Bored

This Week in Baseball 8/25 - 8/31

A TWIB poll.  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger cunt?

• A.J. Pierzynski
    • A whale's vagina

Can that ruling be changed?

Yes. The official scorer can change his ruling within 24 hours of the game. The Brewers can also request an appeal of a scorer's ruling within 24 hours to the league office. From the ESPN game account, it appears the Brewers will do that. There is no set time for the league office to hand down a ruling.

Rule 10.01 (a)

Guest WhackingCockDick

Some shutdown job that was. Sign of things to come if they make the playoffs and have to face a team that's not the Pirates.

What could have easily been a 4-game sweep if the bullpen didn't leak, becomes a split. Definitely a better end to the Cubs series than start, but going into the series, I would've taken a split easily.

David Eckstein, who apparently still played in Toronto, was traded to the D-Backs. This fulfills my pre-season prediction of him being traded to a playoff team AND we get to hear a bunch of great stories about him come playoff time! Did you know he was small?

How'd I know I'd come in here and see Czech bemoaning the play of a team that's 33 games over .500? I can't believe they didn't beat a guy who gave up eight runs over six starts in August. Or that they lost a game where a middle reliever made a spot start. The audacity! I wasn't happy with either game, either, but let's save all the sky is falling talk for when they're officially out.

I was watching replays on ESPN News just now and heard a familiar voice I couldn't place until they cut back to the studio. It was Coach! I forgot he had moved on to ESPN.

Guest WhackingCockDick

Don't get mad at me! Your signature still calls for Alfonso Soriano to be shot!

Don't get mad at me! Your signature still calls for Alfonso Soriano to be shot!

That's more a function of laziness than anything else. And as we both know, it periodically becomes relevant throughout the season.

I think the big development of this week is that the Marlins are just about out of the race. They are seven back in the NL East. The difference between them and last year's Mets is that the fish need to catch two teams. The Cardinals are also now 7.5 back of the wild card, just about done.

Can that ruling be changed?

Yes. The official scorer can change his ruling within 24 hours of the game. The Brewers can also request an appeal of a scorer's ruling within 24 hours to the league office. From the ESPN game account, it appears the Brewers will do that. There is no set time for the league office to hand down a ruling.

Rule 10.01 (a)

Does anyone think the ruling will actually be reversed? I'd say that probably gets ruled a hit about 99% of the time since scorers generally never expect pitchers to make anything resembling a difficult play. The scorer gave a decent explanation of, "The way the ball came off the bat, it was spinning, and it went to the left of the mound with a left-handed pitcher going to get it. It's a difficult play. The definition requires that standard effort is required, and that would have taken more than an ordinary effort. The runner was well down the line." I think if it happens a little later in the game there's a chance it gets ruled error, but early in the 5th he probably didn't even think twice about it.

Phillies called up Adam Eaton, J.A. Happ, Lou Marson and Greg Golson. Golson is a fast runner at least, he can be a suitable late inning replacement on the basepaths and in the field. He's working on his plate discipline but is likely overmatched by big league hurlers. Marson is a catcher who could well steal the starting job if given the opportunity.