TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bix

So, "Ring of Hell"...

DVDVR discussion with juicy tidbits starting here.

I don't have my copy yet (I blame Media Mail) but from talking to those who have it and reading those posts, it sounds incredible, with tons of previously unreleased information that borders on scary at times. Through the grapevine, I've heard that there's a bunch of NJPW dojo stuff (including a detailed passage about Hiromitsu Gompei's death as well Benoit being tortured and then going on to torture others when he became an estabished star), the truth about Dave Lagana's firing, Dean Malenko feeding Eddy Guerrero drugs, and a bunch of other fucked up material. I'll post a full review after I read it.

Anyone here get it yet?

I got it. I never knew training in Japan was that brutal. Nor did I know Lagana was that creepy. Nor did I know Taz had an orgasm after being suplexed by Kevin Sullivan. But the fact that trainers and chiropractors are a privilege reserved for only WWE's top stars, and that WWE fired Jesus (Carlito's bodyguard, not the messiah) over it, is perhaps the dumbest "only in WWE" story I've ever heard. No wonder those guys have so many injuries.

Also, nice to see DVDVR's preeminent high-level wrestling thinker Kevin Cook quoted in a book you can find in Barnes and Noble's true crime section.

I just bought it from Amazon. I wonder if this will put to rest a lot of the stuff about Benoit being a great guy until the day he killed his family BS

I just bought it from Amazon. I wonder if this will put to rest a lot of the stuff about Benoit being a great guy until the day he killed his family BS

Same here. Perhaps we can form a book club. Who's bringing the lemon bars?

haven't gotten my copy of the book yet, but someone who did told me about how there's a bizarre story about a writer watching Vince and Stephanie cradle each other to sleep in their limo while drooling on each other's faces as HHH stared at them.

Yes, this looks like an interesting read.

Jesus. If true, I suddenly have a shitload more sympathy for HHH. God, what carnival freakshow did he marry into.

Jesus. If true, I suddenly have a shitload more sympathy for HHH. God, what carnival freakshow did he marry into.

Probably not much worse than what he traded in for it. Plus, this way he's the son-in-law of a rich guy.

Well this definitely doesn't reek of profiting off the death of a family. Can't wait to give this guy 20 bucks....

Well this definitely doesn't reek of profiting off the death of a family. Can't wait to give this guy 20 bucks....

ALL REPORTERS ARE LEECHERS WHO ARE TRAGEDY PROFITEERS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

You do understand how ridiculous that sounds, right?

I remember a book on Benoit came out about 3 or 4 months after he died, and I thought they were vultures. I still think that: It was too soon, and most of the information wasn't even availiable then. It felt like a Benoit book for the sake of a Benoit book.

I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt since enough time has passed, and it does seem like a proper attempt to investigate Benoit's mentality and provide some answers as to why he did what he did rather than just being the typical cash in rushjob book.

"ALL REPORTERS ARE LEECHERS WHO ARE TRAGEDY PROFITEERS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Oh this guys a reporter now? Reporting a story is a far cry from writing an entire book based on second hand information and lockerroom stories. What purpose does this book serve?! To make the guy who wrote it money, and very, very little else.

"ALL REPORTERS ARE LEECHERS WHO ARE TRAGEDY PROFITEERS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Reporting a story is a far cry from writing an entire book based on second hand information and lockerroom stories.

I got nothing to add here. Just kind of wanted to point out that this was said...

Cause he's right. The author SHOULD have interviewed Benoit and then scribbled it on a coctail napkin.

You're on a debate team aren't you.

Offer me a purpose for this book? What is a person supposed to gain from it? Learning what leads up to a person murdering there family? Trying to paint a new picture of the man? It's a horribly tragic story and any lesson gained from it should of already been learned. Retelling it with the added bonus of whatever partially confirmed bullshit this guy could find is just beyond useless.

"Learning what leads up to a person murdering their family. Trying to paint a new picture of the man."

1. A lot of horrible shit.

2. WHY!? What new picture do we need? He was a wrestler who snapped and murdered his family. Is that not a dark enough picture? Not rosy enough?

And yes, what purpose does any book serve. It's that kind of stellar logic that leads to real learning....

It looks to be a fascinating and detailed book which, besides covering Benoit's 2 decade spiral, provides an unprecedented look behind the curtain with the NJPW dojo stories, real reason for Lagana's firing, etc. Who are you to judge when you seem to know nothing about the book other than OMG ITS ABOUT DEAD BABBYS?

Because any time this guy tries to sell his book that's supposedly about the NJPW dojo and Lagana he's gonna be doing it with Benoit's image, and Benoit's story.

It's kicking a beaten pinata and hoping more candy falls out.

Because any time this guy tries to sell his book that's supposedly about the NJPW dojo and Lagana he's gonna be doing it with Benoit's image, and Benoit's story.

If you are not interested in the book, then, perhaps, you should not read it.

I wish we had the old site still running so that Battlenuts could write a book review for us.

And then someone who reads it could write one too.

And then we could charge people to read it and just become part of the system.

If a book is very well researched and informative, then I don't think it's really exploitive or a cheap attempt to cash in.

A book that's just hey look, Benoit killed his kid doesn't that suck, is.

Yeah I'm definitely not buying the book, I still feel obligated to discuss how gross it is. This is a discussion forum right? bps makes it confusing at times but I'm still pretty sure it's a discussion forum....

It's about Benoit, it just happens to have a LOT of other related information to put the fucked up business into perspective.

No any book that's blatantly using the murder of a family as a means to sell a book. This is a story that was covered to death and retelling it for the sake of making money is an insult to the families of Chris and Nancy.

Something tells me the cover of this book isn't a large NJPW logo or a picture of Lagana....

I didnt even know about this book until today and upon hearing news about it in this thread, I went and got it at B & E. Just came in today, wasn't even on the shelves yet, how bout that.

I will throw down thoughts on it as I go....

No any book that's blatantly using the murder of a family as a means to sell a book. This is a story that was covered to death and retelling it for the sake of making money is an insult to the families of Chris and Nancy.

Something tells me the cover of this book isn't a large NJPW logo or a picture of Lagana....

Are you done yet?