TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Kamala's Tape of The Month Club (a suggestion for a new regular th

Group consensus: it sucked cold shit, but a quick bit of research proved that it was the best WCW show on television that week. Ghastly.

If you need a cure for insomnia and want to end your life, Watch Chono/J vs Steiner/Rotunda. If you want to watch a promo that will make you hate Kevin nash, Watch Nash's state of the WCW speech.

Truth be told (and Jingus will likely vehemently disagree with me here), the first hour of the show wasn't all that terrible. Mediocre but not terrible. Kidman/Psychosis was a perfectly decent opener and David Flair and Crowbar Vs Shane Helms and Shannon Moore while sloppy as hell was somewhat entertaining. The other stuff was completely forgettable and/or too short to make much of an impression.

But the second hour? Oh man, the second hour was easily one of the worst hours of wrestling I've watched in ages just completely awful. The long ass Kevin Nash promo will make even the most vehement Diesel apologist relent a little bit. Super J/Masahiro Chono Vs The Varsity Club was negative stars bad and featured arguably- the laziest pier six brawl I've ever seen. And apparently it's what they put at the 9 P.M. slot! Sid Vs The Wall was a lot less terrible than I would have thought but they even managed to mess that up by cutting to Nash ordering The Mamalukes to attack Sid for seemingly no reason in the middle of the match. Lex Luger Vs Bam Bam Bigelow just a boring ass match between two guys way past their prime and DDP Vs Bagwell was an incredibly shitty main event with an incredibly convoluted storyline. Not to mention that special guest referee Kimberly looked like she hadn't even watched a professional wrestling in her life. Just awful. Not even Scott Steiner randomly pummeling the Ohio State Buckeye could save this.

I did in fact sorta watch this show on my own time, though not when this was supposed to be happening. Maybe it's about 8 years of mediocre wrestling since 2008, but time has dimmed my disdain for this Nitro. The Varsity Club match was of course hideous and boring, but nearly everything else was at least sorta passable.

Maybe I'm the only one who was amused by Nash on this show. I mean he worked in references to Oz and Vinnie Vegas, what more could you want?

I thought Nash's spiel was amusing at the time but it just came off as lame and kind of forced watching it again.

I hit the jackpot earlier today when I found a Daily Motion user who has posted two Nitros circa January '01 and Fall Brawl '00 in their entirety. I think The Nitro from the night after Sin might be a good choice for another one. In retrospect, the segment where they show Sid's gruesome leg break in various angles is unintentional morbid comedy gold. Besides the Nitros might actually be pretty good ( I liked early '01 WCW) or at the very least, better than the one we watched tonight.

Interestingly enough, I also found the episode of RAW from the same night as the episode of Nitro that myself, Jingus, and Timmy watched. I'd be intrigued to watch that even if nothing really stands out on the card on paper (Main event is The Rock and The Big Show Vs The New Age Outlaws)

Truth be told (and Jingus will likely vehemently disagree with me here), the first hour of the show wasn't all that terrible. Mediocre but not terrible. Kidman/Psychosis was a perfectly decent opener and David Flair and Crowbar Vs Shane Helms and Shannon Moore while sloppy as hell was somewhat entertaining. The other stuff was completely forgettable and/or too short to make much of an impression.

Considering that I've already forgotten what the other stuff was, I'd probably maybe generally agree with that statement. Watching it while in talking a chat room and with all the commercials edited out probably made it come off better than it did on broadcast television 8.5 years ago.

Maybe I'm the only one who was amused by Nash on this show. I mean he worked in references to Oz and Vinnie Vegas, what more could you want?

I think you were indeed the only one. We were all cussing at him in the chat. I believe the phrase "this is more masturbatory than actual jerking off" was used. To specify, I believe I'm the one who used it. I still stand by my opinion.

I hit the jackpot earlier today when I found a Daily Motion user who has posted two Nitros circa January '01 and Fall Brawl '00 in their entirety. I think The Nitro from the night after Sin might be a good choice for another one. In retrospect, the segment where they show Sid's gruesome leg break in various angles is unintentional morbid comedy gold. Besides the Nitros might actually be pretty good ( I liked early '01 WCW) or at the very least, better than the one we watched tonight.

I vote for Fall Brawl. (Not entirely unrelated to the fact that I never in my life want to watch Sid's leg snap like a twig ever again. Upon attending Superbrawl the next month, I had to desperately tell my weak-stomached girlfriend to close her eyes when I realized they were replaying that shit again on the Nitrotron. Alright, I was looking away too.) I've actually never seen that FB 2000, and have been meaning to at least get around to that much-hyped SteinBerg match. Plus, Nash is in the main event, so we can cuss at him some more, and there's mucho dumb shit like a scaffold match and Harrises vs. Kronik and other Only In WCW moments which make us all doubt the existence of a kind and merciful God.

Fall Brawl '00 actually isn't all that bad. Probably the best WCW PPV of that year (which is obviously not saying a lot). There's a good deal of crap on the card, don't get me wrong but I think the good stuff slightly outweighs it. There's a fun Three Count/MIA six man tag, the aforementioned Steiner/Goldberg match, a decent Elix Skipper/Kwee Wee opener, and The Filthy Animals and Paul Orndorff Vs The Natural Born Thrillers is pretty good up until the abrupt finish. Heck, even the Kevin Nash Vs Booker T match is about as good as you're going to get with a Kevin Nash match not involving Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels (

and Kevin Nash actually puts over Booker cleanly. Spoiler in case, you somehow wanted to keep the result a surprise if we watch it.

)

I don't disagree with any of these Nash bashing assessments, but once you stop caring about the eventual fate of WCW his silly spiel has some entertainment in it. Nash would have made a good used car salesman.

The Fall Brawl 2000 era Nitro would indeed be the better choice. The early 2001 show is a bit sad with Sid's leg and all, not to mention it probably isn't even that bad of a show.

There was a Thunder from Sept. 2000 that had a goofy segment with Bret and Goldberg, where Bret just trashes him over ending his career. This would have been a great segment if Bret could have actually wrestled him, but it was mostly to promote Steiner/Goldberg at the PPV. Being Russo there had to be some dumbass moment in it though, where Goldberg says he knows how Bret feels because "I've seen the shoot interviews!" This of course begs the question: If Bret was shooting in those other interviews, what exactly was he doing on Thunder? Following a script?

Cabbage, I found Fall Brawl '00 not a Nitro from that time period.

Though Timmy says he found Nitro Down Under from around that same time period (Late September- Early October). I actually believe I have that show on tape for some reason and besides Nash seemingly beating the entire roster in a gauntlet match, it really isn't that bad. It's definitely surreal seeing a Nitro from the dying days of WCW with a hot, sold out crowd.

Oh, I actually have Fall Brawl 2000 on tape (yes I got that PPV). In fact now that I think about it I actually got nearly all of WCW's PPVs from 2000 aside from Souled Out (which I now regret) and that god awful SuperBrawl that I saw at the sports bar. WCW went under, but they couldn't blame me for not supporting their dubious efforts.

Is this literally a "month" club? Two weeks is long enough. Never know when some dude's Dailymotion links might be taken down. Let's do Fall Brawl 2000 tomorrow night. Plenty enough Only In WCW crap to satisfy my entertainment masochism, and enough good stuff sprinkled in so that it doesn't feel like we just mercilessly murdered an evening of our lives which we'll never get back, like last time.

I can't do it tomorrow night since I'm doing real life stuff but I might be available Thursday.

I think a month is too long. It just sounded catchier than Tape of Every Other Week. Biweekly would be ideal.

Thursday it is then. I dare some new people to come join us this time.

WCW 2000: We'd rather watch this than Impact.

Thursday it is then. I dare some new people to come join us this time.

WCW 2000: We'd rather watch this than Impact.

If I can, then I will. Evenings tend to be much less predictable when compared to my daytime schedule. On a semi-related note, I have a few thousand wrestling cards on DVD. Does anybody know how I can break them up and upload them to dailymotion?

I was going to sign up...but I'm actually going to watch Impact.

I usually miss iMPACT because I work until 9:00 ET and it hardly occurs rush to TNA programming right away.

Not having Cable helps me not watch Impact. I"ll just watch it on Friday thanks to the internet.

Are we going to be using the chat room like last time?

I actually watched FB 2000 not too long ago so I'll pass on this one, but might join in later with some thoughts on it. HH 2000 is a more hideously awful show, complete with the moronic Sting/Jarrett match with a dozen fake Stings running in.

Yeah but Fall Brawl 2000 is on Daily Motion.

I think Fall Brawl is an ideal show for this type of thing. It's got enough good stuff on it so we won't completely waste two and a half hours but enough WrestleCrap so we can make plenty of wisecracks.