TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

NFL Week 13

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Their running game is really pathetic. All of their offensive problems I'm seeing are stemming from that.

Why are they attempting to base their passing game off of the play action when they can't establish a running game? That's just bad coaching.

I just realized the Panthers in 2001 won the first game 24-13 then lost 15 in a row. That's something. (I think NE or IND in 1991 did this also, but they beat the other one of those teams, who also went 1-15)

With future Hall of Famer Chris Weinke at the helm!

( by hall of fame I mean....uhh...nevermind)

Westbrook is a beast accounting for 2 reception TDs and 1 rushing TD putting Philly up 21-0 in the 2nd! :o

Now the Eagles decide to pick it up when the playoffs are probably out of reach but a high draft pick isn't. *slaps forehead* Why couldn't they do this earlier in the season?

I just realized the Panthers in 2001 won the first game 24-13 then lost 15 in a row.

I remember that game all too well... my last football season living in Minnesota, going into that game I was thinking it was going to be a wash for the Vikings since they had just come off an NFC title game thorough cavity cleaning appearance, plus they generally did well in their home openers under Green, while the Panthers were coming off an average season... then the Panthers returned the opening kickoff for a TD and it was all downhill from there. On the forum I was posting at the time I said "Wow, I suppose these Panthers really are different from last year's team."

Imagine my embarrassment when I found that post again shortly after season's end.

I just realized the Panthers in 2001 won the first game 24-13 then lost 15 in a row.

I remember that game all too well... my last football season living in Minnesota, going into that game I was thinking it was going to be a wash for the Vikings since they had just come off an NFC title game thorough cavity cleaning appearance, plus they generally did well in their home openers under Green, while the Panthers were coming off an average season... then the Panthers returned the opening kickoff for a TD and it was all downhill from there. On the forum I was posting at the time I said "Wow, I suppose these Panthers really are different from last year's team."

Imagine my embarrassment when I found that post again shortly after season's end.

Well, you were right. They didn't go 1-15 in 2000!

Seeing the Pitt-West Virginia college game reminds me; why aren't the Steelers and Patriots playing in Pittsburgh this year? They played at New England last year too. This would be the perfect week for a home game at Heinz Field since they had the 4 high school championship games, had to resod the field, and now have Pitt-West Virginia out there. We could have been treated to another game like the Steelers-Dolphins game last year.

I think it's safe to say the Cardinals, while they'll finally make the playoffs, will be one and done, much like whoever the NFC North sends... and the AFC West.

I wouldn't be so sure. The NFL can get pretty unpredictable. It's not looking good, but I bet at least one of those teams makes it out of the first round.

Yeah, I could totally see Arizona knocking off the inexperienced Falcons or the choke-artist Cowboys at home. They've been a solid team, but for whatever reason, the east coast is their kryptonite. Doesn't bode well for them long-term with NY, Carolina, and Tampa probably making the playoffs, but they'll be facing a WC team at home in the first round, so they can probably handle that.

I don't think the Falcons will get there. I strongly believe the two WC teams are going to be the loser of Carolina/Tampa divisional struggle and Dallas. Dallas's choking is overrated. The first year was bad, but they did lose to the team that beat the 18-0 Patriots eventually. I doubt that's really a choke in retrospect. I think Dallas would beat Arizona. Especially with healthy Romo this time around. Carolina and Tampa are iffy, but their defenses are strong enough to keep the high flying offense in semi-check.

Dallas lost at home to the Giants after securing the # 1 seed, and beating us by double digits TWICE. The Pats lost on a neutral site thanks in large part to a miraculous play. I think more people gave the Giants a chance to beat the undefeated Pats in the SB based on where they were as a team at that time, than they did to beat the Romos in Little D with their 13 Pro Bowlers and all.

It doesn't matter. The Giants won the Super Bowl. That helps Dallas's credibility. Saying that is like saying Kansas City choked because they were expected to run over Indianapolis in the playoffs in 2006.

Losing to the eventual champion doesn't excuse the fact that a team choked under pressure when they're expected to win rather easily at home. It might not make them look quite as bad as if they lost to a team that then gets annihilated in the next round, but a choke is still a choke.

You just want to hang on to it to lord over Dallas fans. Move on. And expected to win easily? That explains why half the storylines leading up to the game was "Will the Cowboys fuck it up again like the Seattle game?"

Guest Czecherbear
The Giants won the Super Bowl. That helps Dallas's credibility.

Not really...

Don't you guys ever like, feel better, when the team your favorite team loses to, wins it all? It's like putting in doubt, "Well yeah we weren't good enough to be the champions that year, but hey, we lost to the champions." It's like there's going to be the notion that had you not gotten the misfortune of running into the eventual champion, you could have gone so much further? Dallas lost the game with a last second pick. Without that pick, who knows how far they get.

The Cowboys were a 7-9 point favorite in Vegas for the game. The majority of the national media were talking up Romo as though he was destined to go to the first of many Super Bowls last year. Every team that played the Giants in last season's playoffs were heavy favorites except for maybe the Bucs, but even then they were still expected to win. The Giants played the "no respect card" heavily for the last 6 weeks of the season because they actually weren't getting any.

The Cowboys were a 7-9 point favorite in Vegas for the game. The majority of the national media were talking up Romo as though he was destined to go to the first of many Super Bowls last year. Every team that played the Giants in last season's playoffs were heavy favorites except for maybe the Bucs, but even then they were still expected to win. The Giants played the "no respect card" heavily for the last 6 weeks of the season because they actually weren't getting any.

Once again you're ignoring the fact the media was questioning whether the Cowboys would fuck it up again or not. The odds makers operate separately from the media.

Guest Czecherbear
Don't you guys ever like, feel better, when the team your favorite team loses to, wins it all?

Again, not really. Teams don't absorb the souls of their vanquished foes. It's the same silliness as rooting against the team that beat your team because it's cathartic to see them get their comeuppance. I saw both sides of this in this year's NLCS. Both sides: retarded.

Don't you guys ever like, feel better, when the team your favorite team loses to, wins it all?

Again, not really. Teams don't absorb the souls of their vanquished foes.

Then you hold a cynical attitude where it's all or nothing. I do believe in varying degrees of success in any given year. But I'm not criticizing anybody here. Sports fandom is a weird beast that takes on different forms.

Guest Czecherbear

Playoffs are all-or-nothing in most cases. There are situations where you can have a non-championship form of success, like if this year's Bulls can help Derrick Rose mature and develop for the coming years. I don't believe in the who-else-does-what mitigating factors in the playoffs, though.

There's still people who think the Patriots choked. That term is never going to go away and trying to change the mind of someone who's team WON THE SUPERBOWL isn't going to change anything. Especially since the Cowgirls were this year's media pimp.

Look at the Falcons. If they made the playoffs but was one and done, does that mean their season was a bust? No. That's what I'm getting at. Yes, it's different with the Cowboys since they had the #1 seed and was expected to be a major player in the playoffs, but at the heart of it, it was a last minute interception that eliminated them. Hardly the beatdown (which I think would constitute a choke on the level people here claim it to be) some people would have you believe.

Again, not really. Teams don't absorb the souls of their vanquished foes.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE