TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/14 - 7/20

Something I'm surprised I haven't seen mentioned yet. With the trade of Joe Blanton, every player from the A's first round in 2002 (the "Moneyball" Class) is now out of the Oakland organization. Nick Swisher, Blanton and Mark Teahen were all traded. Jeremy Brown made it to the majors before retiring. Ben Fritz made it to AAA (he's now pitching for AA Erie). Stephen Obenchain and John McCurdy topped out at AA and are out of the organized minors.

The only player from that draft class with the big club is Brad Ziegler, who they did not actually sign. He was re-drafted next year by the Phils, dropped into Indy ball, and was picked up by the A's. One notable player who did not sign was Jon Papelbon. He was a 40th round pick but elected to return to college. Eight pitchers from the draft played in the majors this year. Swisher, Blanton, Teahen, Jared Burton (Reds), J.R. Towles (Astros), Ziegler, Papelbon and Ty Taubenheim.

The 2002 Oakland class ranked by Win Shares:

1. Nick Swisher (62)

2. Mark Teahen (54)

3. Jonathan Papelbon (41)

4. Joe Blanton (41)

5. Jared Burton (13)

6. J.R. Towles (5)

7. Brad Ziegler (3)

8. Ty Taubenheim (2)

Three players signed and became regulars in the majors. That's really not a bad record at all.

Guest Vitamin X
The 2002 Oakland class ranked by Win Shares:

1. Nick Swisher (62)

2. Mark Teahen (54)

3. Jonathan Papelbon (41)

4. Joe Blanton (41)

5. Jared Burton (13)

6. J.R. Towles (5)

7. Brad Ziegler (3)

8. Ty Taubenheim (2)

Three players signed and became regulars in the majors. That's really not a bad record at all.

That is pretty interesting. Who did the A's trade Papelbon's draft rights for, anyways?

Oh, and last night's Beavers-Sky Sox game was fun. I've never been to a Beavers game here in Portland, but having attended major league games at a few stadiums around the country, I can say without much of a doubt PGE Park had a pretty good major league aspect to it, attendance obviously not one of them (I think last night's attendance was announced at ~8,000 which still isn't too bad). I didn't learn anything new from watching the Rockies' prospects; Ian Stewart was BY FAR the best player on the field last night on either team and Jason Hirsh is an awful, awful pitcher. Both teams made quite a few defensive errors, but the Sky Sox made a dumb mistake that finished them (They tried a hit and run with 1 out, 2 men on at the top of the 9th, down by 1, and it resulted in a quick double play to end the game).

That is pretty interesting. Who did the A's trade Papelbon's draft rights for, anyways?

He didn't sign, decided to go to college instead. Loser.

UGH what the hell is wrong with Houston Street?

He's not that good? Actually his peripherals aren't that far off from his career line but he's also had a groin injury this season and probably would have been better off putting him on the DL a month or so ago instead trying to pitch through it.

Here's a new injury: Daric Barton strained his neck over the All-Star break by diving into the shallow end of a pool. This guy has rapidly gone from can't miss prospect to potential bust in a big hurry. As good as the A's have been at developing pitchers their ability to develop hitters has left a lot to be desired in recent years.

Funnily enough, rumors are running rampant that the Brewers have acquired Huston Street from the A's for minor leaguer Darren Ford. I would guess Guillermo Mota will be sent to AAA.

Funnily enough, rumors are running rampant that the Brewers have acquired Huston Street from the A's for minor leaguer Darren Ford. I would guess Guillermo Mota will be sent to AAA.

Hard to believe the A's would let him go that easily. Ford's an interesting prospect though. 100% pure speed.

Something I'm surprised Marvin hasn't brought up yet. O's pitching prospect Adam Loewen sustained another arm injury. Surgery would cost Loewen 18 months, so instead he's taking a shot at becoming a position player. Loewen has only batted twice professionally and is a longshot. Still, can't help but root for him.

Sounds like the original rumor is not true...Ford is likely traded, but not for Street. May not even be to the A's. Tom Haudricort from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is following it.

Tigers got hosed on a call at home plate...and now they give up the walkoff to Scott...fuck.

Of course Nate Robertson shitting away a big lead earlier didn't help matters but still...

Guest The Elements of Style

The wheels are falling off the Cubs, and the Cardinals and Brewers aren't getting any worse. This thing isn't going to end well for me.

Also, sounds like the Brewers just got Ray Durham. Yeah, guess the Sabathia trade is gonna work out after all.

Oh God, the Cardinals NEVER LOSE what the fuck is this shit, fuck those steroid-addled assholes and their drunken enabling manager, this success is distracting the red-faced dopes from crying about their precious beer being sold to furrners

I can't handle this rollercoaster anymore

Final in New York, Mets win and tie the NL East with the Phils. Both teams open up a three game set on Tuesday.

And the Marlins (remember them?) are a half-game back. What a division.

Czech's getting as bas as Marvin. Geez, man.

Final in New York, Mets win and tie the NL East with the Phils. Both teams open up a three game set on Tuesday.

And the Marlins (remember them?) are a half-game back. What a division.

I feel bad for the Marlins come Tuesday. No matter what happens, they can not gain on first place.

Yeah, I know. I need some bas relief.

And I'm not as bad as Marvin! I go days without posting about the team I have to like! Cut me some slack, AK-47.

Yeah, I know. I need some bas relief.

And I'm not as bad as Marvin! I go days without posting about the team I have to like! Cut me some slack, AK-47.

It's just that frothing at the mouth about the other team and their fans. I don't even get that bad with the Yankees.

Oh, no, I'm much worse than Marvin in that regard. I don't think it's even possible to rip on the Cardinals, White Sox, Cubs, or Brewers without slamming their fans as weepy toothless mopes, mullet-wearing grunts, fratboy douchebags, or cheeseheads, respectively. Scan the message boards for these teams. I learn from the best.

Walk off grand slam for Aaron friggin' Miles. That was pretty great, as was Czech's rant up there.

I have teeth!

YEAEAEHEEEAEEH MATT KEMP

For a second there I didn't think Ozuna was going to make it home.

Billy Wagner will have his left shoulder examined tomorrow as he's complaining of "tightness"

oh shit.

The asking price for Brian Fuentes just went up

Pablo Ozuna landed with a team that wasn't the Mets? Man, I thought that guy had Met written all over him.

So it's Crisp, Cash and Ellisbury in the 9th against Senor Automatic. Might as well get the ESPYs on now.

This team just sucks a giant cocksicle on the road. ESPECIALLY the pen.

Edited by KingPK

Guest Smues

The ESPY's are tonight? Wow I had no idea. YES I'm doing good and not paying to ESPN! (Kornheiser on vacation from PTI makes it a lot easier)

Durham is a nice pick up for the Brewers. Not a huge difference maker, but hopefully Yost will actually play him often instead of Weeks, who is just having a terrible year offensively. At the very least, Weeks should not be leading off anymore.