TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Just refusing to job

Was it true that HBK didn't want to drop the tag titles in 1994, hence why they were forfeited? Just curious about that one. Every other title he held and didn't drop all had a back story except this title run.

Well, in that case I can see the logic in him not wanting to job. He and Diesel had just split as a team and obviously weren't going to tag again for a while, so just strip them of the belts. Having them team against whoever and then HBK walks again and leaves Nash to get beat only hurts Nash's heat going into the world title run they were going to do with him.

As far as Hart and HBK at SS97. Hart would have jobbed to anyone and their mom wherever, except HBK and probably HHH. Canada had nothing to do with it.

As far as Hart and HBK at SS97. Hart would have jobbed to anyone and their mom wherever, except HBK and probably HHH. Canada had nothing to do with it.

Canada had something to do with it, but the rest of your post, to me, is accurate and also supercedes where it was.

I know this is a continually-beaten, long-dead horse, but it's not like he didn't offer options or anything. It's not like he said "I'm keeping my title, and that's that."

If we believe that Shawn wasn't in on it, and only Vince, Hebner, and possibly Jim Ross knew of what was going to happen that night...

IF the scenario was reversed, if SS97 was in San Antonio and the next night Raw was in Montreal, if Shawn was the champ and the one leaving to go to WCW and was unwilling to job to Hart in Texas, what would Bret Hart had done if the bell had sounded during the sharpshooter and gave Bret the belt? Again, this is assuming Bret had NO IDEA that Vince was going to do something like that. If they had some planned finish that Vince was using to pull the wool over the eyes, what would Bret have done then?

Canada had something to do with it, but the rest of your post, to me, is accurate and also supercedes where it was.

I know this is a continually-beaten, long-dead horse, but it's not like he didn't offer options or anything. It's not like he said "I'm keeping my title, and that's that."

No. Hart would job to HBK, just not in Canada. So it was both factors. HBK in America? Sure. HBK in Canada? No. Anyone else? Probably.

If we believe that Shawn wasn't in on it, and only Vince, Hebner, and possibly Jim Ross knew of what was going to happen that night...

IF the scenario was reversed, if SS97 was in San Antonio and the next night Raw was in Montreal, if Shawn was the champ and the one leaving to go to WCW and was unwilling to job to Hart in Texas, what would Bret Hart had done if the bell had sounded during the sharpshooter and gave Bret the belt? Again, this is assuming Bret had NO IDEA that Vince was going to do something like that. If they had some planned finish that Vince was using to pull the wool over the eyes, what would Bret have done then?

If the situation were reversed, and it was Bret who would be the benefactor of Vince stealing the title from Shawn, I imagine Bret would take it. I'm not trying to make Bret out as a martyr or anything; I think you overlooked the angle that I was viewing it from: That it was more of a when-where-whom, rather than Bret being simply unprofessional altogether. I'll admit you've kind of made me stop and think, but as far as the case I made defending Bret two posts ago, the scenario you described is irrelevant.

Incidentally, I've always viewed the situation as "Neither side is right, but Bret was less wrong."

No. Hart would job to HBK, just not in Canada. So it was both factors. HBK in America? Sure. HBK in Canada? No. Anyone else? Probably.

He wouldnt have jobbed to HBK period, because of what HBK said to him 3 weeks prior. Hart would have lost in Canada. But thats what Hart has said. HBK has a WHOLE different story. I cant buy the whole "I WONT LOSE IN CANADA" thing. Sorry but my opinion

I remember Michael Modest was no longer booked in ROH b/c he didn't want to do a job.

I imagine it wasn't so much that Modest didn't want to job but that, politically, he couldn't, because of working for NOAH. That sort of thing has caused a lot of problems for ROH when it comes to finishes.

As for what Bret would have done if the Montreal situation was reversed, I think he would have been against doing it but that Vince would have been able to talk him into going along with it, because Vince is good at that sort of thing.

I think ROH has been cool if you can't job because of Japan or the NWA (AJ Styles), but I remember the reason they stopped using him was because of that. Could be wrong though.

Saturn was in a match with some jobber who refused to co-operate because he didn't want to lose in his hometown. The story was that Saturn had to stiff him a bit then lock in a legit submission to get him to give it up. Parry Saturn is not the guy you want to get into a shoot match with.

Saturn is badass. Didn't he get shot in the neck breaking up a rape or something?

Where is Perry nowadays ?

I think that he is working at a car dealership, but don't quote me on that one.

Saturn is badass. Didn't he get shot in the neck breaking up a rape or something?

Where is Perry nowadays ?

I think that he is working at a car dealership, but don't quote me on that one.

Buy this car or I'll hit you with my mop.

your welcome

I think ROH has been cool if you can't job because of Japan or the NWA (AJ Styles), but I remember the reason they stopped using him was because of that. Could be wrong though.

No...odds are, you're right Bob. I don't want to bury Modest as I've gotten to work with him before and he was really great to work with, but the assumption that he pist off one of the promoters is probably right. I hope it's not but it might be.

This is funny from the same report

"A fan behind the commnetary table had a sign that was outdated; he wanted Ahmed Johnson to leave wrestling, I think, 'cause the sign said "RESIGN AHMED JOHNSON." I know, I know. Kane sat there with headphones on, even though he didn't say anything. You know a match is sad when the best worker in the ring is Ron Simmons."

I know I'm a few weeks late with this response...but are you fucking kidding me?

Saturn was in a match with some jobber who refused to co-operate because he didn't want to lose in his hometown. The story was that Saturn had to stiff him a bit then lock in a legit submission to get him to give it up. Parry Saturn is not the guy you want to get into a shoot match with.

That would be Mike Bell in THIS match: http://www.wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/sa...bell_match.html

From a 2002 interview:

"Perry believes that reports of that match were overdone, and says it was a "freak accident", where Bell dumped him on his head twice during the match. Perry claimed he was "out on (his) feet", and swinging at Bell instinctively. He then threw Bell out of the ring so he could gain his composure. Bell wasn't prepared for that bump, because Saturn as swinging at him, and that was the bump that Perry got the most heat for. Saturn claimed that he was injured after that match, and had to go home with a stiff neck. He doesn't know what went wrong, and says Bell has been around for a while and is "an accomplished hand". He thinks he went into self defense mode. He claims that only happened to him one other time, when he was in ECW and teaming with John Kronus. He didn't remember the guy's name, but the match was in Salisbury Maryland, and a worker was very uncooperative with the Eliminators, trying to "bully" them."

That would be Mike Bell in THIS match: http://www.wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/sa...bell_match.html

Different match. I forget the guys name, but as evilhomer said, he wanted to get in offense during the match but and Saturn had other ideas.

There are two different Saturn v. jobber matches that had an incident.

One is Saturn v. Bell, the other is Saturn v. idiot jobber.

Not the same thing.

Shawn was definitely in on it. So were Patterson, Brisco, and possibly Cornette. Hunter was in on it too, he's actually later started claiming that he was the first one who suggested they should just fuck Bret over if he wouldn't cooperate with their every demand.

I've seen the Bell match numerous times, and I always got the impression that Saturn cut loose on the guy because he botched a couple of spots.

That kind of thing used to happen all the time in squash matches. It was a common, regular occurance for the stars to legitimately beat the living shit out of the nobodies. Check out any Kevin Sullivan squash match ever for an excellent example. But since the tradition of using no-name jobbers on television has mostly been abandoned, the old tradition of stretching the rookies has also mostly gone by the wayside. Mostly. Doesn't apply to any match featuring Bradshaw versus a skinny young kid.