TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

The "Night of Champions" PPV Thread

So who thinks CM Punk cash in Money in the Bank against HHH or Edge, and brings a title back to RAW?

That would be choice if they kept showing everyone getting behind Punk on Raw, telling him he is the only chance they have to get a World Title back. When he succeeds, all the hype has gotten to his head, leading to his "i am better than you" heel turn.

Way to help out your brand when HHH was easy pickings, Punk. What a selfish jerk!

Katie Lea was super hot tonight and Mickie seemed to be groping her during a submission hold.

Batista/Edge and HHH/Cena were both very good.

Kofi Kingston - top man on Raw?

Punk should cash in the MITB on Edge during the wedding. Vickie finds out about the sex tape with Alicia Fox, low blows Edge and hits him with something. Punk is there with a ref and we have a new champ.

*Backstage vignette taping to be aired during Raw*

Punk: Congratulations Kofi on winning the Intercontinental Championship.

Kofi: Danks Mawn. Say, why didn't you cash in your Money in the Bank contract after HHH's grueling match w/ John Cena? *crowd cheers* I mean you're our only hope to get a World Championship on Raw.

Punk: Pffft, you kidding me? He's married to Steph. Plus, she's expecting. I'm not going out there . . .

Director: CUT!

They really could have some good character development on Raw right now if they had good writers. The thing I mentioned with people telling Punk he is their last chance, and until then, people telling Kofi he is the top dog since he holds the highest belt. Kofi is just happy-go-lucky, though, and cracks under the pressure of having to carry a show because he is not ready for that.

They really could have some good character development on Raw right now if they had good writers. The thing I mentioned with people telling Punk he is their last chance, and until then, people telling Kofi he is the top dog since he holds the highest belt. Kofi is just happy-go-lucky, though, and cracks under the pressure of having to carry a show because he is not ready for that.

Or Punk could snap and tell everyone to fuck off and get off his back. When that heel turn happens, he can easily rationalize befriending someone like Jericho.

Is Punk eligible to become WORLD's Women's Champ?

I'd watch Punk vs Beth.

Punk giving Beth the GTS would make for great heat.

Way to help out your brand when HHH was easy pickings, Punk. What a selfish jerk!

Punk craves competition. He'll challenge for a title when the champ is perfectly healthy and ready for the match - and promptly lose.

Just got done watchin the PPV and am I the only one that thinks they blew a great opportunity to turn Cena during that match? During the segment where HHH was favoring his knee and Cena targeted his leg, the crowd was slowly booing more and more as he went after it. I think they would have turned on him had he went full on heel mode at that time. Maybe it's just me wanting the Cena heel turn and I just saw something that wasn't there. :huh:

So the IC title is the belt everyone is chasing on Raw. Poor Kofi. Was it really a good thing for him that he won? :ph34r:

I would assume that somehow Raw gets a world title in the near future. Thing is I don't know how Edge or HHH would agree to face anyone on Raw at this point, they have no reason to do so. I hope they don't just hotshot a lame title change on Raw, when they should have done it tonight.

Maybe they do Edge vs. HHH in a unification match, then Raw has a tourney for their own new champion. I have to admit it would be amusing to see these guys go through 3 matches in 1 night and then Punk cashes in against an exhausted winner.

The show as a whole was very mundane book by numbers type show. Other than Kofi being the mystery man and actually winning the IC title, followed by that decent angle with Jericho and Michaels afterwards, the ppv really didn't impress me that much.

HHH/Cena had the crowd heat, but I didnt really see much here worthwhile other than the crossface by HHH to Cena. I'm being probably way too conservative by even giving it ***. Everything else was just completely formulmatic to a tee, seemed like. Don't completely get the logic of HHH winning the match other than the fact they are now 1-1 and the eventual third match will be the "one to end it all" or something. But with Smackdown having both world belts on one show, it seems to ascetically dull down Raw alot. Other than the idea of Punk beating either Edge or HHH (and the more obvious choice has to be Edge, as they have already hinted on Punk showing up at the wedding) its' conceivable that Edge and the WHC could either be moved to Raw via a judgment from the higher ups, based off the actions of Vicki in the match against Batista (she would also probably be fired as GM at the same time, and on top of that, reinstate Taker back) or else Edge is outright stripped of the belt, and a tournament is held to crown a new champion, and a Raw guy wins it (more than likely Cena). Who knows what will happen, but more than likely Smackdown won't have both belts very long. And doing a unification match may be possible, but probably not until SummerSlam at the earliest. In that case, I hope they would return back to having the unified champion work both Raw and Smackdown. But yeah, this show just seemed so uninspiring to me. Comparing it to most other WWE ppvs this year, this was a step below most of them, and way more dull than last month's One Night Stand for sure.

The opener was pretty weird to have them work a standard tag match with a midget being the sympathetic face getting their ass beat most of the match, just seemed hard to believe given the way they laid that match out. But at least the titles didnt change. The US title match was just really basic as basic can get. World tag title match was predictable with the turn, but I think it makes the most sense.....DiBiase will probably cut a promo tomorrow saying he paid Rhodes x amount of $$$ to do the turn and give him the other tag title. And wow, that knockoff of Pink Floyd's "Money" as a theme for DiBiase, I get the reasoning behind it, but it really is a weird song to use for a heel entrance. Totally doesn't fit.

The ECW title match was pretty much a trainwreck for one reason or another. Still confused if Kane actually got hurt there or not, as once he went down, Henry and Show were seemingly improvising really bad spots for a good while there. The IC title match was probably match of the night for me, good stuff for the most part. Women's title match was solid enough, but nothing to write home about either. Batista/Edge was ok, but much like Cena/HHH went tonight, it was just standard shit that really just made worse by the booking of the finish. Like I said a while back in a TNA thread, the whole stupid manager/valet pulls the ref out of the ring right before a three count is one of the more annoying parts to a match you can do, it makes no sense why a ref wouldnt just immediately DQ someone after that....and then beyond the rest of the interference and shot Edge gave to the ref, the finish logically made no fucking sense, unless they had a no DQ stip tagged to this match, but they didn't. I'm just glad we hopefully dont have to see Edge/Batista ever again, as they have never clicked in the ring together really.

Not sure why, but I expected more from this show than what was given.

Guest Smues
Wasn't goldengreek the one who wrote a fake report saying John Cena was hated and all this other stuff backstage?

Prehaps you are thinking of Enigma after WM23 claiming that Meltzer said that HBK was pissed about Cena no selling the leg, which apparantly Meltzer never said.

For the answer to how Raw will get a World Title:

Cena and Hunter are 1-1.

Rubber match for Bash?

That's another possibility I never thought of, Cena getting a rematch at the next ppv, could be very likely. At this point though, unless they add some gimmick to that match (trying to think of some gimmick they havent done in awhile and the only thing that comes to mind is an Ironman match) I really dont want nor need to see another Cena/HHH match for awhile.

With all of this talk about CM Punk cashing in MITB, what if he interrupts Edge's wedding at the Bash, cashes in to "catch Edge off guard", then wins the belt and brings it to Raw. He gets a month reign, uses MITB for good, and there's one title on each brand.

This is what I want to see/sort of expect to see happen based on the results of Night of Champions:

- JBL challenges CM Punk for the money in the bank title shot tomorrow night and wins. Off-camera, JBL conspires with Edge and Vickie Guerrero to on the next Smackdown put HHH in a position where he becomes easy pickings for JBL to steal the title. JBL cashes in MITB, returns the title to RAW and lives up to his promo during the PPV. Edge becomes once again the sole world champion on Smackdown. After the title is "stolen" from HHH the plot between JBL and Edge is revealed, putting some instant heat behind HHH v. Edge and giving a shot in the arm to the floundering JBL.

The downside is that JBL sucks in the ring right now, and he was never really all that good when he was the champion on Smackdown with the exception of the odd match here and there, and JBL/Cena and JBL/Batista have already been done many times, with the JBL/Batista matches being particularly bad.

But the upside is that he's a good promo and has the credibility level to pull the angle off. He'll get good heat from it, and they can just take the title off him at the next PPV, or SummerSlam at the latest.

The other upside is that CM Punk has become the worst inside joke in the company and they should get the MITB off him post haste, before they devalue the thing any more than they already have. It's bad enough that he's lost almost every match he's been in since Wrestlemania, but he looks like the ultimate chump for not cashing it in at the PPV when a) he had a chance to be the guy who brings a world title to RAW after both Cena and Batista had failed, b) he had teased using it earlier in the show in a promo with Cena and Batista (as he seemingly does every other show), and c) HHH had been selling a serious knee injury for the last 15 minutes of that match, continued to sell it post-match, and would have conceivable been easy pickings.

Cena and Hunter are 1-1.

Rubber match for Bash?

That's another possibility I never thought of, Cena getting a rematch at the next ppv, could be very likely. At this point though, unless they add some gimmick to that match (trying to think of some gimmick they havent done in awhile and the only thing that comes to mind is an Ironman match) I really dont want nor need to see another Cena/HHH match for awhile.

I could see Cena/HHH in a submission match.

Cena could mention that while Triple H beat him, he didn't make him tap out like Cena made Trips do at WrestleMania 22.

Cena and Hunter are 1-1.

Rubber match for Bash?

I could see Cena/HHH in a submission match.

Cena could mention that while Triple H beat him, he didn't make him tap out like Cena made Trips do at WrestleMania 22.

I would say that idea there is the frontrunner of what will probably happen for the next ppv.

This is what I want to see/sort of expect to see happen based on the results of Night of Champions:

- JBL challenges CM Punk for the money in the bank title shot tomorrow night and wins. Off-camera, JBL conspires with Edge and Vickie Guerrero to on the next Smackdown put HHH in a position where he becomes easy pickings for JBL to steal the title. JBL cashes in MITB, returns the title to RAW and lives up to his promo during the PPV. Edge becomes once again the sole world champion on Smackdown. After the title is "stolen" from HHH the plot between JBL and Edge is revealed, putting some instant heat behind HHH v. Edge and giving a shot in the arm to the floundering JBL.

The downside is that JBL sucks in the ring right now, and he was never really all that good when he was the champion on Smackdown with the exception of the odd match here and there, and JBL/Cena and JBL/Batista have already been done many times, with the JBL/Batista matches being particularly bad.

But the upside is that he's a good promo and has the credibility level to pull the angle off. He'll get good heat from it, and they can just take the title off him at the next PPV, or SummerSlam at the latest.

The other upside is that CM Punk has become the worst inside joke in the company and they should get the MITB off him post haste, before they devalue the thing any more than they already have. It's bad enough that he's lost almost every match he's been in since Wrestlemania, but he looks like the ultimate chump for not cashing it in at the PPV when a) he had a chance to be the guy who brings a world title to RAW after both Cena and Batista had failed, b) he had teased using it earlier in the show in a promo with Cena and Batista (as he seemingly does every other show), and c) HHH had been selling a serious knee injury for the last 15 minutes of that match, continued to sell it post-match, and would have conceivable been easy pickings.

Thats ridiculous to bury a guy who already has lost alot of credibility with all of the losses (intentional, mind you) to balance the idea that eventually, he will get that big win with cashing in the MITB in return. I don't think there is a question when he cashes in the shot, he will win it, just because of all of the jobbing out he's been doing. Your reasons why he looks like a "chump" is pretty ridiculous too, since it wouldnt really put him over as anything but a chickenshit heel if he would actually get the shot immediately after a babyface is spent after a match (ie Edge's title wins) and I think the idea is to keep him as a face when he wins whichever belt. Plus doing the MITB deal this year the same way as Edge did it twice already in three years is just completely lazy booking. Teasing using the shot doesn't make him a chump at all, just strictly keeps the title shot as unpredicable whenever it happens. I think when Punk teases the shot, its the bookers telling me, "nope not going to happen tonight" basically.

And then to boot, you want the title shot, and win, to JBL? The guy is still being bothered by the original injury that took him out (back injury) so he's a less than dependable heel to carry a major belt right now, and he's far from a huge heat magnet at this stage in his career. Give him the IC title if need-be, he can get over just fine with that, but a world title? No freakin way. As you already said, feuds with Cena/JBL and JBL/Batista have both already been played to death and having them headline either of those programs on any future ppv is counterproductive and downright stupid. And rest assured that whoever ends up with the title whenever Raw gets either one, Batista and Cena are the two top guys who will be challenging for it (or possibly against each other if one wins the belt by chance) so they are going to need someone strong to feed into solid programs with them, which honestly I could see Punk doing, but more than likely as a heel soon after he would win the belt.

Just got done watchin the PPV and am I the only one that thinks they blew a great opportunity to turn Cena during that match? During the segment where HHH was favoring his knee and Cena targeted his leg, the crowd was slowly booing more and more as he went after it. I think they would have turned on him had he went full on heel mode at that time. Maybe it's just me wanting the Cena heel turn and I just saw something that wasn't there. :huh:

Excellent observation. I don't think at any point in history we've ever seen the crowd boo John Cena or do the "YEAH!" "BOO" slugfest spot. Especially when he's wrestling another face! Turn him heel now!

This is what I would have said if this happened at a June 2004 PPV. It's kind of passe now... However, you did say you're looking at it from your own (ill-concived) wishes of wanting Cena to be a full-blown heel, thus limiting the amount of merchandise WWE can sell to kids.

Does anyone else starting to find WWE intresting with the way the titles switched? I mean when you think about it, it's really different that Raw only has the IC, Tag, and woman's title, while ECW has a world, U.S., and technically tag titles, while Smackdown has two world titles and that's pretty much it.

Am i the only one who finds that kinda odd but yet in a intresting way.

how can anyone still look at that ECW title and attach the word "world" to it.

Even WWE doesn't try to do that.

Foley even put over the US title as being just as good! I realize that was in an effort to put the US title over and not further demean the ECW belt, it was still kind of weird to hear.

In one of those kind of funny moments, I thought absolutely nothing of JR and Foley doing commentary for the WWE tag title match but questioned why they did the US title (and made this point in feedback I sent to WO... er, F4W.com). It wasn't until I read other feedback that I realized Foley and JR shouldn't have been calling the tag title match either. Oh well, it's better that they did. Can't have Adamle call 3 (or even 2) live matches from his announcing thing.