TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

The "Night of Champions" PPV Thread

This is what I want to see/sort of expect to see happen based on the results of Night of Champions:

- JBL challenges CM Punk for the money in the bank title shot tomorrow night and wins. Off-camera, JBL conspires with Edge and Vickie Guerrero to on the next Smackdown put HHH in a position where he becomes easy pickings for JBL to steal the title. JBL cashes in MITB, returns the title to RAW and lives up to his promo during the PPV. Edge becomes once again the sole world champion on Smackdown. After the title is "stolen" from HHH the plot between JBL and Edge is revealed, putting some instant heat behind HHH v. Edge and giving a shot in the arm to the floundering JBL.

The downside is that JBL sucks in the ring right now, and he was never really all that good when he was the champion on Smackdown with the exception of the odd match here and there, and JBL/Cena and JBL/Batista have already been done many times, with the JBL/Batista matches being particularly bad.

But the upside is that he's a good promo and has the credibility level to pull the angle off. He'll get good heat from it, and they can just take the title off him at the next PPV, or SummerSlam at the latest.

The other upside is that CM Punk has become the worst inside joke in the company and they should get the MITB off him post haste, before they devalue the thing any more than they already have. It's bad enough that he's lost almost every match he's been in since Wrestlemania, but he looks like the ultimate chump for not cashing it in at the PPV when a) he had a chance to be the guy who brings a world title to RAW after both Cena and Batista had failed, b) he had teased using it earlier in the show in a promo with Cena and Batista (as he seemingly does every other show), and c) HHH had been selling a serious knee injury for the last 15 minutes of that match, continued to sell it post-match, and would have conceivable been easy pickings.

Thats ridiculous to bury a guy who already has lost alot of credibility with all of the losses (intentional, mind you) to balance the idea that eventually, he will get that big win with cashing in the MITB in return. I don't think there is a question when he cashes in the shot, he will win it, just because of all of the jobbing out he's been doing. Your reasons why he looks like a "chump" is pretty ridiculous too, since it wouldnt really put him over as anything but a chickenshit heel if he would actually get the shot immediately after a babyface is spent after a match (ie Edge's title wins) and I think the idea is to keep him as a face when he wins whichever belt. Plus doing the MITB deal this year the same way as Edge did it twice already in three years is just completely lazy booking. Teasing using the shot doesn't make him a chump at all, just strictly keeps the title shot as unpredicable whenever it happens. I think when Punk teases the shot, its the bookers telling me, "nope not going to happen tonight" basically.

And then to boot, you want the title shot, and win, to JBL? The guy is still being bothered by the original injury that took him out (back injury) so he's a less than dependable heel to carry a major belt right now, and he's far from a huge heat magnet at this stage in his career. Give him the IC title if need-be, he can get over just fine with that, but a world title? No freakin way. As you already said, feuds with Cena/JBL and JBL/Batista have both already been played to death and having them headline either of those programs on any future ppv is counterproductive and downright stupid. And rest assured that whoever ends up with the title whenever Raw gets either one, Batista and Cena are the two top guys who will be challenging for it (or possibly against each other if one wins the belt by chance) so they are going to need someone strong to feed into solid programs with them, which honestly I could see Punk doing, but more than likely as a heel soon after he would win the belt.

I want to respond to your comments on Punk and MITB first, because I think you're just way off base

First of all, CM Punk has to be turning heel soon, it just doesn't make any sense for him not to be, especially if you look at the RAW roster which has four "A" level babyfaces in Cena, Batista, Michaels and Mysterio, plus Kane who's always going to be popular and get a good push, and they just put the IC title on Kofi Kingston. The heel side has Jericho, JBL, Randy Orton whenever he gets back, they'll probably put Cade at the IC level v. Kofi now, and there's not much else. There's a huge opening there for someone to turn and be put in a prominent heel role, and Punk would appear to be the most likely candidate.

Second, You don't build up a guy to win a world title by jobbing him out left and right ahead of time. Destroying his credibility so that they can eventually balance it out by giving him the world title? Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Third, I don't think they really have much of a plan for Punk to cash in on MITB, and I certainly don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he will a) cash in and win, and b) if he does, that he'll be a babyface when it happens.

Remember, this MITB was scheduled to be Jeff Hardy all along until that suspension hit. They'd been planning on him winning MITB months ahead of time, dating at least to the number one contender match against HHH and program with Orton, which was the start of the slow burn/tease of him getting the title. When he got suspended they had to take both the IC Title and MITB off of him, and CM Punk just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Personally I think they should have given the MITB to Jericho and the IC to someone else, doesn't really matter who. Jericho at least already has the built in credibility level to carry MITB and make it meaningful. I understand the notion of wanting to elevate someone with the briefcase, but if you look at the history of the concept it was successful the first two years when given to guys who had been on the precipice of the main event for years and the fans were willing to buy them at that level, they just needed a final shove in the right direction. Kennedy's win is basically forgotten due to the way circumstances unfolded, not entirely his fault, but clearly beyond him getting hurt the company came to their senses when it came to pushing him to that level. Punk may be in the same boat, as a guy who's been given a "guaranteed world title" position too soon for everyone involved.

The other thing is, when you put a midcard babyface on a losing streak like Punk has been on it's generally a prelude to a heel turn. I can't imagine why you think, on a show with John Cena and Batista, the franchise guys, they're going to do a complete 180 on Punk and give him the title as a babyface ahead of them. It seems obvious that Cena v. Batista is the money RAW title match for Wrestlemania next year, and one of them in going to have the belt on RAW sooner than later. CM Punk turning heel and cashing in on MITB as a transitional champion to break up the monotony of Cena/Batista, that I can maybe see.

As far as putting the belt on JBL goes, is it a perfect scenario? No. But based on what went down on the PPV I think that angle is a solid follow up. They had a chance to move either of the world titles to RAW, or to do a swerve with MITB after one of the matches and didn't do it. So now how do they book one of the titles back onto RAW? What is a better way to do it given where things stand right now? And I don't want to see a cop-out Cena-HHH rematch or anything like that that just ignores the draft. They're going to eventually do whatever with the rosters, that's understood, but when they're making a such a big deal of the draft resulting in SD having both world titles, they need to honor to the illusion for now.

I realize star ratings are subjective, but for the life of me I can't figure out how some reviews (ex. The Torch coverage) can have the ECW title match a 1/4* or even on par with the WWE tag title and Women's title match. The ECW Title match was terrible while the other two matches (though the Women's match seems to have mixed viewes) were both entertaining.

I would have liked Punk to win but I doubt he will. He's becoming a Mr. Kennedy of sorts. I'm willing to bet he'll lose that title shot somewhere. He might start a feud with Kane though after this.

Speaking of Kennedy and MITB, I like how Edge refers to himself as a "two time" MITB winner. I guess beating an injured man in 90 seconds that you baited into a match for a briefcase is a big accomplishment these days.

The flip side of that is winning the briefcase in a one on one match is no different than winning a championship in a one on one match, so I guess he really does have the rights to say he was a two time holder of a MITB briefcase.

how can anyone still look at that ECW title and attach the word "world" to it.

Even WWE doesn't try to do that.

Because I don't take Pro Wrestling that seriously to care how a title is named.

With all of this talk about CM Punk cashing in MITB, what if he interrupts Edge's wedding at the Bash, cashes in to "catch Edge off guard", then wins the belt and brings it to Raw. He gets a month reign, uses MITB for good, and there's one title on each brand.

Actually I believe the plan is for Undertaker to crash the ceremony. However Undertaker could demolish Edge and then Punk could come out and take his title - sorta like how Edge stole it from the Undertaker last year. There is also the rumor that there will be a Edge/Alicia (the wedding planner) sex tape unearthed - so it could be a helluva night for Edge - his wedding is crashed by The Undertaker, Somebody (probably HHH) shows Vickie Edge cheating on her (so Edge loses all power) and then Punk takes the title from him.

CM Punk isn't in the dog house that many still seem to believe. Even if the writers and roadies hated his guts (which they don't) he moves merchandise which means Vince will make sure he's pushed.

Actually I believe the plan is for Undertaker to crash the ceremony. However Undertaker could demolish Edge and then Punk could come out and take his title - sorta like how Edge stole it from the Undertaker last year. There is also the rumor that there will be a Edge/Alicia (the wedding planner) sex tape unearthed - so it could be a helluva night for Edge - his wedding is crashed by The Undertaker, Somebody (probably HHH) shows Vickie Edge cheating on her (so Edge loses all power) and then Punk takes the title from him.

If that happens then I will sure as shit be watching SmackDown that week.

I'm going to chime in on the jobbing of Punk. I don't think that will really make a difference. The guy is still super over, and the fans really get behind the guy. I think right now, he is at a point where he can job for the next month on all three shows, cash in the MitB and still get a great pop. Wrestling fan, not the internet fans, have a short attention span, and tend to forget things easier then others. All they have to do is keep having the tease of when he will cash in the shot, win a match, and there you have it. Look at someone like Kane. The guy has been jobbed to high heaven and given stupid storylines, and he is still over.

I also think that he will stay a face until he wins the title (if in fact he wins the title at all).

Quick question:

What did people here think of DiBiase's finisher?

More show than go. It's pinning somebody after a side russian leg sweep, albeit they're a bit groggy from the million dollar dream sleeper. Also now that he is in a tag team, I like tandem finishers.

I was watching on the computer but had clicked off the screen right when he hit the finisher. Did he have him in the MDD and turn that into a version of a Russian Leg Sweep? I caught the very end of the move but missed the middle of it. If so, I like that move and always have. I just hope he doesn't keep them in the Dream for too long before going for the impact.

I was watching on the computer but had clicked off the screen right when he hit the finisher. Did he have him in the MDD and turn that into a version of a Russian Leg Sweep? I caught the very end of the move but missed the middle of it. If so, I like that move and always have. I just hope he doesn't keep them in the Dream for too long before going for the impact.

Precisely. Holly was in the MDD for 10-20 seconds or so, and then Ted Jr. turned it into a Russian Leg Sweep. It seems like the move's psychology is supposed to make them groggy, which sets them up for the Russian.

God, his music is worse than a combination of the melody of Rob Conway's, and the lyrics of Jesse & Festus's.

Precious Roy, read my last sentence in the post I made prior.........I said to turn Punk heel.

Precisely. Holly was in the MDD for 10-20 seconds or so, and then Ted Jr. turned it into a Russian Leg Sweep. It seems like the move's psychology is supposed to make them groggy, which sets them up for the Russian.

God, his music is worse than a combination of the melody of Rob Conway's, and the lyrics of Jesse & Festus's.

I've always dug the Cobra Clutch Leg Sweep. He should use a Stroke variant of it though, that'd be sick.

I always enjoy a cobra clutch bulldog, which would make more sense for the attacker to do, Maz. You know, since he would be less likely to fall on his own face? ;)

Eh... I always used to mark for Brain Christophers Full-Nelson Stroke, so switch in a Cobra Clutch and that's golden. In theory the attacker is landing at least on his own elbows. :D

Although the Cobra Bulldog is sweet as well.

Do people honestly believe Punk is ready to be a World or WWE Champion at this point? Jobbing or no jobbing. And with Cena, Batista, Kane etc. to contend with on Raw.

I like Punk don't get me wrong. But I just think it's too early. All this talk of him being 'super over' is kind of exagerrated. He's getting good reactions for where he is and at times great reactions, but a few weeks ago he was getting booed against Kane and it's going to take a few weeks to get his face out there on Raw since his reactions aren't exactly huge when he's showed up before. If he suddenly cashed MITB in and won one of the World Titles in the next few weeks, are people really going to buy him as champion over the Batistas, the Kanes, the Cenas, the Jerichos and JBLs even?

Yeah but consider that the other idea is to have friggin JBL somehow get the MITB and win a title. I mean that is just hideously terrible. JBL has nothing left to offer anyone at this point and there is no good that can come from him getting a title run of any kind. I don't know if Punk could get over as world champ or not, but at least an attempt would be trying to get someone new over.

While I wouldn't mind seeing Punk get a month or so run with the title, I agree that he may not be all the ready for it. The spot he is in was originally groomed for Jeff Hardy, who was GOD over until his stupid ass got suspended for failing another "wellness" test. Hardy is still over, but I have to wonder if he will ever again achieve what he had a few months ago. Again, I would like to see Punk given the world, just to see what he could do with the opportunity, but I still have to wonder if he's truly "ready".

What makes you guys think he's not ready? Is it just because he's jobbed out alot? I guess the fact he won MITB makes me think the company feels he's ready, otherwise why waste the push?

As others including myself have said, all it really would take is for Punk to win whatever title clean, and then get an ego from that point, and go heel.

PPV was okay, but the only matches I really enjoyed were the WWE Tag Team Championship and the Womens' match. I was surprised Matt retained the US title (I figure Chavo was winning it since he's on SD now plus it would give more power to La Familia since Edge is the champ). I was also shocked that Chavo's bodyguard and Paul Burchill came out for the match, but didn't interfere at all. I didn't care much for Edge / Batista, but I hope this leads to Batista's heel turn in the future. I was disappointed Kofi was the mystery man, I was actually hoping it would be Mysterio. Cena / Hunter II was dull, their match at WM 22 was so much better. And Cody Rhodes's heel turn was a fucking masterpiece!