TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

Smackdown Spoilers for 8.22.08

You're right but at the same time between the two of them, couldn't you see JBL fit more of a title contender over Kendrick? Even with the gimmick changes, I'm able to accept JBL being a top title contender before Kendrick.......way way way before Kendrick and with JBL WWE made it very obvious that JBL was going to go to the main event scene once he became the rich texan. Kendrick, even with the gimmick change, being in the main event challanging for the WWE title is just surprising.

I have a question, it was probably explained before, if that's the case, I didnt see it.

That Raw Battle Royal or whatever they want to call it. Is it like a 6 way match with time limit, meaning anyone can get pinned and they're are the champion or are they just gunning for the current champion?

I personally think that gunning for the champion would be more entertaning and we would have a def. champ after the 20 minutes is up. There wouldnt be any screw up with three people getting the last pin at the same time and the question from KING... (OMG, WHO IS THE CHAMPION?!?)

If they do it anybody can get pinned type of bs, than it's going to be slugfest spotfest match with a couple of HOLY SHIT and 95% punch, kick, chair shots, punch, kick, FINISHER, 3 count, punch, kick, more punch and more kick and it's going suck.

Well, that's my opinion.

They are fighting an almost impossible obstacle in getting people to buy Brian Kendrick as a world title threat. I know they are going for an HBK 1992-93 vibe with him but Kendrick is a runt compared to Michaels from back then (and Shawn wasn't a big dude).

However, I can see MVP stealing a win in this thing. I'm pretty sure Adamle said that the title can change hands several times in the course of 20 minutes, so the guys who get a pin will in fact be considered former champs.

They are fighting an almost impossible obstacle in getting people to buy Brian Kendrick as a world title threat. I know they are going for an HBK 1992-93 vibe with him but Kendrick is a runt compared to Michaels from back then (and Shawn wasn't a big dude).

However, I can see MVP stealing a win in this thing. I'm pretty sure Adamle said that the title can change hands several times in the course of 20 minutes, so the guys who get a pin will in fact be considered former champs.

Unforgiven is in a few weeks right? I expect them to build up Kendrick as a threat due to the fact that he's faster than everyone in the match and he has ZEKE who can beat the hell out of people in the match for him.

Right. That's how I read it. Nowhere in Adamle's speech or the WWE writing did they say that someone couldn't be the "official" Champ during the match and then lose it. They merely said that the final guy to have it will be the Official Champion. Which he will in either scenario. Some people just seem to be hearing/reading "only" in these explanations that isn't actually there.

So, just because he doesn't say "only" the mid-match title reigns will be official, even though he doesn't say they will be?

So, all in all, if say for example, the title switches hands 4 times during both matches, but the original champion STAYS champion in the end (for sake of argument). Who wants to bet there will be some kooky angle on RAW and SD where all those who "lost their titles" during the match will be invoking their automatic rematch clauses?

Hopefully one of the three unnamed battle royal guys is Col... uh, Scotty Goldman.

Not mentioned in the set of spoilers, but in the match:

Armando Estrada

Funaki

Scotty Goldman

I have a feeling Big Show will take Brian's place since I think Zeke cost him his elimination.

Hopefully he will just be added to the match rather than Kendrick being taken out..then with Jericho on Raw both matches will have 6 participants.

I have a feeling Big Show will take Brian's place since I think Zeke cost him his elimination.

Hopefully he will just be added to the match rather than Kendrick being taken out..then with Jericho on Raw both matches will have 6 participants.

That would be better, and hopefully they make these matches 30 minutes, because with only 40 minutes of main eventers on a show, the rest will be the definition of filler.

Well, the entrances/hype packages for the two main events will take about 20:00 each, so there's about 80 minutes of time devoted to the two main events. That's not even counting any postmatch celebrations/angles.

To make it less confusing, I think they should have billed this match as 'Capture The Flag' or something where the person who scores a pinfall gets a red armband or something on them, then the last person to score a fall is the champion.

That way, it can be made clear that the championship doesn't change hands during the match itself but rather goes to the last man to wear the armband. Plus, the armband is a little visual cue for the audience to keep track of who scored last.

A few weeks before he turned heel and jumped Eddie Guerrero, Bradshaw got absolutely squashed in 90 second match by Rhyno.

It can happen.

Plus, the armband is a little visual cue for the audience to keep track of who scored last.

I thought that's what we have announcers for.

Why do people still assume Jericho's going to end up in the Raw Scramble? If they were going to put him in it, why wouldn't they have just announced him at the exact same time as everybody else, instead of doing some angle to put him in?

Not saying it definately won't happen, but I don't see why people think it will.

Well, the entrances/hype packages for the two main events will take about 20:00 each, so there's about 80 minutes of time devoted to the two main events. That's not even counting any postmatch celebrations/angles.

Most world title main events hit around the 20:00 mark anyway, so it isnt a big deal. And they don't always have video packages for some main events.

Why do people still assume Jericho's going to end up in the Raw Scramble? If they were going to put him in it, why wouldn't they have just announced him at the exact same time as everybody else, instead of doing some angle to put him in?

Not saying it definately won't happen, but I don't see why people think it will.

The assumption is that Shawn will continue to remain retired and comforting his wife while Jericho continues to gloat and admonish Shawn for his own actions which would free Jericho for show and since he beat the champion, he has a rightful claim for the match. Otherwise, why have Jericho beat Punk at all? Why have the match at if it doesn't lead anywhere.

I don't subscribe to the theory that Jericho will be a part of the scramble but I can understand the reasoning for why people think he will.

Right. That's how I read it. Nowhere in Adamle's speech or the WWE writing did they say that someone couldn't be the "official" Champ during the match and then lose it. They merely said that the final guy to have it will be the Official Champion. Which he will in either scenario. Some people just seem to be hearing/reading "only" in these explanations that isn't actually there.

So, just because he doesn't say "only" the mid-match title reigns will be official, even though he doesn't say they will be?

No, I never said they WOULD be official. I think Enigma could easily be right. But Adamle and WWE.com don't seem to have said anything to clear up the issue one way or another. The only way to figure it out seems to be to make presumptions about WWE would or wouldn't do ("WWE wouldn't make their world titles look like the Hardcore title"), assume some sort of weird meaning to seemingly simple phrases ("The title switching hands doesn't mean the title will officially change hands"), or reading into syntax of a website that routinely refers to a silver/steel belt as "gold" ("the lowercase c is indicative of

I have no idea which way is right and I think you can read it either way. But I've seen Enigma post the positive statement that it IS one way at least twice in a condescending form that leaves no room for debate. So if he does have a clearer message that is harder to argue I'd just be curious to see it. Because right now the match rules just seem unclear to me while he seems positive about it.

That would be better, and hopefully they make these matches 30 minutes, because with only 40 minutes of main eventers on a show, the rest will be the definition of filler.

Looking at the challengers in the SD match, that's a really loose definition of "main eventers." You still have Undertaker and Edge (assuming he's done burning in hell) available. On the Raw side, Jericho isn't doing anything yet either.

The assumption is that Shawn will continue to remain retired and comforting his wife while Jericho continues to gloat and admonish Shawn for his own actions which would free Jericho for show and since he beat the champion, he has a rightful claim for the match. Otherwise, why have Jericho beat Punk at all? Why have the match at if it doesn't lead anywhere.

Maybe it's natural pessimism, but I don't expect them to wait another month to do Michaels/Jericho again. If they've got a big singles feud going, surely the main-event being a multi-man gimmick match would lend itself to having that singles feud in a singles match on the show as well. Obviously it'd be better to save it to Survivor Series, but the days of 'B-PPVs' aren't so prominent since they stopped doing brand exclusive PPVs, nearly all the shows are so similiar now it's hard to tell. I don't think that would stop them. Besides, Unforgiven, the show name itself lends itself perfectly.

As far as why do Punk/Jericho? Well, Jericho in the Scramble isn't the only natural progression. Maybe this week Jericho says he deserves to be in the Scramble because he beat the World Champ, Adamle says he can't do that but gives him a 1 on 1 Title match with Punk instead, "And Then..." Michaels runs in and costs Jericho the match to give Punk the win back. Not the best option, but would you put it past them?

Like I say, I'm not saying for sure they won't put Jericho in. But I'd say the odds are against it.

Please keep in mind, for the 50th time, any wins in these scramble matches DO NOT COUNT AS OFFICIAL TITLE CHANGES.

Thank God. Can you imagine Brian Kendrick being a 4 time WWE Champion from the same match?

Please keep in mind, for the 50th time, any wins in these scramble matches DO NOT COUNT AS OFFICIAL TITLE CHANGES.

Thank God. Can you imagine Brian Kendrick being a 4 time WWE Champion from the same match?

I can see HHH pinning everyone else in the match so he can get 4 title "reigns" out of the way in his quest to beat Flair (unneeded HHHate, that's what I'm here for).

All I can really hope for is that the other 4 guys from the Smackdown title match, have spin off feuds. So we can get like an MVP vs. Kendrick, Kendrick vs. Shelton or even Hardy vs. Kendrick feud. Just something fresh and different.

It would seem that MVP-Triple H would be the most obvious and likely off-shoot of this match in a variety of possible directions. Unless they want to give Jeff another title contender push without the roadblock of WM ahead, which is possible even with Jeff's habit of poor judgment because they do really like him and he's over enough even with bigger names in front of him.

Anyone know what's up with this UT storyline at this point? Let's see: UT destroyed Edge and sent him to hell, Vickie and Edge have had a falling out, La Familia hates Edge, but UT still goes after La Familia?

I don't forgive and I don't forget.

No, I never said they WOULD be official. I think Enigma could easily be right. But Adamle and WWE.com don't seem to have said anything to clear up the issue one way or another. The only way to figure it out seems to be to make presumptions about WWE would or wouldn't do ("WWE wouldn't make their world titles look like the Hardcore title"), assume some sort of weird meaning to seemingly simple phrases ("The title switching hands doesn't mean the title will officially change hands"), or reading into syntax of a website that routinely refers to a silver/steel belt as "gold" ("the lowercase c is indicative of

I have no idea which way is right and I think you can read it either way. But I've seen Enigma post the positive statement that it IS one way at least twice in a condescending form that leaves no room for debate. So if he does have a clearer message that is harder to argue I'd just be curious to see it. Because right now the match rules just seem unclear to me while he seems positive about it.

Lucky's entire post is sheer brilliance here.

I don't think it actually has been since Wednesday. Rules got defined by WWE, question over.

I'm just kind of bummed that my post got quoted and now I notice that I started some thought there at the end of the 1st paragraph that I never finished. I hate when I say "I'll go back to finish that thought" and never do.