocrity and Durant's looking to bolt for greener pastures ASAP.

There's the elephant in the room right there. It's entirely possible the league could have another Vancouver on its hands. Hopefully for the people in OKC, Bennett's got a good plan in place to grow the team, and won't be satisfied just stealing it away from Seattle.

Unfortnately this has been turned into a city vs. city thing. Especially by ESPN. They have continually bashed on OKC and done nothing but hold up Seattle as a martyr.

All the wishing that Clay Bennett fails may be all well and good. You could say "Well I don't have any ill will towards OKC, just Bennett. I want Bennett to fail!"

Well if Bennett fails then the city fails and we're looked at as bush league again. Fuck that.

Yes, OKC is not as big as Seattle. But you know what? We're not too small for this. The only reason we're looked at as so small is because we don't have any pro sports teams. Well, that's going to change now.

Plus, NBA teams in one horse towns usually have pretty good fan support. OKC will be no different.

What do you expect, honestly? Even you acknowledge that the move Bennett and Stern pulled was in large part contemptible bullshit, even if it's not the fault of Oklahoma City's citizens. As I said several months ago, the success of the team would somewhat validate the move and set a terrible precedent, and a Just John said a few posts back, piling on OKC is the natural reaction, because they benefit at Seattle's vast expense. Just turn off ESPN if it bothers you that much.

I want a box of candy cigarettes!

So how long do we think it'll be before Seattle has a chance to use those colors and name again? Do they have a better chance of getting an expansion or grabbing a team that actually deserves be moved, like Memphis, when their own lease runs out? I can't see an actual expansion happening particularly soon, since Charlotte just came into existence a few years ago.

I think Memphis becomes the Seattle Sonics.

Oklahoma Barons? I've seen a jersey for that, it looks pretty cool.

Guest Vitamin X

You know who else gets fucked in this deal? Portland. Here's why: Asshole spendy Washingtonians coming into Portland for Trailblazer games, plus the fact that Portland now has no geographic rivalry with well, anyone, except the Golden State Warriors, who are still about 10 hours away. Take a look at the new "Northwest" Division:

Oklahoma City

Denver

Utah

Minnesota

Portland

Road trips are going to be a BITCH for the Trailblazers; the other four teams make more sense in their own geographic sense.

Seems to me that a good realignment would be if they swapped out Phoenix for Portland and make the Pacific Portland, Golden State, L.A., L.A., and Sacramento. You'd have to change the name of the "Northwest" Division to, oh I don't know, the Midwest? The Rocky Division! You could have "Eye of the Tiger" play when anyone wins the division!

I want a box of candy cigarettes!

So how long do we think it'll be before Seattle has a chance to use those colors and name again? Do they have a better chance of getting an expansion or grabbing a team that actually deserves be moved, like Memphis, when their own lease runs out? I can't see an actual expansion happening particularly soon, since Charlotte just came into existence a few years ago.

I've read that the Grizzlies have a long-term lease and a do not move clause, so it might be hard to move them.

They have continually bashed on OKC and done nothing but hold up Seattle as a martyr.

All the wishing that Clay Bennett fails may be all well and good. You could say "Well I don't have any ill will towards OKC, just Bennett. I want Bennett to fail!"

Well if Bennett fails then the city fails and we're looked at as bush league again. Fuck that.

Your city is getting a basketball team in incredibly sleazy fashion. Of course you'll be looked negatively.

Kinetic had a nice quote in the playoffs that applies well here to OKC.

Let me just say this: I don't care what anyone thinks about the Spurs. Hate them if you want. But please keep in mind that even if ABC gets blockbuster ratings for a Finals series, they will not be sending you a check. You have no vested interest in what those ratings look like.

I think Memphis becomes the Seattle Sonics.

There's more of a chance for the Bobcats to become the new Sonics.

That'd mean they'd have to realign the Conferences again, which I don't think they will.