TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/14 - 7/20

Wagner blows the save, Lidge blows the game and the AL wins. Was there ever really any doubt?

I think Morneau was actually out, but I think the ump made the right call.

Wagner blows the save, Lidge blows the game and the AL wins. Was there ever really any doubt?

I think Morneau was actually out, but I think the ump made the right call.

He got his foot in, but it was closer than it should have been.

Any hope I had of the Cubs winning the World Series if they got there was just dashed. I know it sounds ridiculous, but with the way they've played at home this year, winning this game was absolutely crucial. The NL East should not be invited back to next year's game.

The Chevy post game show?!? Are you fucking kidding me?!? They should just euthanize King George out by Monument Park and call it a night.

aaaaaaaaaaaand nevermind, the Albany Fox Station isn't even bothering with the post game, they went straight to the pre-taped "10 o'clock" News.

Who got MVP?

The Chevy post game show?!? Are you fucking kidding me?!? They should just euthanize King George out by Monument Park and call it a night.

aaaaaaaaaaaand nevermind, the Albany Fox Station isn't even bothering with the post game, they went straight to the pre-taped "10 o'clock" News.

Who got MVP?

Another commercial break. We'll find out who the MVP is when they come back from THIS one apparently. I guess the 5 minute one they just took wasn't long enough to figure out that JD Drew won it.

EDIT: Drew won.

Even though the third error was questionable, Dan Uggla's performance has to be the worst in All Star Game history right? Actually that barely even seems like a question to me, maybe we can debate whether it was the worst in any game in history. Even if you ignore his defense, the 3 Ks and the inning ending double play are bad enough on their own.

Yeah, this will probably be remembered as The Uggla Game for a while. I'm not sure that he deserved the third error, as that hop would probably have eaten up any second baseman in the league, but he had enough bobbles and stroke-inducing moments for other routine plays to make up for that umpiring transgression. Not only that, but he looked completely out of his depth at the plate.

As for the actual game itself, it was definitely great, but it's was a major buzzkill to see a crappy throw at home end it. Hart didn't get anything on that throw; it pulled McCann off the line and allowed Morneau, who runs like a crippled hippo trapped in a swimming pool full of cement, to reach home unscathed.

Not sure what else the NL can really do to win this damn thing, short of hiring a team of ninjas or having Lawrence Taylor set up the AL with hookers the night before the big game.

I felt bad for Uggla, and it was pretty brutal that Buck started telling a story about how it was his father's greatest wish to see him play at Yankee Stadium in the midst of his epic failing, but at a certain point I stopped feeling bad for the guy and started getting pissed off. It was "The Story of Uggla"

(I know that at least Czech will get that one)

Lidge hasn't shown many great moments in closing/winning since the NLCS '04 when Cards made him their bitch. I bet he still has nightmares about Albert and Co.

Lidge hasn't shown many great moments in closing/winning since the NLCS '04 when Cards made him their bitch. I bet he still has nightmares about Albert and Co.

It must be great to rely on the media and mass opinion rather than watch the games. Lidge has not blown a save this season, has a 1.13 ERA and has yet to allow a home run this season.

I think one thing people need to realize is that there is a great deal of luck involved in pitching. The key is whether a pitcher is getting trounced, or whether he's having balls fall through. Ask yourself, if a fielder were right there on a ground ball or a fly ball, would it be a remarkable hit? Likewise, a pitcher getting by on hard drives snared by fielders isn't having the best of days. Lidge gave up two hits and a walk, but they weren't peppering him all over the field. If he gave up hits to the gap, that's another thing. Similarly, Cook gave up four hits and three walks. A couple of those hits were seeing eye grounders though and one was a soft fly ball. Two of the walks were intentional. Only the double was really a hard hit by the opposition.

Glad I went to sleep instead of staying up to watch Dan Uggla self-implode.

FYI, there's a new episode of Costas Now on tonight that's all about baseball.

You knew the game was over when Lidge came in? Because Lidge sucks? Retard.

Every time I've seen him come up in pressure situations on a big stage he's sucked. He may be having a great year but that situation was custom-made for failure.

There is a lot of luck to pitching but when I've seen Lidge implode in the past it's been because his stuff was flat and getting a lot of the plate, and that's not bad luck, it's bad pitching.

You knew the game was over when Lidge came in? Because Lidge sucks? Retard.

Every time I've seen him come up in pressure situations on a big stage he's sucked. He may be having a great year but that situation was custom-made for failure.

There is a lot of luck to pitching but when I've seen Lidge implode in the past it's been because his stuff was flat and getting a lot of the plate, and that's not bad luck, it's bad pitching.

Honestly, can someone cite an example besides the Pujols home run? He had a bad season the next year overall. He has a 2.52 ERA in the postseason though, in 25 innings. Had he gotten Pujols out, he would have tied Dennis Eckersley's record for saving all four games in a series win. Lidge does not have this tendency to blow up. He gave up a huge home run in a single game and any fault since has been tied to that hit, true or not.

When talking about Lidge and the Pujols home run, people often seem to forget that he gave up that home run to ALBERT PUJOLS. Sometimes great major league hitters are better than great major league pitchers.

Honestly, can someone cite an example besides the Pujols home run?

How about Podsednik hitting the game winning HR off him in game 2 of the Series that same year or giving up the Series-losing run to Jermaine Dye in game 4, al? Though they're not really the same thing though since the games were tied, would you consider that equal?

How about Podsednik hitting the game winning HR off him in game 2 of the Series that same year or giving up the Series-losing run to Jermaine Dye in game 4, al? Though they're not really the same thing though since the games were tied, would you consider that equal?

You get into dicey territory because obviously no pitcher is perfect. I don't know how Podsednik took him deep. Game four Lidge got beat by two singles, and he came back for a scoreless ninth. Game three he was outstanding. None of them were games he obviously should have won.

Even though the third error was questionable, Dan Uggla's performance has to be the worst in All Star Game history right?

Someone at BTF pointed out that Joe DiMaggio went 0-4 in his first ASG, never getting the ball out of the infield. Moreover, his defensive follies played a part in all the runs the NL scored in the game aside from a home run.