TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

Austin Powers 4 Planned

From CinemaBlend:

In June, when The Love Guru was about to hit theaters and annoy the 12 or so people who actually saw it, I wrote a rant about Mike Myers parlaying the success of Austin Powers to make an unoriginal movie. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about The Love Guru that's so repulsive,” I wrote. “Is it the sight of Myers, 11 years after Austin Powers, giving us essentially the same humor and expecting us to find it fresh?”

Apparently Myers’ answer to that is “Hell yeah, and you’re getting even more where that came from!” Deadline Hollywood Daily is reporting that Myers and New Line are working on an Austin Powers 4. ”There's no deal in place yet but New Line is panting after No. 4,” writes Nikki Finke, provoking both a repulsive mental image and pity for a studio that thinks this is a good idea.

The success of the Austin Powers movies helped turn New Line into a huge Hollywood player, before Lord of the Rings made them practically a major studio for a few years. It makes sense that the studio, having been downsized and absorbed by Warner Bros., might want to reclaim some of that old glory. But seriously, there is none of that old glory left. Even if this fourth movie promises to focus on Dr. Evil, as Finke suggests, the diminishing returns of the second and third Austin Powers movies indicate that, even with a six-year break, Myers doesn’t have anything new to add.

It seemed that after The Love Guru tanked we might be spared an Austin Powers 4, given how thoroughly the public rejected Myers this time around. If he’s going to retain the few fans he has left, he’s going to have to come up with something new, something that feels as fresh as he did in the early 90s. Beating the dead horse of the Austin Powers franchise is absolutely not the way to do it.

fuck that...

now Wayne's World 3? Sure I could go for that.

Exactly.

There's no way they will do an Austin Powers 4 after what essentially was an Austin Powers extension of things with the Love Guru totally tanked. Suffice to say, that and XFiles are the two biggest bombs of the summer, well those and Meet Dave too.

I don't really buy that the Austin Powers franchise "made" New Line Cinema either. Sure it definately got them to another level, and LOTR took that about ten steps farther, but in reality, I've always heard the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise is what really got New Line off the ground and into the bigtime.

fuck that...

Only if Ed O'Neil is back as Glenn.

No Glenn, no go.

Wayne's World 3 would be dreadful, did you see them reunite at the VMAs?

This is Myers doing what every fading star is doing- trying to get public goodwill on their side by resurrecting an outdated franchise

Truth be told I don't think the Powers sequels really brought anything to the table. It should have just been a one movie type deal since the sequels take Austin back to the past where he's more comfortable and isn't as inept. We care about Austin Powers when he's a hopelessly out of touch relic from a bygone era. But Austin going back to the 60s? Not so much.

Wayne's World 3 would be dreadful, did you see them reunite at the VMAs?

This is Myers doing what every fading star is doing- trying to get public goodwill on their side by resurrecting an outdated franchise

Hey I thought that Waynes World sketch at the Movie Awards was great, cmon now.

Here's more nonsense about this from that same site that was referenced.

UPDATED: I'm told that Mike Myers has started writing Austin Powers 4 which will be an homage to his late father. "It's very personal with a father and son theme loosely based on his own life," an insider tells me. As Myers has previously said, this fourth installment of the super spy spoof movie series will focus on Austin's arch-villain Dr. Evil, who was based on Blofeld of the Bond films. But what hasn't been known is that the AP4 plot is really about Dr. Evil and his son (introduced already as Scott Evil, played by Seth Green).

(NEW) Myers said this week he conceived the film’s plot during a “spiritual quest” of self-discovery to help him cope with his dad’s death in 1991 following a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease. And it was during this time in his life that he said he was inspired to create the character of The Love Guru. “In many ways, The Love Guru is honouring him by dealing with his loss, because making silly movies is how I deal with things.”

Myers is penning his idea with Baby Mama's Mike McCullers, who collaborated with Myers on Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me and Austin Powers 3: Goldmember. There's no deal in place yet but New Line is panting after No. 4 despite Myer's recent box office bomb, The Love Guru, for Paramount. But does Myers realize he may no longer be a draw? (Probably not. Before the pic opened, he reportedly made diva demands from Conan O'Brien staffers last month for stupid stuff like Twizzlers and raspberry seltzer. Ugh.) Interestingly, I'm told that Myers had a character in the original Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery script called The Love Guru but decided not to shoot it and then wrote it out of the series. Nevertheless, when Paramount decided to make The Love Guru, it demanded that New Line sign a pledge that it had no claims to the character.

The Conan thing is true by the way.

EW wrote a whole article on how he's fucking insane, and it seems he's never gotten over his father's death as everything always comes back to that

That plot sounds hideous. What exactly is Austin Powers going to do in his own movie if it is all about Dr. Evil and Scott Evil? Is Austin going to be a bit player in his own film?

I liked the first one because it was a decent parody/satire of spy movies and most of the humour came from the situations and characters.

The other 2 were just terrible self-parodies that had jokes for the sake of jokes rather than any intelligent writing.

But that's probably a pretty common criticism of that series.

I'd almost be down for a Wayne's World 3 since I loved the other 2 so much, but at this point I have such bad feelings about Myers that I don't think I could stomach it. Plus the way he's been lately I think it would probably end up being a bunch of re-used jokes, over the top charichatures and bad toilet humour.

It is kinda sad if he's writing this movie to deal with the death of his father 17 years ago, if I'm reading that right.

That would be perfectly fine since Dr. Evil is the funniest character in the series anyway.

You also have to bear in mind the fact that every Austin Powers movie thus far has been far superior to Wayne's World when stating that WW3 would be easier to look forward to.

I disagree...the first Wayne's World movie had me in stitches the whole time, meanwhile, Austin Powers did not have me in stitches the whole time. Honestly, the only bits I found funny in the Austin Powers movies was Dr. Evil's interactions with his son and henchmen/woman.

Mike Myers is a one trick pony anyway...many of the gags from the Wayne's World movies were redone in the AP series.

Oh God- what have we done to deserve this?

And I wouldn't want to see Wayne's World 3 anymore than I would Austin Powers 4. We all know about how shitty The Love Guru was but has anybody besides me seen Dana Carvey's recent HBO special? I saw about fifteen minutes of it the other day and it was just awful. Carvey hasn't done anything remotely funny since Wayne's World 2. The Dana Carvey Show was sort of funny but Carvey was easily the worst part about it. Steve Carrell, Stephen Colbert, and Robert Smigel clearly carried that show.

Wayne's World 3 could possibly ruin my good memories from the first two while Austin Powers 4 would just be another step down in an increasingly mediocre series.

The two Wayne's World movies are way superior as a whole than the Austin Powers series as a whole. I think that the first Austin Powers may be the best movie out of the bunch though. I just don't want to see another one of either because like Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase before them, I think Mike Myers and Dana Carvey may have lost the ability (and the right with the moviegoing public) to carry a big comedy movie.

And by the way, am I the only one who liked Wayne's World 2 more than the first one? Walken! The Naked Indian! The scene where they inadvertantly dress up like The Village People and somehow end up on stage at a gay club! That movie's gold.

Here's the way I look at it. The two Wayne's World movies are way superior as a whole than the Austin Powers series as a whole. I'll admit that the first Austin Powers may be the best movie out of the bunch though. Another Wayne's World movie would likely soil my fond memories of the first two while another Austin Powers would be another step down in an increasingly mediocre series.

And by the way, am I the only one who liked Wayne's World 2 more than the first one? Walken! The Naked Indian! The scene where they inadvertantly dress up like The Village People and somehow end up on stage at a gay club! That movie's gold.

I love the second one. There are some classic moments in that movie. I know some people hate it a lot but I like it as much as the first one, maybe more.

My favorite part of the movie is Del James, the English roadie guy. His story about being in Sri Lanka needing to find brown M&Ms for Ozzy is one of my favorite scenes from any comedy movie.

And yeah, the Village People part was awesome.

I disagree...the first Wayne's World movie had me in stitches the whole time, meanwhile, Austin Powers did not have me in stitches the whole time. Honestly, the only bits I found funny in the Austin Powers movies was Dr. Evil's interactions with his son and henchmen/woman.

Mike Myers is a one trick pony anyway...many of the gags from the Wayne's World movies were redone in the AP series.

Waynes World 1 and Austin Powers 1 are two of the funniest movies of all time, I remember nearly choking when I saw Austin Powers because I was laughing so hard. I like Waynes World more though.

Waynes World 2 sucks and I can never get into it. I don't care for the second Austin Powers (he drinks Fat Bastard's poo, come on!) but Austin Powers in Goldemember is brilliant.

Carvey hasn't done anything remotely funny since Wayne's World 2.

Carvey's 1996 comedy special was awesome. Comedy Central played it all the time back in the day and I became obsessed with it, quoting it endlessly and performing the routines for my friends.

Wayne's World 2 was a total rushjob, and Carvey and Myers really didn't have their hearts in it. Plus, they couldn't get Penelope Speerhis back because of her hatred for Myers.

I enjoy Wayne's World and Austin Powers for what they are, but two of the greatest comedies of all time? They're at best **1/2 (for Wayne) and *** (for Austin 1), so let's not get this stuff confused with the best of the Marx Bros. or anything.

That said, the English roadie was pretty funny in Wayne's World 2. I like how he sleeps upside down "because Keith Richards does it, and Keith cannot be killed by any normal means."

I think Wayne's World 2 is slightly better than the first one.

Walken

Farley in an extended role (including the Officer and a Gentleman parody)

Garth getting laid

cameos by Meadows, Odenkirk and Smigel

The Village people scene

The British roadie

Plus, they couldn't get Penelope Speerhis back because of her hatred for Myers.

I know Myers is insane but Spade and Farley didn't get along with her either. I've only seen interviews with her but it looks like she could be tough to work with

I liked both Wayne's World movies, and I liked Austin Powers 1 and 3 (didn't care for 2, since it tried so hard to be funny, but it has its moments), but even I don't want to see an Austin Powers 4, since there isn't really any good direction to go in, from the way the 3rd movie ended. Its almost like the series was meant to end after 3 really. I mean, Dr. Evil turns good at the end, so who would want to see him as a good guy now?

Oh, shut up Bob.

Huh?

Ha! Shit, I forgot to yell at you with proper punctuation and capitalization! Damn you, Bob!

I don't get why you told me to shut up to begin with.

Wayne's World is one of my all time favourite movies, and the fact that they made another one just seems so wrong, it's another reason I can never get into the sequel.

People seem to be split on the Waynes World / Austin Powers movies. I love the first Wayne's World and the first Austin Powers is an all time classic, but Wayne's World 2 is pretty terrible. I've met plenty of people over the years who swear up and down that Austin Powers 3 is hilarious, but I found it just to be another tired retread. I'm neutral on Austin Powers 2, it is mostly just a rehash of Part 1, but it has enough going for it in it's own right that I still enjoy it. Based on wrestling ratings it would go

Austin Powers: ****1/2

Wayne's World: ****

Austin Powers 2: ***

Wayne's World 2: *

Austin Powers 3: 1/2*

Same here.

Goldmember is one of my favourite characters, and Michael Caine!

We'll just pretend that Beyonce didn't happen, just like I do with Heather Graham

fuck that...

Exactly.

There's no way they will do an Austin Powers 4 after what essentially was an Austin Powers extension of things with the Love Guru totally tanked. Suffice to say, that and XFiles are the two biggest bombs of the summer, well those and Meet Dave too.

I don't really buy that the Austin Powers franchise "made" New Line Cinema either. Sure it definately got them to another level, and LOTR took that about ten steps farther, but in reality, I've always heard the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise is what really got New Line off the ground and into the bigtime.

You are correct. That's why it's called the House that Freddy Built.

I love WW and WW2. AUSTIN POWERS was a great movie, but as people have mentioned, as they go on, it's the same tired joke. A Part 4 would probably do some business as the name Austin Powers would draw.