TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jorge Gorgeous

The NFL All-Time Draft.

Oh, and hey, on the first post with my roster, I copy/pasted Canadian Chris' roster to use as a template type thing and forgot to edit out Shannon Sharpe's name. So now it says I have Sharpe. I don't. oops.

This is a really tough pick, since there are quite a few quality D-lineman that I want still available. However, I've settled on:

clydeuf8.jpg

Clyde Simmons - RDE

2x Pro Bowl

2x All Pro

121.5 career sacks (one season with 19)

914 career tackles

There are some guys with better PB/AP numbers still out there, but Simmons' sack and tackle numbers were the selling point for me. With Simmons, Randle, and D. Thomas, I have major sack threats coming from all angles. And since my defense is all about the sure tackling, Simmons makes for very nice fit. He's also a tall guy at 6'5 who will help bat down some passes at the line, a very underrated and useful ability.

Guest Vitamin X

So, with the rough and tough defense I have going on, and the complete lack of an offensive line, I need a coach who can take any sort of ragtag bunch of linemen and make them excel. Somebody who'll show the hogs some love. And, did I mention, my team also has Brett Favre? Ladies and gentlemen, my coach..

favremadden5rw.jpgjohn-madden%20copy.jpg

Coach John Madden

1969 Pro Football Weekly COY

103-32-7 (Regular Season)

9-7 (Postseason)

112-39-7 (Overall)

Super Bowl Wins 1976 Super Bowl XI

Madden's overall winning percentage including playoff games ranks first in league history. He won the Super Bowl and never had a losing season as a head coach. Madden has a winning record (36-6-2) as a head coach against other future Hall of Fame head coaches.

However, the team endured continued frustration over coming up short in the playoffs, especially against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Five title-game losses in seven years left the Raiders with the same image that the Dallas Cowboys had previously had -- as a team unable to "win the big one." Despite a 12-1-1 mark in 1969, the team lost 17-7 to the Kansas City Chiefs in the final American Football League championship game. Three years later, what appeared to be a last-minute victory over the Steelers instead became a part of football lore when Franco Harris's "Immaculate Reception" gave Pittsburgh a 13-7 win. Then, in 1974, after defeating the two-time defending Super Bowl winner Miami Dolphins in dramatic fashion, the Raiders lost again to the Steelers in the AFC Championship game.

In 1976, the team's luck finally changed when the Raiders put together a 13-1 regular season, escaped the first-round of the playoffs with a dramatic and highly controversial victory over the New England Patriots, then defeated the Steelers for the AFC Championship. Then, on January 9, 1977, Madden's team finally captured their first Super Bowl with a convincing 32-14 win over the Minnesota Vikings.

The Raiders lost the AFC Championship Game in 1977 to the Denver Broncos with Madden battling an ulcer for most of the season. He retired after the 1978 season when the Raiders failed to make the playoffs.

Madden retired not only with a Super Bowl ring to his credit, but was the youngest coach ever to reach 100 career regular season victories, a record he compiled in only ten full seasons of coaching at the age of 42.

One of the most colorful characters in the history of the game, both during and after his coaching career, Madden lends my team the old Raiders swagger and will instantly boost my offensive line, which I haven't even started drafting yet. Here's a guy who unequivocally and unconditionally loves football and the gritty, tough players who play it. This guy is the embodiment of my team, and even though we all know him as a kooky senile old guy who pushes a mediocre video game franchise around now, he was one of the game's most intelligent minds at his peak.

Well..I figured I'd go ahead and take a coach that might give my as of yet unfilled defense some love. A former defensive coordinator before taking the job as a head coach. Never won a Superbowl.. never won a conference title. All he's done is gone out and coach.. well.. that and push some god damned good sausage.

bum_phillips.jpg

Bum Phillips -- Head Coach

(To an official) "Hey, can I, can I tell you one thing? That's three holding penalties on one football team in a quarter and a half. (Pauses) That ain't funny."

I believe that John Madden is the greatest ambassador to football in the history of the game. He's gotten whole generations of people interested in the NFL and is arguably more recognizable to people on the street than any player.

nfl_g_seymour_300.jpg

DT Richard Seymour

5 Pro Bowls

4 All Pros

3 Time Super Bowl Champion

I know he's played defensive end most of his career, but he played one season as a 4-3 tackle (a Pro Bowl and 1st Team All-Pro season no less) and it seems to me that he'd be a better fit for me at that position. This allows me to move Stautner to defensive end, where he has also had a Pro Bowl and 1st Team All-Pro season.

Have to make sure I grab a West Coast Offense guy...

Mike Shanahan.

138-90-0 (Regular Season)

8-5 (Postseason)

146-95-0 (Overall)

1998 Super Bowl XXXIII

1997 Super Bowl XXXII

Not that I'm a big fan of the West Coast Offense, but with Montana, that's what you gotta do.

My defensive guys keep getting picked, while my offensive guys are staying on the board, so I guess I'll keep building the offensive line, with one of the truly great centers:

jimlanger.JPG

Jim Langer, C

2x Super Bowl winner (VII, VIII)

6x Pro Bowl selection (1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978)

6x All-Pro selection (1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978)

NFL 1970s All-Decade Team

Pro Football Hall of Fame (1987)

Probably the best O-lineman on the undefeated Dolphins, and so good he even has a college award named after him (D-II offensive lineman of the year). More holes for Barry to run through.

So myself, Tzar, and Gert are the only three who haven't picked a quarterback yet. I really was going to see if I could hold out and be the last one but I'm giving up on this game of quarterback chicken mainly because my gut tells me Gert is going to take this guy in one of his next two picks if I don't. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm drafting a quarterback who I gave serious consideration to picking back in the 3rd round so I think I'm getting great value here in the 12th.

Some of you might not understand this pick. Some of you might even laugh at this pick. But today I draft the most underrated quarterback in NFL history and a man who should have been in the Hall of Fame years ago. And that man is....

Stouffer%20Kelly.jpg

KELLY STOUFFER!!!

Okay here's the real pick:

bengals.jpg

Ken Anderson, Quarterback

Cincinnati Bengals 1971-1986

4-time Pro Bowl Selection

4-time All-Pro

1981 NFL MVP

4 times led NFL in QB Rating

Holds NFL Record for Single Season Complete Pct. (70.6% in 1982)

I could have sworn this guy was taken, but I just did a check on the first page and couldn't find him anywhere.

Fokai mailed me his pick and he selects...

AAEE017~Roger-Craig-Action-Posters.jpg

RB Roger Craig

* 4x Pro Bowl selection (1985, 1987, 1988, 1989)

* 4x All-Pro selection (1985, 1987, 1988, 1989)

* 3x Super Bowl champion (XIX, XXIII, XXIV)

* NFL 1980s All-Decade Team

* 1988 NFL Offensive Player of the Year

* 1988 UPI NFC Player of the Year

Guest Vitamin X

Craig actually was one of Fokai's first picks when he took over for CanadianBrandon, but it was an accidental over-pick since he already had the right amount of players.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah if you look back earlier in the thread, I edited out his post.

Here's what I don't get, though: Why Roger Craig when you already have LaDainian Tomlinson?!

I'm going to spend a second straight pick on my secondary, this time with a guy who is not only one of the great cover guys in history but gives me a lot of versatility in the secondary having made multiple Pro Bowls at both corner and safety. I haven't yet decided where he is going to play, but he's precisely the type of player I need.

185%20Mel%20Renfro.jpg

DB Mel Renfro

* 10x Pro Bowl selection (1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973)

* 10x All-Pro selection (1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973)

* 1970 Pro Bowl MVP

* Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor

* Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1996

Great picks with both Anderson and Renfro! Ken Anderson was VERY underrated as far as QB's go.

Let me just say in this round at least 7 players have been taken that I really wanted. I desparately wanted Cortez Kennedy & Joe DeLemaillure here. Since I couldn't get either one of those guys, I think I am going to go Best Player Available. A good speed runner who was great in racking up total yards. A RB who will be a good compliment to the Juice and IMO one of the 20 best RB's ever:

With my 12th pick, I select:

post-2806-1214977532_thumb.jpg

Thurman Thomas/RB

Finally!

I was this close to taking him back in the 4th round, but chose Allen because of his slightly higher receiving numbers and his SB MVP. Their career averages are pretty much identical, but Thomas did have a slightly better peak in the early 90's with his yards from scrimmage totals. Getting him in the 12th round is easily the biggest steal thus far from my perspective.

On an unrelated note, my MLB was apparently voted as the "smartest defensive player" in football according to an ESPN coaches poll or something. A nice boost for my imaginary team.

Here's what I don't get, though: Why Roger Craig when you already have LaDainian Tomlinson?!

I'm going for offensive overload here -- two backs that can catch, with Craig able to block for LT if so be it, two HOF-worthy wideouts, a HOF tight end and Peyton Manning throwing to them.

Guest Vitamin X

I see, that makes sense.

I'm circling nogoodnick's team like a vulture right now. I've got about 3 guys on that team I want on mine.

sports_action-2.jpg

Hines Ward, WR

4x Pro Bowl selection (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)

3x All-Pro selection (2002, 2003, 2004)

2002 Steelers co-MVP

2003 Steelers MVP

2005 Steelers co-MVP

Super Bowl XL MVP

Steelers Career Records for

Receptions - 719

Receiving Touchdowns - 65

Receiving Yards - 8,737

01jerome.jpg

Jerome Brown, DT

2x Pro Bowl selection (1990, 1991)

Philadelphia Eagles Honor Roll

Philadelphia Eagles 75th Anniversary Team

Philadelphia Eagles #99 retired

With my 13th Pick, I select:

post-2806-1215015023_thumb.jpg

Charles Haley/DE

5 Time Pro Bowler

2 Time All-Pro

Still reeling with Kennedy being gone, but I like Haley as my other DE opposite Marchetti.

My goal all along with my offense has been to build around a strong, bullying running game and this pick reflects that. It helps that I have Don Shula as coach, who certainly knows how to utilize the fullback position. I could have waited longer for some body that can help block for Payton, but this guy can do not only that but is a physical runner in his own right. I would normally have picked an offensive lineman, but the talent difference here is just too great to ignore. Besides, how can you have an all-time team with no players from the greatest dynasty ever?

taylor-66os.jpg

FB Jim Taylor

* 5x Pro Bowl selection (1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964)

* 6x All-Pro selection (1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966)

* 3x NFL champion (1961, 1962, 1965)

* 1x Super Bowl champion (I)

* 1962 AP NFL MVP

* NFL 1960s All-Decade Team

* Packers Hall of Fame

* Packers career rushing yards leader (8,597)

* Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1976

I see, that makes sense.

I'm circling nogoodnick's team like a vulture right now. I've got about 3 guys on that team I want on mine.

It's too bad he actually got a late pick in a couple rounds ago, because I doubt any of his good players will get back to us if he misses this round.

Guest Vitamin X

Damn Kahran, that was cold, brother. I was going to take Taylor very, very soon. Hell of a pick there.

It's been over eight hours so I'm jumping in with my pick.

Johnson_Jimmy_Action.jpg

Jimmy Johnson, Cornerback

San Francisco 49ers 1961-1976

Hall of Fame - 1994

5-time Pro Bowl Selection

4-time 1st Team All-Pro

1970's All-Decade Team

Sports Illustrated All-Century Team

Sorry, I was away for the whole day, but I still got my guy...

s_wisniewski_ht.jpg

6'4", 305 pounds, Raider badass left guard Steve Wisniewski.

Thirteen seasons. Eight Pro Bowls (1991-1996, 1998 and 2001). Voted to 1990 NFL All-Decade team. And most importantly, the winner of SI's "Dirtiest Player In The Game" in '97...

A near-unanimous choice who racked up $65,000 in fines last year. "Wiz is a dirty bastard," says Minnesota long-snapper Mike Morris, an 11-year veteran. "He chops from behind. He'll shoot knees ... I'll take sides with any old lineman, but this m----------- had me cursing and swearing on TV. I couldn't believe the shots he took." Says a Raiders teammate, "Wiz is probably the dirtiest offensive player of all time, whether he admits to it or not." Adds a Buffalo Bill: "He'll get his."

Awesome. I'm proud to have him.