TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

Covering Coverage

So what exactly is the 912 project? Beck has a clever way of having monologues where he comes off as a bipartisan voice just out there "looking for the truth" but then once he gets down to the meat & bones of what he has to say, it starts to become all the fault of liberals.

Plus the irony of him ranting about the "voices pushing buttons" while he is being broadcasted by Fox News. LOL.

It's been amazing since he's gone to FOX. It's like he was brought in just for nearly everyone else to mock and shit on. Combined that with his "meltdowns" as of late and it's making for a hilarious slow trainwreck.

Beck suicide by the end of the year is my prediction.

Some people this morning are complaining that Obama seemed to be talking "down" to the American people. I don't know as I didn't see any of it (other than that clip above).

One of the local conservative radio pundits was trying to make a big deal about Obama's off the cuff "Special Olympics" remark last night, in regards to his horrid bowling score. Yeah, probably a bad choice of words, but if these are the kind of things the GOP voice boxes are going to whine about, it's going to be a rough four years for them.

My friends, if George Bush had said this, you know how the liberal drive-by media would be reacting. But because he is the first black president, they can't let him fail.

George W. Bush preferred to keep his zingers classy, such as joking about not being able to find WMDs in Iraq, while soldiers were actively fighting.

"Nope, nothing under here" *applause and cheers from the crowd*

PC-ism is never used against dems, so its just going to end up another thing the media will brush under the rug.

Also, remember the uproar over that mad-chimp getting shot, needing a new one to write the stimulus bill political cartoon... Racism!!!!... even though Obama didn't write the bill, much less read the damn thing.

Obama did make a joke about Nancy Reagan, so he has a history of being, at the least, tactless.

George W. Bush preferred to keep his zingers classy, such as joking about not being able to find WMDs in Iraq, while soldiers were actively fighting.

"Nope, nothing under here" *applause and cheers from the crowd*

Or when talking with amputee/injured soliders and talking about having a battle doing yardwork or something equally stupid

The story will be long gone by Monday.

Covering it, dismissing it like they do with Biden and his gaffes is expected.

As it should be. With all of this country's problems considered, you really want our extended focus to be on a joke the rights are too sensitive to absorb?

As it should be. With all of this country's problems considered, you really want our extended focus to be on a joke the rights are too sensitive to absorb?

Eh... In one sense, I agree, on the other hand, the double standard bugs me. If the media can spend countless weeks using a private citizen, Rush, as a straw-man boogyman at the behest of the White House and some old Clinton flunkies, they can hold Obama's feet to the fire for more than a day over a remark about the handicap.

Besides, Obama is the one who thought it'd be a good idea to go on Leno. Its not anyone but his fault if his comedy is disrespectful.

Eh... In one sense, I agree, on the other hand, the double standard bugs me. If the media can spend countless weeks using a private citizen, Rush, as a straw-man boogyman at the behest of the White House and some old Clinton flunkies, they can hold Obama's feet to the fire for more than a day over a remark about the handicap.

Besides, Obama is the one who thought it'd be a good idea to go on Leno. Its not anyone but his fault if his comedy is disrespectful.

Comparing the media's treatment of Rush Limbaugh to Obama on Leno isn't logical. One is a radio talk show host who apparently holds so much power in the Republican party that the RNC chairman is bending over backwards to apologize to him for remarks made on CNN, and the other is the president of the United States on an entertainment talk show making an ill-advised joke. The media locks on to Rush at times because his entire act is saying things that stir shit up and it actually is rather pathetic to see conservative leaders have to go out of their way to keep him happy.

One person, the president, made a joke that effects NOTHING. He wasn't trying to make any comments about policy or future funding of government programs by making the statement, he was making a joke. That is TRIVIA. The media has a right to report it, because of who said it, but it is ultimately meaningless.

The other person, a radio commentator who makes lots of jokes and comments that effect nothing (such as calling the president a "Halfrican-America" and a "little black man-child" or comparing the backlash against AIG to the rise of the German Nazi Party), but also uses his show as a platform to try and influence public policy and encourages his audience to pressure elected officials, gets multiple public officials to apologize to him over a number of weeks for publicly disagreeing with him because they know he influences a segment of public opinion. That is NEWS.

Rush is exercising his rights as an American to try to influence public policy, and there's nothing wrong with trying to inspire his listeners to action. But if he has the right to use his enourmous platform to the ends he sees fit, the news media has a right and a responsibility to report on the influence he wields over the people in our government.

Okay Swindle, I've tried not to respond to you, but here goes as I've been drawn in finally.

THERE IS NO FUCKING DOUBLE STANDARD. This harmless "private citizen" to which you refer is the absolute worst of reactionary bullshit imaginable. He's the embodiment of the solutions you hear from any given redneck to the problems of today: simplistic, lacking in nuance, and totally ignorant towards the ways of the world outside of America. He's a complete and utter hack retard who has absolutely ZERO credibility as a political entity yet for some reason the Right slobs his knob on a regular basis because... actually, I don't know. Maybe he tells the mythical "Joe Six-Pack" what he wants to hear, which is essentially how things work in a fucking movie. Rush Limbaugh is nothing but a grabasstic piece of amphibian shit who brings out the xenophobe, the jingoistic worst of American society, a society which is predicated on having the largest umbrella on the planet under which people of all stripes and ethnicities can make hay regardless of religious affiliation or national origin. That such a complete bullshit artist has taken control of the right wing of this nation speaks more to the complete lack of ideas on the right, and as such they should be ashamed of themselves. The conservative argument has a place at the table of government, but not when guided by nationalistic impulse when his pill-popping ass would have never put itself on the line. Rather, this walking shitstain would walk around and dictate what we SHOULD be doing, rather than doing it his GODDAMN self. Fuck Rush Limbaugh and all of his kind, including Glenn Beck, and whatever garbage would never sign up to defend this nation but instead sit back and tell others what's best for them. I honestly hope Rush Limbaugh dies TOMORROW, shit, RIGHT NOW, for the hatred and stupidity that he and his ilk have imposed on this nation. All they stand for is completely anathema to what America itself stands and I'd LOVE to see his fat ass sitting in a foxhole actually manning up and defending all of that which he holds so dear. Fuck him, fuck the EIB network (and how about that for a farce of a name), and fuck anyone who believes him or Coulter or whoever the fuck else about that for which this country stands. He'd shit himself if there were still a draft and he was conscripted for service. Run to Canada big boy, because there'd be no one to help him here.

If you can't see how a media figure using his listeners to put pressure on office holders to obstruct the president's agenda (and to have so much influence that anyone in the Republican Party who disagrees with him is immediately forced to apologize) is news, I don't know what to tell you.

If you can't see how a media figure using his listeners to put pressure on office holders to obstruct the president's agenda (and to have so much influence that anyone in the Republican Party who disagrees with him is immediately forced to apologize) is news, I don't know what to tell you.

The entire "Is Rush the leader of the Republican Party?" played as a "When did you stop beating your wife?" type question, imo... my understanding it was the one figure the old Clinton warmachine found that polled low and they started this mess. The media is far less concerned with the OMG!important news and critical problems of the day and will get bogged down in trivia matters when it suits them. Maybe if they had been on their tows, they'd have saw the provision for the bonuses a lot sooner (as well as figure out who was behind it, Dodd or the Obama White House). That was my orginal point.

I can safely say had anyone other than Obama made the crack, it'd have been a week long story.

You would have had a point if the typical response to "when did you stop beating your wife?" had been "well, just recently, but I APOLOGIZED!"

I can safely say had anyone other than Obama made the crack, it'd have been a week long story.

I don't think predictable conjecture that the media would act irresponsibly under different circumstances is proof they didn't act responsibly in the real world.