TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Matt, you're encouraged to come in here and bash MMA. If you feel a certain way about it, share those feelings. You offer another perspective and that's always welcomed.

UFC 51 was a good show, it was -however- a PPV that I didn't buy (the last UFC PPV I didn't buy, and also broke up a nice string of PPV purchases). For me, it wasn't as exciting as other shows (UFC 52, for example), but I don't think there was anything outright bad on it.

Main Event

Tito Ortiz (204.5) vs. Vitor Belfort (205)

- This was a lot better than I expected it to be, and the first round was pretty action-packed.

Interim Heavyweight Title Bout

Tim Sylvia (263) vs. Andrei Arlovski (238)

- It's short, but it will probably make you a fan of the winner.

Middleweight Title Bout

Evan Tanner (187.5) vs. David Terrell (188)

- This, actually, was an amazing fight IMO. If 2005 wasn't so loaded, I'd consider it a top 5 MOTYC. I think knowing Evan Tanner and what he went through to get this shot, and what David Terrell went through to get this shot, and their differences help in making what happens in this match so incredible.

Phil Baroni (185) vs. Pete Sell (183)

- I can't remember if this was good or just alright. It's been a while. I am leaning towards good though.

Justin Eilers (225) vs. Paul Buentello (247)

- You have Flair in your avatar, you will like this one.

Mike Kyle (238) vs. James Irvin (224)

- I don't really like either guy so I never made it a point to remember this one, but I know one guy gets knocked out so it can't be that bad.

Nick Diaz (170) vs. Drew Fickett (170)

- I skipped over this one on the DVD, so I can't say either way. I should really watch the DVD again :)

Chris Lytle (170.5) vs. Karo Parisyan (170)

- There's a throw in this that you won't see done in professional wrestling. I think this should have been better given the skill level of both Lytle and Parisyan, but it still was good IIRC.

David Loiseau (184.5) vs. Gideon Ray (180)

- Loiseau is a beast. Watch him prove it.

David Loiseau (184.5) vs. Gideon Ray (180)

- Loiseau is a beast. Watch him prove it. 

*cough*swickwasmoreimpressive*cough*

EDIT: Since I misread your orginal post, I'll just throw out randomly:

Penn > Fedor

(and now your response makes sense again :) )

Rumour has Werdum vs. Nog for NYE.

I'd rather watch Russian Cyborgs as well, although I've been going through some old Zuffa PPV's and I'm starting to love the BJ, I wanna get me some of his BJJ World Championship stuff. I find it hard to believe that he was able to win, I mean I guess it must be true, but when I watch him in MMA he doesn't scream "BJJ World Champ bitch!" to me.

BJ was never a rapid-fire, submission-first type BJJ artist. His strengths have actually been close to that of a wrestler, having good takedowns, takedown D and ground control. Also his positioning skills are top notch, as is his scrambling, but those aren't usually what people think of when they think "BJJ World Champion." Besides, how many other fighters out there could more or less dominate Rodrigo Gracie on the ground?

Positioning skills as in ability to hold a mount, sidemount, etc.?

I would just imagine that anyone that is good enough to become a BJJ black belt would be well rounded enough to be great on top in addition to having a very good guard.

What do you mean by "scrambling"? His ability to dominate when no one has an edge on the mat, like when both fighters are on their knees and jockeying for position or something?

"All blackbelts are not created equal" is a phrase I recall that seems to fit.

Yes, most BJJ blackbelts are likely to have a good top control, but there's obviously a world of difference between the control of someone like Penn and the control of someone like Wanderlei. Of course, on the other hand, BJ's guard is not on the level of someone like Minotauro. But while BJ may not be a great guard player, he's able to use the skills he does have to dominate some very good fighters on the ground, and make it look easy while doing it.

As far as scrambling, you more or less got it, as it generally refers to both fighters jockeying for position, for example after a thwarted takedown that leaves neither guy with an advantage (IE- Diaz/Sanchez).

Ill go against the grain here and say that Tanner/Tyrell was grossly overrated. Fun stuff but once Tanner gets the mount it slows down drastically and IMO hurts the fight considering the pace they started at.

Guest Brian

I think Southworth is pretty much done. After losing in the competition, losing to Hoger, and drawing Dana's ire, I doubt he'll get a job.

Oh yes he does. But that doesn't even register on the top-five ass-beatings of the year in the grand scheme of things.

I think the context made it one of the best ass beatings of the year. The old vet in Tanner coming close to losing it quickly after the new kid in Terrell sinks in the choke. Nu uh. It's gonna take more than that to put this ol dog away. Tanner gets the advantage afterwards, and starts to lay into Terrell. Terrell could dish it out, now let's see how he takes it. Tanner survived, can he?

Guest Brian

I don't quite get the move personally. And I'm not sure I believe it. The only MMA site that reporting it is BJJ Europe, which is where Meltzer got his update from.

Unless the UFC is planning starting up some type of legend-related bullshit like WWE there's really no reason for either Pat or Carlos to be the coaches unless either of them is planning a comeback.

Guest Brian

Okay, all the talk has completely shifted toward Ken and Tito as coaches, which makes a ton more sense as far as a fight goes (although I don't know how they'll sell Ken after the Franklin loss). Tito flew in last night, Ken this morning, and the announcement comes at the show. I'm not sure how they'll do as coaches, but it should provide for entertainment and given the bad blood, still should be a good draw. Anyone know what PPV comes immediately after the TUF 3 Finale (I'm assuming UFC 59). I still want my sixteen-man, four coach lightweight tournament for TUF 4.

Ken does not need to be a coach since everybody already knows who he is. If the purpose of TUF is to promote new stars then making Frank Shamrock a coach would be the perfect promotion tool to reintroduce him for his comeback to UFC and the new fans of the sport.

Word on the schoolyard is we're getting Ortiz vs Griffin at UFC 58 in April. Assuming Tito wins he'll move on to face Shamrock in a Coach vs Coach match at the Ultimate Fighter 3 finale. If he wins that he gets his rematch against the LH Champion at the time.