TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The NHL all-time draft

A team needs more than skill. More than good coaching. More than heart & desire. Sometimes you need a little luck.

So with the (whatever number pick this is) the Northern Lights Five are proud to select "Lucky" Luc Robitaille.

88T%20LUKE%20ROBTIE%202ND.jpg

- Calder Trophy winner in 1987

- Scored 40+ goals 8 times in his career, including 2 seasons in the 50s and one in which he scored 63

- 10th all time in goals scored with 668

- Highest scoring LW of all time

A goal scorer like Robitaille & a playmaker like Crosby is 2/3 of my top line.

Robitaille was one of 5 guys that I'd been debating between, and he was the one most likely to get taken before I picked again, so I had to pull the trigger on him.

And I want to agree that - at times - this is taking far too long; this is my "short break" between picks, and it was still 6 days since I last chose. I figure I won't need to make my next pick until the second week of June. We should try to arrange a time that all/most of us are online at the same time and try to rip through a round or two.

Well, I was gonna take Niedermayer but alas...I'm perfectly fine with this guy though.

15pair1.jpg

Chris Pronger

Sunday is better for me than Saturday, but I can do Saturday if it's not too early in the day (or too late at night, for that matter - I'm not going to meet a promiscuous woman sitting at a computer on a Saturday night, people!)

Sunday is better for me than Saturday, but I can do Saturday if it's not too early in the day (or too late at night, for that matter - I'm not going to meet a promiscuous woman sitting at a computer on a Saturday night, people!)

Look at what board you're at when you say that. Like anyone here meets women.

I thought about taking him with my third round pick. Good one.

I'm gonna take Grant Fuhr.

Fuhr_Oilers_57.jpg

This was a tough pick. I was going for a center here and I had three guys that were viable candidates and I don't even know if this is the best one but his play in the 1980's and PPG were hard to ignore:

nhl_g_peterstastny_195.jpg

Peter Stastny, C

450 goals

789 assists

1239 points

Calder Trophy winner, 1981

Six time all star

First European trained player to record 1000 points

Hall of Fame inductee, 1998

Also my team name will be Gordie's Gang. And as far as getting everyone together to knock out some picks I'm good pretty much anytime the Wings are not playing.

Well, I'm going to take a big risk here. Max asked a question I had been wondering about earlier:

Are we taking guys based on their NHL careers? Or does international play come in as well? Like international stats? I don't know how that will effect whatever kind of playoff we try to have, but I'd like to know for future picks I guess.

And CG's answer:

The answer, technically, is yes. Picks can be based on international careers/accomplishments. Since we're doing fantasy picks at the end, it's up to you to sell us on your players and their stats, and it's going to be easier to buy a team full of NHL'ers (see Baron's question about One-Eyed Joe Malone).

led me to these two players, both of whom achieved their greatest fame outside of the NHL.

My first pick, according to many who saw him play, was the greatest goaltender of all time, and certainly the most feared goaltender of his time. Three gold medals and a silver at the Olympics. An absolutely brilliant performance in the Summit Series. Three victories against the NHL in the Super Series, playing for Red Army and the Soviet national team. An astounding TEN world championships. Recently named as the goaltender on the IIHF Team of the Century, and a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, despite never having played in the NHL, the only player ever who can make that claim.

My fourth selection, and starting goaltender:

tretiak.gif

Vladislav Tretiak

My next pick has been called "the Russian Bobby Orr," which should tell you all you need to know. He captained Red Army during its heyday in the 1980s, forming the "Big Five" along with the famous KLM line and defence partner Alexei Kasatonov. Seven times world champion and two Olympic gold medals. Three times European player of the year. And to top it off, after becoming one of the first Russians to get permission to play in the NHL, he won two Stanley Cups as a defensive anchor with the Detroit Red Wings. He became a Hall of Famer in 2001, and was named, along with Great Ones teammates Tretiak and Wayne Gretzky, as one of the six members of the IIHF Team of the Century. He will join Eddie Shore on my top defensive pairing.

My fifth selection:

SlavaIgor97Cup.jpg

Viacheslav (Slava) Fetisov, D

Don't worry, I had them on the radar back when I made my last picks, but I didn't think either one of them would be taken before it got back to me this time. I was going to ask the question before I made this set of picks anyway.

Fuck I was going to take Tretiak with my next pick....

Anyway with my next pick, I've decided to go old school...

Frank Mahovlich

mahovlich1.jpg