TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 9/4 - 9/6

On 4th down Ole Miss scores the tying touchdown with 1:01 to go and no excessive celebration penalty so they get a normal extra point to take the lead.

I hate conference dick measuring, especially two weeks into the season, but god damn Wake really needs to pull this out to save some face for the ACC.

Is it just me or did the Aztecs' runningback have the ball past the goal line before he fumbled it?

Also on that play, it looked like the ball never went into the endzone after the fumble, so ND should've had the ball on their own 1 instead of the 20.

Well OU came out and jumped up 14-0 and made it look like they were going to roll Cincy. Of course it's never that easy for me. Cincy made it a game into the first half of the third quarter, but after Giylards kick return OU just put a hearty ass whipping on Cincy. They should've won 52-20, but Cincy decided to go for a TD with like :02 left and cut it to 52-26. Whatever, I was thoroughly impressed with OU on those first two scoring drives and the entire second half. The second quarter left me completely underwhelmed, but if they can play like they did at any other time in the game then they should be pretty damn good.

As for ND, man they still suck. And forget BYU as a BCS buster, ECU's looking good.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The officiating in the ND/SDSU game has been poor all around. They didn't call a blatant false start on the first Aztec score.

ECU-WVU game is final, 24-3. Beating WVU this handily is impressive but I'm most impressed with the fact that the ECU defense held WVU to 3 points and Pat White to 70 yards passing.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

They have Tulane next week, who has just given up two special teams TDs to Alabama in the 1st quarter.

Anything less than a 2 touchdown win by Florida will be massively disappointing. I realize Miami is not what they used to be but this is still a big time rivalry, and a nationally televised primetime game. Florida really needs to pound Miami early and often. And given that these two will not play again until 2013, the Gators really need to make a mark.

There is absolutely no reason for ECU not to be the #1 ranked team in the country on Monday. Preseason polls are retarded. That was complete and utter domination.

And yet it's not retarded to proclaim a Conference USA team #1 in the nation after TWO games? I mean let's be real here. Virginia Tech was never going to win many games with Glennon as starting quarterback, and I believe West Virginia's success was partly Rodriguez. They weren't going to be as good as last year. There's nothing here that tells me they can beat a team like Oklahoma, Georgia, USC, LSU, Florida, etc.

There is absolutely no reason for ECU not to be the #1 ranked team in the country on Monday. Preseason polls are retarded. That was complete and utter domination.

While I agree that pre-season polls are retarded, you re proposing ranking them highly because they beat two teams who were ranked highly in the preseason polls, not necessarily two good teams.

That call for excessive celebration at the end of the BYU-Washington game was total bullshit. The players are jumping up and down and celebrating being on the verge of tying the game. Unless there was someone doing some freak dance out there that the cameras didn't get caught that was a completely brutal call. The refs don't need to be deciding the game at that point, especially if Willingham is on the hot seat as they're saying he is up in Seattle.

And yet it's not retarded to proclaim a Conference USA team #1 in the nation after TWO games? I mean let's be real here. Virginia Tech was never going to win many games with Glennon as starting quarterback, and I believe West Virginia's success was partly Rodriguez. They weren't going to be as good as last year. There's nothing here that tells me they can beat a team like Oklahoma, Georgia, USC, LSU, Florida, etc.

I don't care about rankings on projection; I personally rank on resume. If they lose a game, drop them. It's perfectly fine to have a different #1 every week. If we insist on having rankings throughout the year, they should be governed by performance and victories, not hypotheticals. No one has performed better than ECU right now.

While I agree that pre-season polls are retarded, you re proposing ranking them highly because they beat two teams who were ranked highly in the preseason polls, not necessarily two good teams.

The hitch in the argument. You're right--this early in the season, there really shouldn't be any ranking, cause VT and WVU might be completely average teams this season. I suppose I'm operating on my own assessment of WVU and VT, who, based on personnel, coaching, and a lot of other things, I expect to be near the top of their conferences this year. In reality, you do need a sample of probably at least 1/3 of the season to make any judgments.

Man, terrible call. The receiver pretty clearly never had possession of the ball. This has been, uh...a little nerve-wracking. I don't know what this game would look like if Miami had a more experienced QB.

Damn, ULM nearly pulled it out against Arkansas. I was fully expecting Bobby Petrino to resign after the game. Oh well maybe next week.

USF/UCF heading to overtime.

Florida all but puts the game away with that touchdown but man, did Miami ever give everyone in the SEC a blueprint to hammer Tebow. That will hurt later on in the year.

Could Georgia Tech actually be an Orange Bowl contender this year? I know the BC game was ugly as all hell, but picking up a big road win in the ACC this early in the season is pretty huge. Especially considering how young this team is and how little time they've had running the triple option. The Jackets are going to be much much better in November than they are right now.

Hey Iggy, are you still doing rankings or planning to do them?

There's a good chance I will at some point, but I doubt I'll be ready with a full Top 25 after Week 2.

I watched quite a bit of WVU/ECU and that was flat out not the WVU team that we've seen for the past 3 years. That was a team that was completely out of rhythm on offense and just looked awful. I can't help but wonder if others are now studying the defense used by USF to corral Pat White and the RBs. WVU may well be like U of L was last year, a top 10 preseason team with a new coach that turns out to be mega disappointing.

Speaking of the Big East, I think we may have the winner here for worst major conference. I guess if the BE plays the ACC in the Orange Bowl we'll know for sure. South Florida vs. Wake Forest...smell the money. At this point I'm resigned to the notion of USF dominating the Big East for years to come, since they are the one program in the conf. with a coach that isn't a slimeball (Leavitt), they're in a big market, and can recruit that FL talent base. U of L and WVU have had coaching changes that have basically wrecked one program and in the process of doing it to another, Rutgers was a flash in the pan, Pitt is crap under Wannstedt, and no one else is too special. It's USF's league to win or lose.

I don't know that I'm even entirely sold on USF winning that conference. They probably are the best team this year, but for some reason I just feel another situation like 04 when they had WVU, BC, Syracuse and Pitt all tied and ended up sending Pitt to get slaughtered in a BCS game.

Bucknell defeated Duquesne 48-42. QB Connor Dixon of Duquesne threw for 429 yards and 6 TD.

John Jenkins Award: Arkansas State b. Texas Southern 83-10... yeesh. Bobby Reid was 3/12 for 53 yards and 1 TD vs. 2 INT. Ran for 27 yards.

Ryan Perriloux Watch: Won 45-18 over Alabama A&M. Threw for 138 yards and 2 TD, ran for 35 yards and 1 TD.

#21 South Dakota State slaughtered #14 Youngstown State 40-7. Kyle Minett ran for 123 yards and 2 TD.

#5 Montana held off #11 Cal Poly 30-28. For CP, Jonathan Dally threw for 248 yards and 2 TD. For M, Andrew Schmidt ran for 148 yards and 1 TD.