TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Rumors are putting Kenny Florian vs Joe Stevenson on the November 15th UFC show.

I've hear rumors of Griffin fighting Florian if he beats Sherk...

As I've said previously I legit think UFC doesn't want Griffin to be a champion so they feed him guys that are difficult to finish. If they wanted him to look good they'd oblige by putting him up against guys that will play into his game.

As I've said previously I legit think UFC doesn't want Griffin to be a champion so they feed him guys that are difficult to finish. If they wanted him to look good they'd oblige by putting him up against guys that will play into his game.

I disagree...

- Tavares was knocked out by Matt Wiman after he faced Griffin.

- Tibau was submitted by Joe Stevenson in the guillotine choke after he faced Griffin

- Guida was finished by Huerta after he faced Griffin, and has been finished before in fights.

The only two fighters he fought that have proven to be really hard to be finished were Frankie Edgar and Marcus Aurelio...

That's all after-the-fact. At the time he fought Tavares, Tibeau and Guida they were all considered tough guys to finish and for the most part I think that still stands.

Guida has always been known to make mental lasp in fights, and I saw him make a few mistakes in te Griffin fight on which Griffin could've captialized but he never did.

Either way, you can't ignore the fact that all those fighters have been finished afterwards, and have proven they could be finish. It seems to me Griffin likes to play it safe, and doesn't want to make too many mistakes that could cost him to bump down in the rankings derailing his chances of a title shot. And if thats the case, more power to him, you fight to win, not to lose. But when you have someone like Florian who finishes fights and has a huge victory over Roger Huerta, he's not going to get the title shot.

But who knows how it's going to happen... If Griffin can beat Sherk, and BJ drops title I see Griffin fighting for the vacanted title.

There's a difference between "fighting to win" and "fighting to not lose". Griffin fights to win simply because he almost always wins the round and looks solid. A good example of fighting to not lose would be, say, BJ taking on GSP the first time. Fighting to not lose is coasting on an effort you put in earlier and slacking late, hoping to win based off one or two things.

If BJ vacates the title I'll flip. That would skyrocket my Penn dislike into another fucking stratosphere.

If BJ vacates the title I'll flip. That would skyrocket my Penn dislike into another fucking stratosphere.

I don't see the big deal... Joe Stevenson could beat pretty much everyone right now in the UFC Lightweight division, and you saw his ulter beatdown and destruction at the hands of BJ Penn. BJ is head, shoulders, and waist above the rest of the lightweight division, the only fight that was mildly interesting was the Sherk fight, and BJ embarassed him. BJ is the type who likes to be challenged, and at welterweight there are more challenges for him. Maybe if the UFC were to sign fighters like JZ, Eddie Alvarez, Hansen, Aoki etc. I would see your point, but that isn't the case.

Pretty much all the lightweight fighters now are up and comers, so have them battle them out until someone comes ahead of the pack and proves to be a challenge for BJ, until then BJ can fight the likes of Diego Sanchez, Thiago Alves, Koscheck, Fitch, and of course GSP...

Plus if BJ defeats GSP, I think he would have no choice but to drop the title.

I've yet to hear anything about GSP putting his title up. I mean, it wasn't hard to read through the lines when he said that he's willing to fight anybody in the W division who "deserves it" or at least it was akin to that. I don't think Penn should get a WW shot for the same reasons that GSP isn't worthy of a LW shot. Being a champion is about challenges, it's true and I understand that to BJ those challenges lie in higher weight classes (or outside UFC) but part of being a champion is also defending your belt. I was of the thought that BJ wasn't a true champion because he never beat Sherk so as far as I see it he's still yet to make a defense though he's damn sure the champ.

BJ Penn was the true champion after he beat Joe Stevenson...

Cheaters should be stripped off their titles, and not be considered champions.

BJ Penn was the true champion after he beat Joe Stevenson...

Cheaters should be stripped off their titles, and not be considered champions.

Pretty much.

I don't think Joe was the guy to put in for the vacant title, but he was a contender and they needed two of their tops to determine the title.

If anything they should have stripped Sherk was long ago and put a figth for the title together

Bud Light picks up Anderson Silva and Chuck Liddell

By Jeff Cain/MMAWeekly.com

2 hours, 32 minutes ago

Printable View

Return to Original

When Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White announced that the leading mixed martial arts promotion had struck a sponsorship deal with Anheuser-Busch, he was ecstatic about the partnership and optimistic about the possibilities.

“This is a historical moment for the company,” he said at a press conference in Columbus, Ohio on Feb. 28, announcing the deal. “I can’t express to you enough how excited I am.”

Anheuser-Busch is stepping up its involvement in MMA by making UFC middleweight champion Anderson “The Spider” Silva and former UFC light heavyweight titleholder Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell spokesmen for the Bud Light brand.

Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, told MMAWeekly Radio, “We just finalized a deal with Anheuser-Busch. Him (Silva) and Chuck Liddell are going to be spokespeople for Bud Light and Anheuser-Busch here in the U.S.”

When reached for comment, Liddell told MMAWeekly, “It’s great. It’s really nice that these companies are getting behind MMA. Bud Light’s been around a long time. I think it’s a great sponsor to have.”

The campaign is set to hit 4,000 convenience stores throughout the country as well as include billboards and television commercial appearances.

Anheuser-Busch’s Bud Light brand has a three-year deal with Zuffa, LLC, (the parent company of the UFC and World Extreme Cagefighting) and is the exclusive beer sponsor of the UFC and WEC. The Bud Light logo took over the center position on the canvas of the Octagon at UFC 84 in Las Vegas on May 24.

“Landing Anheuser-Busch and Bud Light is huge for us, our fighters and especially our fans,” said White at the time of the announcement in February. “We’ve got the No. 1 selling beer in the world and one of the top marketers in all of sports as our sponsor. If our TV ratings, pay-per-view buys and venue sell-outs weren’t enough, this definitely cements UFC as a major player in sports business.”

Dana has confirmed the UFC coming to Portland for Nov 15th and also confirmed Kenny Florian vs Joe Stevenson for the main event. Also said that it's likely we won't see Wanderlei fighting on the December card. BJ vs GSP for the WW title (FUCK.THAT) is penciled in for the SuperBowl show on January 31st.

Well, all former champions are worthy of a shot, provided they aren't injured or over-the-hill. The only thing questionable, really, is the timing.

But strike while the iron is hot.

Eh, I'd be all for BJ smacking GSP around in a non-title fight.

Or a bar. *EDIT: As long Matt Lindland drunkenly stumbles by afterwards, yelling "LOOK AT HIS FUCKING FACE!"

I have no issues with BJ getting a title shot if he beats a ranked fighter within the division. Regardless of what people think about his fights against GSP and Hughes the dude is 0-2 in his last two 170 lb. fights. The rationale amongst a lot of Penn fans seems to be "Well, BJ would beat ____ so just give him the title shot" which might be true but he still hasn't proven himself worthy in that division.

And Lindland commenting on anybodys face should never occur considering he's one of the uglier men in MMA.

Really? I thought all former champions would be worthy of another title shot when they actually, ya know, beat somebody in that division who'd make them a contender. Silly me.

I don't remember you bitching when Randy got a title shot after he retired after Chuck whoop dat azz...