TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

UFC is getting shunned by the media?

Well... the American sports media then. Really, whenever I see it mentioned... it's always the same, "IT'S NOT A SPORT!" type of claims from writers. The only one's who aren't like that are Fox Sports... but a lot of people don't watch Fox Sports.

I think I've finally decided on "Instancias (Los Vigilantes)" as my entrance music once I become a journeyman MMA fighter.

What'll be [you]r's?

Guest DRH 502

I was just thinking...is there a heavyweight alive that has a fighting chance of beating Fedor? Who is a "bad" match up for him? Is there such a thing? Every fight i've saw of Fedor has had him in complete control, even when he wasn't in control (which was rare)...

I was just thinking...is there a heavyweight alive that has a fighting chance of beating Fedor? Who is a "bad" match up for him? Is there such a thing? Every fight i've saw of Fedor has had him in complete control, even when he wasn't in control (which was rare)...

It's hard to tell; he's beaten great standup fighters (Cro Cop), great jiu-jitsu fighters (Nogueira), great wrestlers (Coleman/Randleman). Guys like Barnett and Kharitonov would probably pose the biggest threat, seeing as how they are also all-around great fighters.

Dude, even before his retirement Bernardo was beaten by guys like Goodridge & taken to the limit by Erikson. Even in his prime, he most likely ends up Random Tyson Victim #30-something.

Also on the subject of how different boxing & kickboxing are: Might Mo absolutely embarasses former heavyweight title holder Francois Botha, then handily loses his pro boxing debut.

Dude, even before his retirement Bernardo was beaten by guys like Goodridge & taken to the limit by Erikson. Even in his prime, he most likely ends up Random Tyson Victim #30-something.

Also on the subject of how different boxing & kickboxing are: Might Mo absolutely embarasses former heavyweight title holder Francois Botha, then handily loses his pro boxing debut.

He was totally on the downside of his career when he fought Erikson, surely you remember him in '96 when he fucked Peter Aerst's shit up not once but twice? As for the Goodridge fight, it's one of the biggest shams in the history of K-1; watch Bernardo completely dismantle him at Inoki's New Year's Eve show 5 months later.

As for ending up as Tyson Victim X, who said he wouldn't? Tyson beats anybody in K-1 history in a straight-up boxing match, Bernardo, Mo, and Jerome included.

UFC is getting shunned by the media?

Well... the American sports media then. Really, whenever I see it mentioned... it's always the same, "IT'S NOT A SPORT!" type of claims from writers. The only one's who aren't like that are Fox Sports... but a lot of people don't watch Fox Sports.

The Orange County Register runs a regular collumn and a couple weeks ago they did a profile on Chuck.

I think I've finally decided on "Instancias (Los Vigilantes)" as my entrance music once I become a journeyman MMA fighter.

What'll be [you]r's?

"Talkin' to you' by T.I or "God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters" by Moby.

What'll be [you]r's?

"Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" by Wham!

Guest DRH 502

Blah "Lose Yourself" or "Till I Collapse" by Eminem for me if I had to step into it today ;)

What are some other good organizations besides UFC and PRIDE to check out that I can get on DVD?

I bought KOTC today. It was pretty much a "before they were stars" type 2 DVD set with Diego, Forrest, Rashard, Stevenson, Franklin, Hughes, Horn, and Militech.

Best Buy.

It's called KOTC: Reality Stars.

The back says:

"The 4 biggest stars of 'The Ultimate Fighter' are here to amaze and dazzle in this thrilling show for all MMA fight fans:

-Diego 'Nightmare' Sanchez

-Joe 'Daddy' Stevenson

-Forrest Griffin

-Rashad Evans"

And then some more fluff. The 2nd disc says:

"Extreme Champions is an electrifying show featuring legendary fights from the biggest stars in the MMA world today. The all-star fight card includes Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin who are both highlighted throughout this show. Also take a sneak peek at never seen footage of Jeremy Horn, and former UFC Champions Pat Miletich and Dave Menne in some of their fights throughout their careers."

He's got two matches on the show and in the first one he beat the guy with strikes after a mount. I was surprised. I knew he'd never finished a fight in the UFC and I'd heard somewhere that he'd never done it period. I'm glad that I heard wrong on that one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I wish PRIDE would hurry up with their DVD releases. They're still backed up to 05.

And man some of these DVDs are expensive. Like the one with Jackson/Liddell? It's absurdly high and seems rare.

Also UFC 39-42 are absurdly expensive. but they're coming out at a decent rate with the UFC classics DVDs. maybe they'll make it to the 20's before too long.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I wish PRIDE would hurry up with their DVD releases. They're still backed up to 05.

And man some of these DVDs are expensive. Like the one with Jackson/Liddell? It's absurdly high and seems rare.

Also UFC 39-42 are absurdly expensive. but they're coming out at a decent rate with the UFC classics DVDs. maybe they'll make it to the 20's before too long.

The cheapest you can find Total Elimination, Final Conflict, and Shockwave 2003 is like 30 bucks from Pride's main site, excluding shipping and handling. However, most of the DVD's from that time period have been re-released, with Pride 22 being the last, so logically the latter three should be next up.

I got some monster, 10-disc (Technically 5, but they are all dual-sided) KotC "Underground Extreme" thing for like $13 at Best Buy. There were several MMA DVDs there for a decent amount. Most of the PRIDE stuff was around $15 (There were 3 volumes of like 5 PRIDE events for $22 each), as was the UFC stuff. Of course, there is that giant UFC boxed set that's got 40, 43-50 and Ultimate Knockouts 1 & 2 for $100. I might have to make a list of what is available and ask the more knowledgeable people here (Read: Anyone that isn't me) about what to get.

In other news: I was listening to Primus because they rock, and I was thinking about their song, "Ballad of Bodacious", and it reminded me of Fedor. I mean, they are both like, the super badasses of their respective sport, and they've both pretty much destroyed all opponents (Well, I think like 8 guys out of 135 riders made the 8 seconds against Bo, and also, I don't think Fedor ever completely smashed a dude's face bones). So, yeah, Fedor = giant destructo bull.

Guest DRH 502

I get most all my shit bootleg for like 4 bucks a DVD :P. And don't give me that spiel about how thats horrible because i'm not supporting the sport, the sport is getting rich. The fighters on the other hand...

I get most all my shit bootleg for like 4 bucks a DVD :P. And don't give me that spiel about how thats horrible because i'm not supporting the sport, the sport is getting rich. The fighters on the other hand...

I just like how they all look on my shelf, therefore I get the originals.