TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - October 2008

Former WWE Champion and current TNA personality, Mick Foley, did an interview with Mike Mooneyham over the weekend about his final months in WWE.

“It would be tough to overstate how much I disliked my last 3 1/2 months with WWE."

When asked about Vince McMahon chirping in his ear he said he told Vince, before accepting the job, “Well, I’ve heard about you and those headsets.” Foley said McMahon "told me he was getting better.” He added, “I didn’t imagine it would affect me quite so viscerally. I guess I also was naive enough to think I would be immune to what the other guys accepted as part of the job.”

“It was a month before I got the first dose of Vince’s unique medicine. I spoke to him the next day about it and told him I couldn’t remember the last time I had been belittled and treated so disrespectfully. I accepted his apology and accepted that it was just part of a bad night he was having. But within a few weeks I realized that it would be part of the job and that I had to make a decision as to whether I found that acceptable.”

“I told Vince had he treated me like that in ‘96 or at any time over the last 12 years, it wouldn’t have come as such a shock. But those were magic headsets ... all the respect I had earned over the past 12 years just kind of disappeared.”

Courtesy of PWI:

FORMER WWF ENHANCEMENT LEGEND SPECIAL DELIVERY JONES PASSES AWAY

by Dave Scherer @ 10:48 AM on 10/27/2008

Conrad Efraim, known to the masses as Special Delivery Jones back in the old WWF, passed away Sunday in native Antigua a few days after suffering a stroke. He was 63 years old.

Back in the days when promotions rarely put marquee matches on TV, SD was one of the great "enhancement talents" of all time. A match with him was different than your usual "jobber" bout because Jones would get in a lot of offense and have a competitive match, which his opponent had to work to win. While he did get more of a push earlier in his career, his is best remembered for being a top enhancement guy during the early years of Vince McMahon's WWF.

We pass along our condolences to his family.

Heaven needed a guy to lose in nine seconds. :(

Damn...and SD looked fine (if barely understandable) when he inducted Tony Atlas in to the Hall of Fame.

Then again, Sherri looked fine (if drunk) shortly before her death.

EDIT: Also, I never got why they decided to say the time for that match was 9 seconds when it OBVIOUSLY wasn't.

Former WWE Champion and current TNA personality, Mick Foley, did an interview with Mike Mooneyham over the weekend about his final months in WWE.

“It would be tough to overstate how much I disliked my last 3 1/2 months with WWE."

When asked about Vince McMahon chirping in his ear he said he told Vince, before accepting the job, “Well, I’ve heard about you and those headsets.” Foley said McMahon "told me he was getting better.” He added, “I didn’t imagine it would affect me quite so viscerally. I guess I also was naive enough to think I would be immune to what the other guys accepted as part of the job.”

“It was a month before I got the first dose of Vince’s unique medicine. I spoke to him the next day about it and told him I couldn’t remember the last time I had been belittled and treated so disrespectfully. I accepted his apology and accepted that it was just part of a bad night he was having. But within a few weeks I realized that it would be part of the job and that I had to make a decision as to whether I found that acceptable.”

“I told Vince had he treated me like that in ‘96 or at any time over the last 12 years, it wouldn’t have come as such a shock. But those were magic headsets ... all the respect I had earned over the past 12 years just kind of disappeared.”

I too have found this to be of some concern. Honestly, I don't know how the commentators can maintain their cool during a live broadcast if Vince is constantly screaming things like "LAUGH AT CRYME TYME, YOU STUPID ASS!" or "LAUGH AT HORNSWOGGLE! TALK ABOUT HOW FUNNY HE IS, YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER!" into their headsets. Especially with Michael Cole, I can only imagine how much Vince was yelling into his headset "CALL EDGE THE ULTIMATE OPPORTUNIST, TALK ABOUT WHAT A DAMN PIRANHA HE IS AND HOW HE WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ANY SITUATION!". Me must have been yelling that into Cole's headset every 5 minutes during Edge's various runs on Smackdown. I'm sure the job pays well enough, but there's only so much verbal abuse someone can take before they flip out and inevitably walk off on a live broadcast. I can really understand where Foley is coming from. I wonder if Jeff Jarrett or someone else is constantly yelling into Don West and Mike Tenay's headsets?

I wonder if Jeff Jarrett or someone else is constantly yelling into Don West and Mike Tenay's headsets?

Jarrett to Don West:"Yell 'YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME' at that highspot!"

For those who have seen the Shea Stadium show on 24/7 you'll know that Cole can be quite an amusing announcer when he isn't being fed all of these lines by Vince.

The truly hideous aspect of this is Vince is ranting at the announcers and telling them how to call matches, when he himself was one of the worst announcers ever.

For those who have seen the Shea Stadium show on 24/7 you'll know that Cole can be quite an amusing announcer when he isn't being fed all of these lines by Vince.

The truly hideous aspect of this is Vince is ranting at the announcers and telling them how to call matches, when he himself was one of the worst announcers ever.

He basically wants clones of himself.

My main problem with Vince was his "ONE-TWO-HE GOT 'EM!!!.......wait, no he didn't". While he wasn't as unbearable as say, Don West or even Tony Shiavone, but just about any other announcer could be considered equal or better. This kind of attitude is true of any organization though, where the owner wants things done his or her way, regardless of how much it may damage the product or overall presentation. For instance, I was formerly the Director of Marketing for a wholesale company. I'm not saying I am a genius with words by any means, but my work was professional, and received acclaim from past employers, and was one of the keys in getting hired. Well, the general manager of the company always wanted things done on the marketing HIS way. Case in point, we were running a sale to try to get rid of some overstocked weight-loss pills (Stacker in particular). No matter what I said or how I tried to convince him of what an embarrassing idea it was, he insisted on having "SHED THAT BADONKADONK BUTT!" all over that particular campaign. So, like my former boss, Vince will always want things done his way and no other way because it's his company to do with as he pleases. No matter how ridiculous his announcers end up sounding, or how negatively it may affect the overall presentation. Don't forget, Vince is the same man who has time and again said he knows what we want better than we do.

I thought that was what Mike Adamle was.

Coach was the same way. On the Foley DVD where he and Coach do commentary on one of the matches, Coach came off pretty well.

Someone wrote in to PWInsider, saying that Edge was at the kickoff of the Metallica Death Magnetic tour in Glendale, Arizona. He was said to have a full beard and mustache.

John Cena is the best thing going for the WWE right now. Some of you need to get off of this workrate and mat skills shit and focus on what matters, ratings and crowd attendance. When Ken Doane and Gunner Scott (no one really gives a shit about these two) sell out arenas, then I'll change my mind.

I posted that over two years ago...

I'm glad I was right about that. I can't believe some people thought Ken Doane and Gunner Scott would be main eventing Wrestlemania by now...

John Cena is the best thing going for the WWE right now. Some of you need to get off of this workrate and mat skills shit and focus on what matters, ratings and crowd attendance. When Ken Doane and Gunner Scott (no one really gives a shit about these two) sell out arenas, then I'll change my mind.

I posted that over two years ago...

I'm glad I was right about that. I can't believe some people thought Ken Doane and Gunner Scott would be main eventing Wrestlemania by now...

Yes, but it's not all about theatrics either. Fans DO notice when you can't tell the difference between a wrist lock and a headlock. The Great Khali comes to mind. Also, one person can't do the same thing over and over and not be booed...fans eventually got tired of Hogan's deal too and his character had to evolve. WWE isn't letting Cena's character evolve or anything.

He's evolved from being a hip hop wannabe being choked out by Tazz and destroyed by Lesnar, to an urban influenced underdog, to the unstoppable superman style babyface who respects the troops. He's not the deepest character to ever grace the wrestling ring, but he's not the same character he was four years ago or even two years ago. Now they are building him up as a tough as nails type of guy who's passionate about everything he does.