TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

Punisher: War Zone

It's obviously not going to be the Dark Knight for crying out loud..

I don't have a problem with the trailers...though the shooting while spinning upside down is a little too Uwe Boll for my liking.

Not to mention thoroughly un-Punisher.

Which is kind of my point.

Not only does this not look like a great film, it's also not a faithful rendition of the comic. The reason that Dark Knight gets a lot of praise, other than it being a great film, is because it was a faithful rendition.

I liked the Thomas Jane Punisher, and was hoping he'd stick around for the sequel. I read in an interview he got sick of waiting for things to get moving on it.

I saw the movie last night and HO-LY SHIT is it fucking bloody violent! Overall, it was pretty decent, Jigsaw and

his brother

were pretty great characters throughout the film. I still wish Thomas Jane would have played the Punisher in the movie but seeing how the tone was set of the entire film, Thomas Jane may have not been able to play the Punisher like Stevenson did.

Again..Violent fucking movie.

There's really only one thing I didn't like and that was

Marvel Knights doesn't follow the last movie at all,

and I was pretty let down by that.

Quick spoiler:

Don't stick around till after the credits, nothing happens.

I've watched a couple showings of the 2004 Punisher on FX this week. Fuck the haters, this is a fantastic comic movie. It's perfectly violent, as a Punisher film should be. It even has a good story. There is a slow build at first. Frank isn't just running around blindly wrecking people's shit until close to the end of the film. Sure, there's the scenes with Hank Heck, and the Russian, but it all builds nicely, and doesn't come to a head until he storms Howard Saint's complex. It's then that we see the Punisher shown for what he is meant to be, a remorseless, unrelenting killing machine. I've seen the film several times, but I still get chills watching the final scene of Frank's friends coming home to find the money he left for them, and Thomas Jane's monologue at the end of the film. Thomas Jane personifies The Punisher to me. I'll probably still see the new one, but it won't be the same without Jane. From what I've read on Wikipedia (reliable, eh?), Jane has said if he's offered the role of The Punisher, if they decide to make a third film, he will take it.

I thought Roger Ebert's review was sort of funny, as he expected it to suck REAL BAD, but actually thought it was too well written and well acted to be just awful. From seeing the red band trailer for this, it looks like people's heads explode like 5 times in this movie. I'm thinking about seeing this, but I don't know really.

My problem with the 1989 Punisher and the 2004 Punisher is the same thing: Neither Lundgren or Jane seem anything like Frank Castle to me. Especially Dolph, who ran around the sewers naked and seemed wasted most of the film, and didn't even have the skull shirt at any point.

The 2004 Punisher was okay but I couldn't take Travolta seriously as a villain and there were just too many changes from the comic. The Punisher is a total NYC type comic, the violent side of town at that. In the movie...Tampa? Having been to the Tampa/St. Pete area it never really struck me as a crime ridden nightmare world. And I do like Thomas Jane in some stuff but he seems like a pretty boy dying his hair and trying to act tough.

The ideal Punisher would have been Stallone if they had done a Punisher movie in the late 70s or early 80s (before his egomania got out of hand), though Stevenson looks the best of the guys who actually have been Castle.

I hated 1989 Punisher and 2004 Punisher was a great movie. I felt 1989 Punisher was too lame and a lot of stuff I didn't like, including the Japanese Yakuza and the fact you don't see his family die. In 2004, it was a fun storyline and I got into it. I never read the comics, so that's probably why.

I don't even think people count the 89 Punisher when it comes to the talk about the movies.

2004 was better than I was expecting it to be. Tom Jane really looked the part.

I like Stevenson and West (even though he looks bad in the trailer), and will catch this movie when it hits the cheap show

Did anyone else notice that EVERY bad guy character had an accent, yet NONE of the actors who were playing them, could do them properly?

Fun movie, but the terrible dialogue and the fake accents were enough to annoy the shit out of me. People complain about Rob Zombie dialogue in the Friday 13th thread.... Zombie has nothing on this movie.

I thought this movie was horrible. I don't hate violent movies but this one was just violence for the sake of violence. The only character that was alright was the guy that played Frank Castle. Oh and the brother ok at first but got real annoying.

I can't believe Lion's Gate actually attempted to get this to PG-13. Thats just silly.

That was probably part of some whacky ploy to get more merchandising opportunities.

I liked this movie a lot. It was pretty violent and had a lot of good action. The story was fine and I liked that it was a reboot and not a sequel. It's a lot different than the 2004 one, but I like them both for different reasons.

I enjoyed this movie better than The Day the Earth Stood Still. I never thought that Punisher: War Zone would be the best movie I've seen in theaters this month, but so far, it is. It wasn't boring, and its pretty fun to watch.