TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 9/15 - 9/21

It's always sad that minor league attendence almost always tanks for the playoffs. Pepole care more about the "wacky" minor league promotions that the games themselves. I'm not that surprised that a single game neutral site AAA game is drawing flys.

The lack of group sales really hurts. Minor league teams really depend on advance promotion for their games.

I have trouble naming a minor league player who is already injury prone a top overall prospect. It's Flores. And then you also have to consider Jefry Marte.

Flores has 59 games under his belt, so it's hard to say that his durability is proven. The Rookie ball guys look good, but it is still a LONG way to the Majors.

Worth noting that in 2006, BA rated Cole Hamels #1 in the Phillies' organization despite the fact that he had made ten starts over the previous two seasons. He sure made that pick look good.

I think Trevor Cahill would warrant serious consideration as their top prospect right now. The other day John Sickels did an interview with Athletics Nation and said that he thought Cahill will end up being the better pitcher.

Cahill vs. Anderson is one of those great prospect debates. Buster Posey vs. Tim Alderson is another. Really could go with either guy.

The Phillies still need to score off the Braves to make the Mets' loss matter. And there's the fact that a Phillies' win and Brewers loss would still make the Mets the wild card leader.

And for the "sky is falling" Met fans, remember the Phillies dropped two of three to the Nats last week. They're still in the race.

Piniella has lost his god damn mind. On the heels of two days off, a no-hitter, and starters taking the team seven and six innings deep, respectively, the first guy out the chute in a one-run game against the Brewers is...Bob Howry? He of an ERA of almost 5.50?

Piniella has lost his god damn mind. On the heels of two days off, a no-hitter, and starters taking the team seven and six innings deep, respectively, the first guy out the chute in a one-run game against the Brewers is...Bob Howry? He of an ERA of almost 5.50?

The club is eight games up. At this point, I think there's no harm in putting a guy like Howry in a clutch situation. If anything, it could give the manager a chance to assess and evaluate a guy like that to determine his postseason role.

the front office removed the club's biggest perceived flaw.

I dont think Yost was ever in the Milwaukee bullpen.

No, but whose bright idea was it to use the situational lefty to walk Howard so that same lefty could then pitch against Pat Burrell? Yost was terrible at bullpen management.

Here's an inquiry for those of you who know your team's prospects. I'm coming up with a top prospect for each organization, but I think I may overlook a guy or two who made a huge jump this season. So here's the preliminary list. Any names I should consider?

Boston: Lars Anderson

I think you're right on the money with the selection of Anderson. You might find some Boston fans who'd argue for Michael Bowden, but I'm not of the opinion that his stuff will translate to anything more than a back of the rotation starter.

Funny thing about Lars Anderson. I brought him up on this board about a year ago during an argument about the Yankees and Red Sox farm systems. One of the Yankees fans laughed at me for bringing up "some guy named Lars." One year later and the guy might be a Top 10 prospect.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL
The club is eight games up. At this point, I think there's no harm in putting a guy like Howry in a clutch situation. If anything, it could give the manager a chance to assess and evaluate a guy like that to determine his postseason role.

Lou's assessment better be that Howry is cooked.

the front office removed the club's biggest perceived flaw.

I dont think Yost was ever in the Milwaukee bullpen.

Sad but true :(

Re: the Bricktown Showdown, it's a neutral site game in what's not really known as an established minor league province (the way Iowa connotes Cub territory or most of the Southeast belonging to the Braves) during major league pennant races. They mean well, but it's not important at all.

Man, Fielder is really doing his part tonight. I was in the car for his first homer, but apparently it crossed the street. Damn.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

What's more impressive: Frankie Rodriguez's pile o' saves or Lidge's zero blown saves? I say Lidge.

If anything, it could give the manager a chance to assess and evaluate a guy like that to determine his postseason role.

There should be no postseason role for him. I can appreciate the two quality years he gave the team, but he's done nothing worth warranting a playoff roster spot this season. He's got the experience factor and that's about it.

Gotta keep this train goin', Phils. After counting them out a few weeks ago, I'm pleasantly surprised at the current happenings. We need to take 2 of 3 in the next two series and hopefully we'll be in good shape. I'd never have thought we'd be in this position, and possibly looking ahead, I like our chances against the Cubs, Dodgers, Brewers or Mets. Even if the Phils don't make the playoffs, what a final week and a half it's going to be.

What's more impressive: Frankie Rodriguez's pile o' saves or Lidge's zero blown saves? I say Lidge.

It's definitely Lidge. Outside of the many saves (which are just a by-product of his gross number of opportunities), K-Rod's having a fairly pedestrian year. He's barely a top five closer in the American League.

To watch the Mets do this again for a second straight year is truly amazing.

You'll have to direct me to the point where the Mets had this in the bag. Running the race and falling short (assuming they do, considering the deficit is HALF A GAME), is not the same thing as blowing a seemingly insurmountable lead.

Well, I would have said things should have been steady last Wednesday when the Mets were three and a half games over the Phillies. By no means was it an insurmountable lead, but it was a sizable lead they choked up nonetheless.

With two weeks left, just about anything can happen. Just look at the L10 column and see if you can separate the good teams from the bad. We're down to about two real races. The White Sox and Twins in the AL Central, and the Mets, Phillies and Brewers chasing three spots. Oddly, all three of the NL teams finish with a week at home. The Phillies have the easiest schedule, simply on the basis of having no more games against the Cubs.

Tonight the Phillies send rookie J.A. Happ against the Braves' lone good starter, Jair Jurrjens. The Mets are turning to Brandon Knight against WBC hero Shairon Martis and the Washington Nationals. The Brewers have Ben Sheets against the Cubs' Jason Marquis, so clearly the Brew Crew has the best matchup of the night. A great chance to turn things around tonight.

The White Sox and Twins games are worth noting for their opposing pitchers. The White Sox face Phil Hughes, coming off some impressive minor league outings and finally looking like an elite prospect. The Yankees could use a solid Hughes going into next season. The Twins face Cliff Lee, going for a 23rd win.

Maybe next year!

At least they looked like they were trying to win last night, and both Fielder and Braun contributed.

Give 'em a fucking star sticker.

Umm what about Tampa/Boston? Boston is only a game behind Tampa for the East crown.

Yeah, but it's not really an important race when both teams have essentially locked up playoff spots.

Considering if Boston beats Tampa tonight, Boston would move into first as well, and Tampa has a four game series with Minnesota coming up. That could make it a race in the wildcard between Minnesota and Tampa. It's hardly "essentially locked up". The only team that essentially locked up a spot is the team that DID lock it up, that being Anaheim.

Umm what about Tampa/Boston? Boston is only a game behind Tampa for the East crown.

Yeah, but it's not really an important race when both teams have essentially locked up playoff spots.

Considering if Boston beats Tampa tonight, Boston would move into first as well, and Tampa has a four game series with Minnesota coming up. That could make it a race in the wildcard between Minnesota and Tampa. It's hardly "essentially locked up". The only team that essentially locked up a spot is the team that DID lock it up, that being Anaheim.

Tampa is eight games up on the Twins with 13 to play (11 for Minnesota). The best Minnesota can do is be 3 back with 6 to play. It would be the biggest collapse in the history of modern sport if the Rays were to miss the playoffs at this point. Literally.