TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The NHL all-time draft

pin_mullen01.jpg

Joe Mullen:

ECAC First All-Star Team (1977,1979)

NCAA East First All-Star Team (1978,1979)

Lady Byng Trophy (1987, 1989)

NHL First Team All-Star (1989)

Played in NHL All-Star game (1989,1990,1994)

Lester Patrick Trophy (1995)

Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (2000)

1st American player to reach 500 goals and 1000 points.

Wish I could've posted the picture of Joe Mullen holding a baby EHME(was 7 months at the time)... But I'm too lazy to scan it.

Good pick. Re: that pic - Small world, eh? When my folks were married, she took on his name, and I was Brian Mullen for about four years.

I'm gonna go with the d-man; I think my coach can remain under the radar.

Members of the OHL's all-rookie and all-star teams, as well as the NHL's all-rookie team. Perennial all-star and Norris candidate, and has Olympic, World Cup, and World Championship gold. Jovocop.

Ed_Jovanovski.jpg

Better get my coach pick out of the way.

He's the only three time Jack Adams Trophy winner, and a Stanley Cup winner with the Devils.

Pat Burns.

pat-burns_392.jpg

In hindsight, I was stupid for thinking that Phil Housley and Pat Burns would be available in a few picks, the former especially.

Better get my coach pick out of the way.

He's the only three time Jack Adams Trophy winner, and a Stanley Cup winner with the Devils.

Pat Burns.

pat-burns_392.jpg

And, if fate will allow, the next coach of the Ottawa Senators. Good pick.

I'm gonna finish my main line with a guy who can play center or left wing.

delvecchio.jpg

Alex Delvecchio

Now I've got a Red Wing in net, on D, and the front line.

There are a few players whose careers beg the question: What would have happened without injuries. Three of the biggest names have already been selected: Orr, Neely & Forsberg. To that list, I'd like to add Pat Lafontaine, newest center for the Northern Lights Five.

lafontaine_sabres280x194.jpg

Battled concussions & PCS for the latter half of his career, forcing him to hang up his skates at the age of 34. Still managed to score 40+ goals 7 times (including two with 50+), break 100 points two times, and average more than a point-per-game for his career.

Know how I was caught between Hawerchuk and some other guy? Borje Salming was the other guy.

Was Hawerchuk the guy you thought I would take?

Know how I was caught between Hawerchuk and some other guy? Borje Salming was the other guy.

Was Hawerchuk the guy you thought I would take?

Yeah, I figured you'd go "Oh, hey, 1400 points, why pass that up?".

This next pick, though, isn't about scoring points, but about preventing them. A lot of great defensemen are already gone, but this one I feel has flown under the radar. Not a great pick, but a very good one.

zubov.jpg

Sergei Zubov, D

4-time All Star

2006 Norris finalist

Only 4 minus seasons

Last remaining member of the 'Big 3' on the Canadians defense:

one_lapointe03.jpg

Guy Lapointe, D

- 4 time all-star

- 1 time 1st team, 3 time 2nd team all-star

- career +329 (21st all-time)

- Hall of Famer; won 6 Stanley Cups

- played for Canada in the Summit Series

- all-around defined consistency

Another leader to add to my team. He could score (622 pts in 884 games) but he more of a defensive stalwart and will make a great pairing with Chelios or I may split them up and draft a few more offensive minded defensemen.

Now I'm pulling out all the stops you motherfuckers. Too many of my sleepers have been taken, half my fucking sleeper list is gone.

With my next pick, I select one of the greatest left-wingers ever. Sixteen 20 goal seasons with his career high of 51 coming at the age of 35. Retired as the highest scoring left-winger, to be surpassed by that fruit Luc Robataille. 1369 points came in over 1500 games, he's 21st all time in goals, 26th in assists. Hail to the fucking Chief.

09F.jpg

Johnny Bucyk.

To add offense to my defensive minded team, the next pick totaled 1326 points over his 17 year career. He never won a Cup, never appeared in a Cup final and was never a first team all-star. But he played in a time where there were even better talents out there, leaving him to be overlooked and overshadowed. Still, one of the greatest finesse players ever:

PerreaultBuf.jpg

Gilbert Perrault.

Had I not already taken two centers, Perrault would've been my last pick. Good choice.

I wanted to take another defenseman with this pick. Then it occurred to me, why take just a defenseman when I can take a defenseman... and a mean cup of coffee?

1931_tim_horton_leafs_in_truck_1960s_2.j

Tim Horton, D

7-time All Star

Second all-time in consecutive games played (486)

Widely considered "the strongest man in the game" during his career

43rd on The Hockey News' 100 Greatest Hockey Players