TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 8/28 - 9/1

Can anyone ever remember when a pooch kick actually worked? It's like the prevent defense for special teams.

And overtime. Time for Mike Patrick to bring up Britney.

Can anyone ever remember when a pooch kick actually worked?

I can't. What a complete defensive failure on UCLA's part.

Neuhesiel vs. Fulmer... I can't decide who I want to lose this game more

I was happy that UCLA won all the way until Neuheisel got TV time after the game. What a douche.

Guest Vitamin X

Haha.

Good win, Bruins.

Kotz, at any rate, you were right about it being extremely competitive. It just went the other way, is all.

I'm not sure if I approve of our new uniforms. I'm leaning towards yes, but not if the home uniform is all orange.

EDIT: A check of UTSports.com shows the base uniform remains the same. Orange pants just on the road? I'm down.

AP Top 25

1. USC (21) 1-0 1,539

2. Georgia (20) 1-0 1,506

3. Ohio State (15) 1-0 1,497

4. Oklahoma (2) 1-0 1,432

5. Florida (5) 1-0 1,415

6. Missouri (1) 1-0 1,301

7. LSU (1) 1-0 1,207

8. West Virginia 1-0 1,108

9. Auburn 1-0 1,033

10. Texas 1-0 1,028

11. Wisconsin 1-0 849

12. Texas Tech 1-0 842

13. Alabama 1-0 834

14. Kansas 1-0 748

15. Arizona State 1-0 672

15. Brigham Young 1-0 672

17. South Florida 1-0 588

18. Oregon 1-0 508

19. Penn State 1-0 467

20. Wake Forest 1-0 414

21. Fresno State 1-0 242

22. Utah 1-0 214

23. UCLA 1-0 151

24. Illinois 0-1 147

24. South Carolina 1-0 147

Others Receiving Votes

Clemson 143, East Carolina 108, California 91, Boston College 36, Florida State 36, Cincinnati 35, Tennessee 30, Boise State 19, Bowling Green 17, Virginia Tech 14, Connecticut 9, Rutgers 6, Kentucky 5, Nebraska 4, Oklahoma State 3, TCU 2, Arizona 2, North Carolina 1, Notre Dame 1, Miami (FL) 1, Tulsa 1.

I realize USC won in impressive fashion... but it was fucking Virginia. Not that I'm one to defend Georgia, but what exactly did they do to play themselves out of the top spot?

Played a I-AA team. Teams who schedule trash like that don't deserve to get the benefit of the doubt in any such scenario.

I-AA Rankings

1. App State

2. North Dakota State

3. Richmond

4. Massachusetts

5. Montana (Up from #8 despite not playing a game)

6. Delaware (Up from #9)

7. Eastern Washington

8. James Madison

9. Northern Iowa (Down from #3)

10. McNeese State

11. Cal Poly (Up from #14 after upsetting San Diego State)

12. Southern Illinois

13. Wofford

14. Youngstown State

15. New Hampshire

16. Georgia Southern

17. Elon

18. Western Illinois (Up from #25 after nearly upsetting Arkansas)

19. Eastern Illinois

20. The Citadel

21. South Dakota State

22. Central Arkansas

23. Villanova

24. Eastern Kentucky (Down from #20)

25. Harvard

The teams on the outside looking in: Furman, Sam Houston State, and UC Davis

I'm sure this will be the source of much brow-furrowing and consternation amongst the assorted dudes and bros here in Athens, but it's pretty irrelevant. Georgia will have plenty of opportunities to play themselves back into the top spot later in the season.

I really find it odd how during the Delaware game that the announcers were making a big deal about how was UD going to overcome the loss of Flacco but ignored the loss of Omar Cuff. As great as Flacco was, Cuff was just as if not more important to the offense and it showed. It was a good stand against an ACC team but that offense has to play a helluva lot better than what I saw.

Course if Delaware has another good season, I don't expect the coach to stick around for another one.

A bigger factor in Georgia dropping than who they played is that their starting left tackle and one of their defensive tackles are out for the season. Now, the LT injury happened before the season started, but a lot of the preseason poll ballots had already been submitted. Stewart Mandel from SI.com (one of the voters who moved USC up to #1) had the Bulldogs at number 1 on his preseason ballot (before the injury), then dropped them in his preseason power rankings after finding out about it.

Regardless, the rankings we get a major shakeup after USC plays Ohio State and Georgia plays ASU.

I'm sure this will be the source of much brow-furrowing and consternation amongst the assorted dudes and bros here in Athens, but it's pretty irrelevant. Georgia will have plenty of opportunities to play themselves back into the top spot later in the season.

I didn't understand why Georgia got the #1 ranking to begin with, and for as long as USC plays like this, they're never getting it back.

I didn't understand why Georgia got the #1 ranking to begin with, and for as long as USC plays like this, they're never getting it back.

Were Georgia to run the table this year, they'd almost be assured the top spot in the BCS at the end of the regular season. I don't think they will, but whatever. When you have a schedule that includes Arizona State, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Florida, and Auburn, I think you should be allowed a little tune-up against Georgia Southern.

Why am I defending Georgia?

Guest דניא&#15
I'm sure this will be the source of much brow-furrowing and consternation amongst the assorted dudes and bros here in Athens, but it's pretty irrelevant.

They really shouldn't bother with any of this for another two weeks or so. This is like some meathead from Yahoo! Sports posting his power rankings, except that this beauty pageant nonsense actually counts in some way. At least the 1-AA schools have a championship system, so the FCS top 25 rankings aren't as egregious.