TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The NHL all-time draft

With the, uh, whatever picks, the unnamed team is very proud to select:

This player was often called the poor man's Bobby Orr. He finished in second behind Orr in the Norris voting four times, then finished second to Larry Robinson and Denis Potvin. Often overlooked, he was a very hard hitter, excellent positional defenseman, often letting the forward have his space and let the forward think he had gotten the better of him only for the forward to discover that he had no angle to shoot at. He was named the top defenseman on the ice in the famous 1972 Summit Series, which featured unbelievable defensive talent for both teams. He currently sits at 11th all-time in scoring by a defenseman, is a hall of fame player and one of the most overlooked two-way defensemen in NHL history. Of course I'm talking about:

park_hall.jpg

Brad Park. Defense.

Playing it safe and going with defense, I'll pass on the many forwards I'd like to pick and go with goaltending depth. This goalie won two Conn Smythe trophies in back to back years, winning the Vezina in both years as well. He backstopped one of the most memorable teams in NHL history and still holds the record for most regulation regular season wins in NHL history. As much as it pains me to pick anyone from this team, I pick:

parent.gif

Bernie Parent. Goalie.

If the guy number one on my board right now makes it to me - I don't trust Max one bit - I'm going to weep tears of joy.

What became? The way it was phrased (Worrying about Max, when Goblin had a pick ahead of you as well), kinda suggested to me it was a Bruin you had in mind....but I wanna make another London Byers reference.

No, he was never a Bruin. Max is just really savvy, and looking at the numbers I couldn't believe this guy was (and is) still on the board. I might not take him now, because damn if I need another player at that position, but he's a good enough pick that I'll probably take him anyway. Kudos to Max for totally jacking Brad Park from Smartly, though.

Edited by JJ Johnson

Hmmm tough choice here between defense and a guy I really want...went with the guy I want:

Kariya5.jpg

Paul Kariya, LW

- 39th all-time (5th out of active players) in PPG

- 2 time Lady Byng winner

- 7 time all-star

- 4 time 1st team all-star; 2 time 2nd team all-star

- 7 times played all 82 games in a season

I shoulda picked a defenseman but I couldn't pass on Kariya. A top line of Bure-Yzerman-Kariya is too good to pass up. Doesn't get more explosive than that.

I agonized over this for a while. I know neither of the two I was considering are going to survive back to me, so I'll ignore my embarrassment of riches at the position and take the aforementioned but previously unnamed:

47968.jpg

Dale Hawerchuk, C

1982 Calder Trophy

5-time All Star

Member of the Phoenix Coyotes Ring of Honor

Hall of Famer

17th all-time in points (1409)

Second-youngest to score 100 points in a season

Placed 3rd in 80s GM poll of who they would build a franchise around, behind Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey

I know I have the proverbial assload of centers, all of which have captained teams, but at this stage of the draft it's hard to pass up a 1400 point scorer.

You all know that proverb about assloads, of course.

murphy1997_larry_redwings194x270.jpg

Larry Murphy, D.

1,000 point scorer as a defensemen (mostly assists, he's got over 900). With a starting defense pairing of Leetch and Murphy, to go along with Ovechkin-Nieuwendyk-Hull, I really think I have the best scoring team thus far. That said, I'm sure other drafters disagree.

I wanted to take a forward in this spot, but good defensemen are going quickly, and I'm afraid that if I don't grab another top d-man now I'll be SOL at the end of it all.

So with my 6th pick, I'm proud to welcome Rod Langway to the Northern Lights Five.

langway_rod_norris1984.jpg

- Two-time Norris Trophy winner, and probably would have won more if he wasn't playing at the same time as Bourque & Coffey

- Runner-up to Gretzky in the Hart Trophy voting in '82

- A pure "defensive" defenseman

- Ok, I just wanted a guy with a mustache who was named "Rod'

I figure there are d-men with better numbers out there, but a top defensive defenseman would be nice to have paired with Harvey ... plus the Robitaille/Crosby/Neely line might need some defensive assistance.

I'll go with another defenseman as well, and who better than a member of the famed "Russian Five"?

vlad.jpg

Vladimir Konstantinov

This guy was GREAT before his unfortunate accident at 30 years old. Led the NHL in plus/minus in '96 and was runner-up for the Norris in '97. Gives my team even more grit, aggression, and heart, and should pair very well with Pronger.

After much internal debate, I think I'm going to pick a defenseman. And that will be...

Rob_Blake_Photo1_mid.jpg

Rob Blake. Ugh. A great player, but I don't care for him as a person.

Great pick with Larry Murphy, I almost took him over Mikita.

With my sixth pick, I select:

Red Kelly/D

I've been waiting for someone to take Kelly, mostly out of curiosity if they'd pencil him in on the blueline or as a center.

Time to fill out my top d-line and while pretty much every choice I wanted was taken, this guy will do:

000305256.jpg

Phil Housley, D

338 goals

894 assists

1232 points

Second all time in scoring among American born players

Second all time in games played among American born players

Olympic silver medalist, 2002

Damn, that is a good pick.

I have a dilemma. One of my aforementioned sleepers made it through, and there's a coach I'm surprised wasn't picked. But quality defencemen are dwindling.

Know what, I'll cross my fingers and go with my first instinct.

My jersey number has always been 16, thanks to my Dad, who was also 16. Appropriately, my selection is his favourite player. And speaking of #16, that's where my pick ranks in points all-time. He was the first Toronto Maple Leaf to hit 100 points, instantly made the Leafs better in 1992, and you could make a case that no other player in NHL history was as beloved by a city was this man was in Toronto. I have a 'killer' pick this round. I'm also going to piss off every Leaf fan I know with the picture I've chosen.

gilmour1226.jpg

You unmitigated bastard.

For picking him? Or for slapping all 1992-1997 Leafs fans in the face? Even as a long-time Habs fan, I'll remember Dougie as a Leaf....and I always liked him.

Well, with Gilmour gone ($%##$%^#$%#$@#!!), I'm going to go with plan B...a seven-time All-Star, Stanley Cup winner, and one of the most prolific scorers in the history of the game:

nhl_g_savard_195.jpg

Denis Savard, C

And how about I grab a FOURTH member of the IIHF Team of the Century? Six-time All-Pro, three-time All-Star, first Swede elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame, the greatest defenceman in Maple Leaf history...The King:

borjesalmingthree.jpg

Borje Salming, D