TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

WEC 36: Faber vs. Brown

Faber's getting screwed

Mike Brown: $18,000 (included $9,000 win bonus)

def. Urijah Faber: $14,000

Chael Sonnen: $48,250 ($19,000 win bonus)*

def. Paulo Filho: $30,750*

Leonard Garcia: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. Jens Pulver: $33,000

Jake Rosholt: $22,000 ($11,000 win bonus)

def. Nissen Osterneck: $4,000

Donald Cerrone: $14,000 ($7,000 win bonus)

def. Rob McCullough: $18,000

Aaron Simpson: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus)

def. David Avellan: $3,000

Jose Aldo: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus)

def. Jonathan Brookings: $3,000

Carmelo Marrero: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus)

def. Steve Steinbess: $6,000

Danny Castillo: $6,000 ($3,000 win bonus)

def. Rafael Dias: $3,000

Rani Yayha: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)

def. Yoshiro Maeda: $6,000

* - Filho was forced to surrender 25 percent of his base pay to Sonnen after failing to make weight for the fight. Filho originally weighed in at 192 pounds, and after he got the standard two-hour extension, he could only drop an addition three pounds. The five-round fight was then changed to a three-round non-title affair. Sonnen won via unanimous decision.

I've gotta imagine he'll be much more prepared come the rematch, no?

He has to be. Faber seemed unprepared for Brown, and looked like he was shocked when Brown didn't curl up into a ball and die. Paulo Filho needs to find something else to do with his life. That was one of the most pathetic performances I have ever seen. Someone compared the Fiho-Sonnen to Severn vs. Shamrock II. This was far worse. It might have been half the length, but Fiho vs. Sonnen was the worst fight I've seen all year. I was surprised to see Pulver, and Faber, go down so quickly. I hope they rebound soon.

^^ How quickly he forgets Quarry/Starnes.

Speaking of Nate, he signed an endorsement deal with And1. Yes, the hoops company. Good for him.

Pulver going down quickly: not that big a surprise. He's getting old and Leonard Garcia is either doing one of two things: a) kicking ass (when at his proper weight class) or b) slangin' rocks and apparently he was all out of rocks. But seriously - Garcia is fucking good.

Faber... I dunno. Maybe he was starting to believe his own hype a bit too much. I think this loss will end up being a very positive thing for him.

I think Leonard "The Trafficker" Garcia should get the first crack at Mike Brown though.

^^ How quickly he forgets Quarry/Starnes.

I had managed to erase that abortion from my mind...

But Quarry/Starnes is worse because at least Filho was trying something. It looked like crap because Filho had gassed out, but at least he was trying to do something. Starnes was just the embodiment suck.

And I forget to mention that Aaron Simpson's KO punch was swank.

The payouts for this show just go to show you that being an MMA fighter really doesn't pay off financially yet unless you are in the UFC, and near the top of the card as it is.

Plus the fact that in a company like UFC, if you are not a top three draw, a couple of losses in a row can land you unemployed and relegated to dark show matches.

The sport is growing but it is not nearly as big as some people like to think it is.

I understand that WEC isn't paying out anything like the UFC. But Faber is getting screwed for being the face of the company. Rob McCullough has looked like crap his last few fights and even he made more

Faber is still the highest paid WEC employee, I'm sure.

He probably just signed a new contract with a lower per fight payout in lieu of a massive friggin' guarantee. No way he only made $14k from last week's fight.