TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Discussion: Possible DC Universe Movies

I read a decent idea for Superman's son if they do end up doing a sequel to Returns. Clearly the kid has to go, so have the villain of the film somehow trap him in the Phantom Zone (which was already established in this movie series continuity), so Superman thinks he's dead and there you can get your 'darkness' that they want. And then over the years the kid only ages into a teenager and gets freed from the zone in the 31st century. So there you've got a 'Superboy' type figure for a Legion movie.

Come to think of it, I actually liked Bane in the animated series better than the one from the comics, as I liked how he went after Batman when he was healthy, instead of waiting for him to be tired mentally and physically.

Totally agree!

Yeah, it made Bane look much more like a badass that he wasn't afraid of fighting Batman in a fair fight. As for Superman's son, that might have been the point that I realized that Superman Returns couldn't have a sequel, other than the fact that it didn't impress people either. When they revealed that his son had super powers, it just seemed so cheesy and unwanted, that I don't think people wanted to see them follow that up. I need to get a box set of the Superman animated series, since I thought it had the best tone for Superman. It was serious, but it wasn't as dark and gritty as Batman.

Richard Donner co-wrote this comic story, which he said was his idea for Superman 3... it handled Superman as a father much much better and would have made a MUCH better movie than Superman Returns. Basically, a kid in a ship crashes in Metropolis, speaking Kryptonian and everything. Clark adopts him, and there are, in like one issue, some really cool scenes where you can see how jazzed Superman is to teach him about how to use his powers and everything.

at one point the gov't hides him and Superman blows his stack and tears into a military base, his eyes go red and he goes nose to nose with a general basically threatening to burn his face off, and it was the one time I believed Superman might actually do it. it turns out the kid is the son of Zod and Ursa, shot out of the Phantom Zone as a tether. Zod, Ursa, and Non show up and eventually all of the phantom zone criminals do, taking over earth. naturally the good guys regroup with luthor's help. It was pretty frikken awesome and handled Superman as a father way WAY WAY better, and seriously touching

Richard Donner co-wrote this comic story, which he said was his idea for Superman 3... it handled Superman as a father much much better and would have made a MUCH better movie than Superman Returns. Basically, a kid in a ship crashes in Metropolis, speaking Kryptonian and everything. Clark adopts him, and there are, in like one issue, some really cool scenes where you can see how jazzed Superman is to teach him about how to use his powers and everything.

at one point the gov't hides him and Superman blows his stack and tears into a military base, his eyes go red and he goes nose to nose with a general basically threatening to burn his face off, and it was the one time I believed Superman might actually do it. it turns out the kid is the son of Zod and Ursa, shot out of the Phantom Zone as a tether. Zod, Ursa, and Non show up and eventually all of the phantom zone criminals do, taking over earth. naturally the good guys regroup with luthor's help. It was pretty frikken awesome and handled Superman as a father way WAY WAY better, and seriously touching

Yeah that was Donner's run on Action Comics last year with Geoff Johns and it was looking phenomenal. There was a really really good reimagining of Zod and his crew and it gave them some really great backstory. Unfortunatly the whole thing degnerated into a colossal mess because DC put one of the worthless Kubert brothers on art (how those guys get work on what are supposed to be regular series I'll never understand) and it got delayed and delayed by months at a time that the whole storyline never got the conclusion it deserved.

But it's worth reading now that you could get all the issues together and not have to deal with the delays and stuff.

And Geoff Johns is doing killer work now on Action Comics. If you want to see how Superman can be handled well, check that out. Issue 866 (up to 868 now) is a great jumping on point since it's the start of a new storyline with Braniac.

Two interesting stories:

Warner Bros. Pictures are keen on landing Oscar nominee Ryan Gosling to portray the titular hero Hal Jordan in their upcoming film version of the superhero comic "Green Lantern" reports Latino Review.

The likes of Seth Green, Justin Long and David Boreanaz had previously been rumored for the part, but a reliable studio source of theirs denies such claims and say Gosling is the main actor being sought.

In the comics, Hal Jordan is a test pilot who was given a power ring by a dying alien, and became a member of the Green Lantern Corps - an interstellar organization of police overseen by the Guardians of the Universe.

Greg Berlanti is assigned to direct the film which is due out in 2010.

Sources tell Hollywood Elsewhere that "No Country for Old Men" and "W." star Josh Brolin has signed on for the title role in Warner Bros. Pictures' "Jonah Hex".

HE editor Jeff Wells is confident in the scoop and claims that "the deal is sealed". Yet the studio will not confirm the rumor, and Brolin's rep claims the actor is "not attached."

Jonah Hex is a western comic book anti-hero, a middle-aged bounty hunter and gunslinger with a heavily scarred face whose quest in the film is tracking down a voodoo practitioner. Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor ("Crank," "Pathology") are helming the project.

Reading the two headlines at once, I thought that Josh Brolin would be an awesome Hal Jordan. And if you're like me and wondering who Greg Berlanti is, he's directed one movie (2000's The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy aka Dean Cain as a gay softball player) but at least he's experienced with Superman.

I'm hoping that a Green Lantern movie will do well.

Maybe then they would get to do more GOOD DC mainstream heroes movies that are good.

Insted of just having Superman, Batman...and that's about it for DC mainstream heroes with good movies...while you also have Steel hiding on it's body like a pimple on the ass.

Jonah Hex sounds like it could be interesting...and if it works, maybe it'd lead to the Blackhawk movie idea I put in the early parts of this thread.

I've recently been re-reading everything with the word "Crisis" in the title. ;) I'd love to see some DCU Animated adaptaions of Identity Crisis or Crisis on Infinite Earths..

EDIT: I agree about Brolin being perfect for Hal Jordan. 'Course, he's perfect for Jonah Hex, too. As far as GL goes, I'm glad that that rumor about the Jack Black comedy based movie never panned out. Thank god.

I've recently been re-reading everything with the word "Crisis" in the title. ;) I'd love to see some DCU Animated adaptaions of Identity Crisis or Crisis on Infinite Earths..

EDIT: I agree about Brolin being perfect for Hal Jordan. 'Course, he's perfect for Jonah Hex, too. As far as GL goes, I'm glad that that rumor about the Jack Black comedy based movie never panned out. Thank god.

Question is...let's say that they decide to do a DC Animated adaptation of CoIE.

How much of the book do you cut and such?

Some things that could be cut are things that tie in to other books...that weren't included with the Trade Paperback I bought (like references to an issue of Omega Men...or that substory with Guy Gardner that was apparently revealed in the Green Lantern comics.). I could see Earth 3's death being trimmed down a bit as well, to just before Alex Luthor launches his son between dimensions.

EDIT: Also, for "double characters"...like the two Supermen, for example, do you use the same voice actor...or two different ones?