TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Guys on the way out

Here's an interesting topic, over the years we've seen a lot of guys come and do within promotions. After watching the Bulldog heel turn from 1995 on Diesel and the preceeding interview explaining where Luger was "medical emergency, had to go home to Atlanta" (sound familiar eh?) it got me thinking. What were your favorite explainations/burials on guys leaving a company.

A few come to mind quickly for me:

Brock Lesnar and Goldberg. Both take stunners and practically look like chumps at Wrestlemania XX.

The Giant's last match on Nitro. I remember they were reading between the lines stating he was going to the WWF. They spray paint his back, pull down his trunks and I remember Hall making the smelly hand gesture.

Hogan. Ah, the 1993 King of the Ring. They made him look totally weak and I loved it. It was nice to see him buried for a change.

I got a quick question as well. Who actually left a company and joined another one without getting extremely buried?

Also, how exactly did Jericho leave WCW? Like did he get buried on the way out or did they just take him off TV beforehand?

I really don't remember what happened to Jericho, I wouldn't say he was buried in late 98 but he wasn't doing anything of note. I think he was in a tag team with Eddie, then I never saw Jericho again in the company. I know there were contract disputes backstage and they eventually just took him off TV. As for guys leaving a company in embarrassing fashion, I would have to go with Tazz in ECW. He jobbed every night for months, and even got pinned by 2 guys at once! A favorite burial of mine would be Muhammed Hassan at The GAB 2005.

I don't really recall Rick Rude getting buried when he jumped to WCW that last time. I remember them having Harvey Wippleman or someone come out to taking his spot in a DX interview the week after he appeared Nitro, with Shawn more or less implying that he wasn't needed. On LiveWire that weekend, the announcers kinda joked about the situation, saying "Damn, Rick Rude was everywhere last Monday"!

For explanations, there was the Mr. America thing from 03 after a dispute between Hogan and Vince. It ended that goofy angle, so I was happy.

HBK buried, shit and pissed on the grave of Sable on a Raw just prior to her filing her big Sexual Harrassment suit in 99. (Ok, it wasn't that extreme, but it always made me laugh)

This irked the hell out of me at the time, but ECW buried the hell out of Tazz after he signed to WWF. I never really understood that...they gave him this big send off when he lost the belt and then proceeded to make him look like a bitch for the next to months, so much so that what would've been a big money match against RVD was meaningless.

Then, of course, there was the Mike Awesome deal in 2000 where they had to bring Tazz back to put the belt back on him.

Austin after the 02 walk out.

Finally, and I never hear this brought up much, but there was actually a very subtle burial of Bret leading up to Survivor Series 97. Basically, they began running these vingettes about Owen, calling him the REAL Hitman of the Hart Foundation, highlighting the injuries he had given to HBK and Austin as proof.

Jericho last WCW TV appearance was either in late March or early April '99. I know he appeared on the Toronto Nitro, which was the day after Wrestlemania XV. Whether that was his last appearance I don't know. He got injured and he was never brought back to TV. He signed with WWF in June and his WCW contract expired in July. He worked house shows in June and July, his last being on July 21st in which he said if he lost his tag match with Eddie against Rey and Kidman, he would leave WCW. They had considered having him appear on the July 5th Georgia Dome Nitro to job to Ralphus, but they didn't want him getting over before leaving so they decided against it. I think you can see him in the background at the WCW Live table at one point during the Great American Bash '99, but I'm not sure about that.

I always enjoyed Camp Cornette beating down the Warrior on RAW and sending him back to Parts Unknown.

A favorite burial of mine would be Muhammed Hassan at The GAB 2005.

Agreed.

More of an explanation than a burial, but The Dudleys "breaking the neck" of Beulah was an awesome way to put more heat on them while furthering the image of Tommy Dreamer as the tortured martyr of ECW.

If I recall correctly, Beulah left to go back to school.

actually Luger didnt leave until after the bulldog turn, his last tv appearance being at summerslam. Plus the story goes that the WWF had no idea Luger was leaving until he showed up on the first Nitro,as his contract had expired and they were working on a new one when Bischoff intervened. Also Atlanta was Luger's announced home at the time.

More of an explanation than a burial, but The Dudleys "breaking the neck" of Beulah was an awesome way to put more heat on them while furthering the image of Tommy Dreamer as the tortured martyr of ECW.

If I recall correctly, Beulah left to go back to school.

I would actually call that an awesome send off if you are leaving the business. It doesn't "bury" Beulah, since what realistically is she supposed to do, and everyone comes out with more heat.

I'm surprised, Niedhart's jump to WCW and joining DX only to get low balled by Chyna and tagged on the way out hasn't been mentioned.

I remember Barry Windham getting actually destroyed by The Undertaker on RAW before he left the WWF, after getting something of a renewed push in the NWA invasion angle (remember that mess?).

Vader was buried somewhat on his way out of WWF, doing a big job to Edge on RAW.

Who actually left a company and joined another one without getting extremely buried?

No matter what happens, Dustin Rhodes always seems to leave a company on great terms when he's run out of things to do, but then again, he's been pure midcard since 1997. I also seem to remember Vince McMahon acknowledging on Raw in 1994 that Randy Savage departed without burying him. But then the Billionaire Ted stuff came a year later.

Lance Storm (2004? 2005?) just sort of gently faded into the night if I recall correctly.

Jericho last WCW TV appearance was either in late March or early April '99. I know he appeared on the Toronto Nitro, which was the day after Wrestlemania XV. Whether that was his last appearance I don't know. He got injured and he was never brought back to TV. He signed with WWF in June and his WCW contract expired in July. He worked house shows in June and July, his last being on July 21st in which he said if he lost his tag match with Eddie against Rey and Kidman, he would leave WCW. They had considered having him appear on the July 5th Georgia Dome Nitro to job to Ralphus, but they didn't want him getting over before leaving so they decided against it. I think you can see him in the background at the WCW Live table at one point during the Great American Bash '99, but I'm not sure about that.

Wait a sec. They actually thought Jericho would GET OVER BY JOBBING TO RALPHUS???????????????!!!!!!!!!!

Who actually left a company and joined another one without getting extremely buried?

No matter what happens, Dustin Rhodes always seems to leave a company on great terms when he's run out of things to do, but then again, he's been pure midcard since 1997. I also seem to remember Vince McMahon acknowledging on Raw in 1994 that Randy Savage departed without burying him. But then the Billionaire Ted stuff came a year later.

Lance Storm (2004? 2005?) just sort of gently faded into the night if I recall correctly.

Even though she didn't jump to another company, Trish's exit from the WWE couldn't have gone better for her, especially considering the exit Lita got shortly after that.

Wait a sec. They actually thought Jericho would GET OVER BY JOBBING TO RALPHUS???????????????!!!!!!!!!!

They figured it'd be a pretty funny situation which the crowd would get into and that's not something they would have wanted to give Jericho on his way out. Rhalpus would've gotten a pretty good reaction for that and Jericho would get some good shine on his way out, even if he did a job to a truck driver.

Jericho could have gotten over by jobbing to Ralphus. He's made his career on turning things they thought would bury him around and making himself get over despite of it. He would have found a way to make himself come out of that situation looking golden.

Remember Ron Garvin leaving Crockett Promotions not too long after his heel turn in 1988? Didn't they run an angle where Dusty Rhodes claimed that he found and beat the hell out of Garvin in a bar to explain Garvin suddenly leaving the NWA before they could book the blow off match between him and Dusty?

They figured it'd be a pretty funny situation which the crowd would get into and that's not something they would have wanted to give Jericho on his way out. Rhalpus would've gotten a pretty good reaction for that and Jericho would get some good shine on his way out, even if he did a job to a truck driver.

I got this kind of vibe with RVD in his last year in WWE. As in, they didn't want to put him against any good workers for potential good matches (CM Punk) in fear of him getting over after the whole weed thing, yet he played cat and mouse with management with his contract situation on his way out, that he had a very inconsistent last few months where it would look like he was buried one night, and another night he would win, making people think he would get pushed again.

I always enjoyed Camp Cornette beating down the Warrior on RAW and sending him back to Parts Unknown.

A favorite burial of mine would be Muhammed Hassan at The GAB 2005.

Agreed.

WWF didn't know that was gonna be his last shot. I was there live (RAW June taping in Green Bay, night after KOR) Vader jobbed to him in the Dark Co Main event in under 30 seconds.

Plus on TV they announced (Gorrilla as Prez) that Warrior was being suspended and his match vs Owen on RAW tonight would be his final bout.

At the live taping the beatdown was revenged a week or so later (They taped 4 weeks of RAW then) when warrior ran out during a Camp Cornette Promo. I believe the promo was either edited or cut totally.

I think i was watching wrestling on and off in 99 when Hunter buried Sable before her departure, but I honestly can't remember this event. What happened?

Even though I was 9 years old in 1999, I remember hearing that stuff about Sable filing a lawsuit against the WWF and she quit the company. I don't remember the WWF ever mentioning that stuff on the air though.

There was a deal where they were supposed to have an evening gown match between Sable and Debra for the Women's belt on Raw. Shawn, then the Commissioner, made a ruling that even though Debra lost, since they had already seen Sable naked, then Debra should be awarded the title. He basically kept putting her down about posing for Playboy, throwing a few shots at Nicole Bass as well (step off mister), and I think that was the last time she was on TV until 03. Don't really remember anything happening w/ Hunter though.

Jericho lost a few matches on the way out in WCW but he was off TV long enough during the Summer of 1999 that it meant nothing. Once he showed up on Raw, no one remembered or cared that he had been jobbing in WCW. I recall thinking once Jericho jobbed the TV belt to Konnan realizing that he was going to the WWF, and that was at like Starrcade 1998.

I think Jericho's last in-ring appearence in WCW was jobbing to Scott Steiner in the first round of the U.S. title tournament on the Spring Break Nitro in March '99. They did briefly show him at the WCW.com booth at Great American Bash '99.

Has Steve McMichael's last appearance with WCW been mentioned? That was a really odd way to go out. IIRC, he got coffee thrown in his face by Hollywood Hogan and then never showed up again.

I think Jericho's last in-ring appearence in WCW was jobbing to Scott Steiner in the first round of the U.S. title tournament on the Spring Break Nitro in March '99. They did briefly show him at the WCW.com booth at Great American Bash '99.

Has Steve McMichael's last appearance with WCW been mentioned? That was a really odd way to go out. IIRC, he got coffee thrown in his face by Hollywood Hogan and then never showed up again.

actually it was bleach or cleanin fluid of some kind, must have done some damage.

Oh that's right. I was confusing that with his promo during his forgettable feud with Davey Boy Smith where he said something to the effect of "Don't just sit there drinking coffee while a man's talking to you!"

There was a deal where they were supposed to have an evening gown match between Sable and Debra for the Women's belt on Raw. Shawn, then the Commissioner, made a ruling that even though Debra lost, since they had already seen Sable naked, then Debra should be awarded the title. He basically kept putting her down about posing for Playboy, throwing a few shots at Nicole Bass as well (step off mister), and I think that was the last time she was on TV until 03. Don't really remember anything happening w/ Hunter though.

Lawler and JR also made Blow job references when she was holding the microphone in ring during that segment

Lawler and JR also made Blow job references when she was holding the microphone in ring during that segment

You think she ever swallowed Marc Mero's cum?

Answer me Brody.

Cum. Shootin' all over Sable's tits like a Badd Blaster an' shit.

Also, at the 1993 Survivor Series, Mr. Perfect was such a "Perfect tag team" partner that he didn't show up for his match. No, he tagged out before the match began so that Macho Man had an excuse to be in the same building as Crush.

Perfectly ridiculous.

actually it was bleach or cleanin fluid of some kind, must have done some damage.

Yeah, bleach. I thought it was a random attack myself.