TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheFranchise

All-Time Football (Soccer) Team Draft

Career was cut short by injuries, but when healthy...man, my guy could score in droves. He scored nearly a goal per game during his time at Ajax. Scored the most incredible volley against the Soviet Union during Euro 1988. I doubt anyone's gonna have a problem with this pick, even though he had to retire at 29.

Marco Van Basten. In addition to Platini and Cruyff, the only players to win the Ballon d'Or three times.

Marco.jpg

Career was cut short by injuries, but when healthy...man, my guy could score in droves. He scored nearly a goal per game during his time at Ajax. Scored the most incredible volley against the Soviet Union during Euro 1988. I doubt anyone's gonna have a problem with this pick, even though he had to retire at 29.

Marco Van Basten. In addition to Platini and Cruyff, the only players to win the Ballon d'Or three times.

Marco.jpg

What a partnership he'll form in front of Platini. Good pick champ.

Alfredo di Stefano

alfredo_di_stefano.jpg

One of the best all-around players to ever lace them up. Extremely fit, and extremely versatile. I can stick him almost anywhere on the field.

Nice.

Now, let's see who Huss puts with George Best.

I'm going to be away until late, late Tuesday/early Wednesday morning with my ladyfriend, so the first page won't be updated until then, but i'll sort it out as soon as I get back.

I've mailed dean about six picks or so for me, they shouldn't all go by the time my third pick comes.

Cheers for making my 1st pick for me Franchise.

I've realised so far reading through this, I've got a lot of more recent players on my want list. Guys like Cruyff and Van Basten weren't even on my radar. The perils of being young!

I had a feeling I'd wake up and realize that I'm on the clock. Perhaps I'm making this pick too early, but since I'm putting a FM slant on this draft, this will allow me to use the swap position check box and I can't think of a better threat on the opposite wing of George Best.

Normally I'd put some detail into this post, but I'm due in at work in half an hour. So I'll wrap it up with a little song.

He plays on the left.

He plays on the right.

picture_cristiano_ronaldo_74.jpg

That boy Ronaldo.

Makes England look shite.

Dino Zoff is a great selection.

Sorry I forgot to shoot you a PM, I was in a rush this morning as you can probably tell by my selection.

Right, taking a goalkeeper early for insurance sake. Reknowned for being authorative with his defence (ie. shouting alot!), a great shot stopper, virtually irreplaceable at club and country after leaving/retiring and hey, he might even pop up at the other end and score a goal or two if you're lucky.

Peter Schmeichel

schmeichel.jpg

Ah nice! Star Jump Keeper himself, nice!

However, I'll best remember him for this... (kinda)

I know it was 10 years ago I should let it go... but I can't!

my picks are:

Lionel Messi

the reason i've picked messi is have him play with mardonna and my other striker. he's quick and quite possible the finest player to be playing at the moment.

my second pick is:

Jurgen Klinsmann

awesome striker in his day and proved he could play in almost any league, plus i was after a striker who could finish the quality balls which mardonna and messi could provided

Who'd have thought checking the list to see if someone had gone would be a good idea! In that case, bollocks to it, bring on more United boys!

Ryan Giggs

3469139658-soccer-uefa-champions-league-group-f-manchester-united-v-sporting.jpg

Bah wish I had kept my mouth shut now. Even I, as Geordie, have to admit he's one of the best Premiership players ever. What would have happened if he had chosen England instead of Wales? Everytime should have a Ryan Giggs, a joy to watch and the type of player who isn't afraid to put a shift in.

I really wish these youtube videos didn't have crap music to them... Ah a bit of MUSE, not all bad then!

Carlos is interesting, but I can't help but feel he's lived on 'that freekick' for most of his career. Personally wouldn't have chosen him, but if you're after that style of fullback I guess there's not many better then him.

But how can you take sensational goals like this away from him?

well strangely this guy managed to make one of them seem boring....

Roberto Carlos is the best left back not named Maldini ever.

Would've picked him just a bit later, so thumbs up.

Roberto Carlos is the best left back not named Maldini ever.

Would've picked him just a bit later, so thumbs up.

You really think so? I think his defensive credentials are very low. Launch a counter attack down that wing every time, as he's too eager to attack (and rightfully so as he's good at it). I just think you open yourself up to some hurting down the flank with Carlos in the team - as has happened to Real over the years. Though saying that, I'm going to have to go away and think of a Left Back myself since Maldini is off the board.

I think Roberto Carlos' attacking prowess is so strong that it negates any negative effect from his lack of defensive ability. I can only think of two others I'd rate as highly, but cannot say.

To me, Maldini is really the only left back I'd put up there with greats at other positions. After him there's a real big step down in quality.

There were quite a few players that I had my eye on, particularly someone up front. But with Ronaldo and Best on the wing, even

Heskey

would be able to put a few away given enough chances. I wanted someone who could boss the midfield, intercept passes and start the counter attack by getting the ball wide. In his younger days you could count on him for a few goals as well.

If we're also picking captains, he's getting the armband right now. The pride of the Cobh Ramblers, followed closely by Stephen Ireland's wig. I really didn't want to go with three players from the same club, but I couldn't help but pick the Cork legend himself...

p1_keane_2_1118.jpg

Roy Keane

This will result in a slight change in my formation.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm305/c...ro/tsmdraft.jpg