TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Garth

Help Me Expand My Wrestling Repertoire

Angle/Benoit from the Rumble is the full *****, in my book. So is Rock/Austin from Mania X7, and there's at least two more post '97 I'd give that rating. After Angle/Benoit I haven't seen anything I'd give *****, but then again, I didn't watch wrestling much after that.

If you can find Hart Brothers vs. Steiner Brothers from 1994 on youtube or dailymotion, watch it. It's fantastic. I'll think of some more stuff.

Basically anything Steiners vs. Quebecers from 1993...you said you hadn't seen many Bret matches, so watch Bret vs. Doink from SummerSlam 1993. Actually, watch the whole angle in which he faces Jerry Lawler as well. Bret vs. Kid from 1994 is great too.

In terms of Bret Hart, the following matches are great/important... his rise into singles competition (1991 - 1995)

1991-08-26 (Summerslam): Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect (IC Title)

1992-04-05 (WrestleMania 8): Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper (IC Title)

1992-08-29 (Summerslam): Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith (IC Title. Bret's first Main Event)

1992-11-25 (Survivor Series): Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (WWF Champion vs. IC Champion. First "notable" singles match on PPV b/w them)

1994-01-22 (Royal Rumble): Bret Hart & Owen Hart vs. Quebecers (Tag Titles. Underrated gem as a match. Owen's heel turn)

1994-03-20 (WrestleMania 10): Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (Notable first one on one match)

1994-07-11 (Monday Night Raw): Bret Hart vs. 1-2-3 Kid (WWF Title. Just a very solid "typically great" Bret match)

1994-08-29 (Summerslam): Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (WWF Title Steel Cage)

1994-11-23 (Survivor Series): Bret Hart vs. Bob Backlund (WWF Title. Great stipulation and fabulous job of bringing 70's style to the modern era)

1995-01-22 (Royal Rumble): Bret Hart vs. Diesel (WWF Title. Chaotic "teaser" match to their one at Survivor Series)

1995-03-27 (Monday Night Raw): Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (No Holds Barred. The "unwritten" end of their feud)

1995-09-24 (In Your House 3): Bret Hart vs. Jean Pierre Lafitte (The prototype for a Bret Hart "carry" match)

1995-11-19 (Survivor Series): Bret Hart vs. Diesel (WWF Title. Early pre-cursor to the Attitude Era in terms of match style)

1995-12-27 (In Your House 5): Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith (WWF Title. A real bloody bout and a good antithesis of sorts to their Summerslam match)

Starrcade '85...one of my personal faves. Especially the "I Quit" cage match with Magnum T.A. and Tully Blanchard.

Starrcade '86...Road Warriors vs. Midnight Express on the scaffold and first blood match with Dusty vs. Tully.

Freebirds vs. Von Erichs

Lot of solid ECW action right up until 1999 is worth finding. I was a huge fan of Taz-Sabu from Living Dangerously '99.

The only thing I question about Meltzer's ratings is all those AJPW classics. Really now? It says a person is a fan of the style more than anything. That's well and good, but there's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.

A Five Star Hall of Fame might be a fun idea, to bounce something around.

In terms of Bret Hart, the following matches are great/important... his rise into singles competition (1991 - 1995)

1991-08-26 (Summerslam): Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect (IC Title)

1992-04-05 (WrestleMania 8): Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper (IC Title)

1992-08-29 (Summerslam): Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith (IC Title. Bret's first Main Event)

1992-11-25 (Survivor Series): Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (WWF Champion vs. IC Champion. First "notable" singles match on PPV b/w them)

1994-01-22 (Royal Rumble): Bret Hart & Owen Hart vs. Quebecers (Tag Titles. Underrated gem as a match. Owen's heel turn)

1994-03-20 (WrestleMania 10): Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (Notable first one on one match)

1994-07-11 (Monday Night Raw): Bret Hart vs. 1-2-3 Kid (WWF Title. Just a very solid "typically great" Bret match)

1994-08-29 (Summerslam): Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (WWF Title Steel Cage)

1994-11-23 (Survivor Series): Bret Hart vs. Bob Backlund (WWF Title. Great stipulation and fabulous job of bringing 70's style to the modern era)

1995-01-22 (Royal Rumble): Bret Hart vs. Diesel (WWF Title. Chaotic "teaser" match to their one at Survivor Series)

1995-03-27 (Monday Night Raw): Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (No Holds Barred. The "unwritten" end of their feud)

1995-09-24 (In Your House 3): Bret Hart vs. Jean Pierre Lafitte (The prototype for a Bret Hart "carry" match)

1995-11-19 (Survivor Series): Bret Hart vs. Diesel (WWF Title. Early pre-cursor to the Attitude Era in terms of match style)

1995-12-27 (In Your House 5): Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith (WWF Title. A real bloody bout and a good antithesis of sorts to their Summerslam match)

Those are all great, though I strongly disagree with calling his bout with Lafitte a "carry job," as Carl Ouelett is a phenomenal worker. I would also like to mention:

Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect, King of the Ring 93 (amazing, every bit as great at their SS91 encounter, without repeating the same match).

Bret Hart vs. Doink/Bret Hart vs. Jerry Lawler, SummerSlam 93 (this is what getting heat is all about; this whole fiasco is a total scene. I love it.).

Bret Hart vs. Diesel, KOTR 94 (still my favorite of their three matches, regardless of the finish).

Bret Hart vs. Bob Backland, Superstars, July 94 (the match where Backlund turns heel).

Bret Hart vs. Hakushi, IYH1 (one of the best WWF matches of that year).

Classic matches pre 2000 - Edge & Christian v Hardyz Ladder match, No Mercy 99. Rock/Mankind I Quit match, Royal Rumble 99. Rock/Mankind/Shamrock Cage match, Breakdown IYH 98. Rock/HHH Ladder match, Summerslam 98. No DQ 8 man tag, No Way Out 98. Taker/Bret Hart, Summerslam 97. Austin/Bret, WMania 13. HBK/Razor Ramon Ladder match, WMania X. Savage/Flair, WMania 9. Classic promos/moments - Rock "this is your life", Raw Sept 99. Jerichos debut, Raw Aug 99. The new DX, Raw, the night after Wrestlemania 14. Kanes first appearance, Badd Blood 97. Austins acceptance speech, KOTR 96. Ric Flair "the real world champion" Survivor Series 91. These are just a few WWF memories to see.

I've been a bit busy lately, but have found the time to try and watch some more stuff. So far I have got hold of the January 1997 Raw and Nitro episodes. Have been really enjoying watching those. Going to try some of the other stuff that has been recommended here in the near future as well. I will keep updating this with what I enjoyed/what I didn't

Did I miss something, or did no one mention the Canadian Stampede 10-man tag match? Fucking unreal in terms of the heat generated during the match, and it was a big part of the whole Hart Foundation vs USA/Stone Cold angle that was so killer. Really, anything you can see from that time period (97ish?) that involves Austin and any members of the Hart Foundation is good. The matches with Bret are fucking classics, and the whole Austin vs Bret angle was just fantastic.

Having watched a few of the '97 Raw episodes, I really like the hour format. Maybe it's just the way shows were booked back then but everything seems really focused and the matches get plenty of time. It's very watchable. I'm devoting today to watching as much as I can.

Ill come back and get you links and stuff. but you really need to try get your hands on some wccw shows 1982-1985. Some of the wrestling was amazing and the christmas eve show 1983 is in my opinion one of the best wrestling shows ever made by any company.