TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The MLB Winter Meetings Thread

From Baseball Prospectus:

–Las Vegas isn’t just a mecca for gamblers (my Florida minus-2 gambit against Florida State failed in college hoops tonight) but closers, too. Free-agent closers Francisco Rodriguez, Brian Fuentes, and Trevor Hoffman are all in town to meet face-to-face with clubs, and there is talk Kerry Wood might make an appearance as well between the time the meetings officially open Monday and end Thursday. Look for Mets GM Omar Minaya to run up quite the entertainment bill for the Wilpons, as he plans on taking both Rodriguez and Fuentes to dinner.

–A wild rumor making the rounds is that the Rays might replace the Orioles as the third team to facilitate a trade that would send ace starter Jake Peavy from the Padres to the Cubs. Reportedly, the Rays would acquire veteran Brian Giles from the Padres to play right field. However, that seems doubtful, as Giles is a native San Diegan and has no desire to waive his no-trade clause. Regardless of how it shakes out, Padres GM Kevin Towers is determined to get five players back in any deal, and the Orioles want both center fielder Felix Pie and shortstop Ronny Cedeno from the Cubs in any deal.

–The Tigers have cooled off from their pursuit of Pirates shortstop Jack Wilson, and would now prefer to instead use four-corners player Jeff Larish as one of the chips to try to acquire Mariners closer J.J. Putz in a trade. The Tigers feel shortstop Adam Everett is the equivalent of Wilson and they can acquire him more cheaply as a free agent without giving up any players in return.

post-11229-1228908025_thumb.jpgWFan is reporting that Joel Sherman is reporting that the Yankees have come to an agreement with CC Sabathia. Only took him a month. It's funny because Mike Francessa pretty much spent his whole show yesterday on CC and ripping him for taking so long and dragging his feet.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12102008/sport...deal_143481.htm

I've heard the deal is around 160 million.

The Yankees are now turning their attention to Sheets and Burnett.

7 years 160 which is cheaper per year than what Santana got I believe. The rumor off of wfan is that they are going after Lowe next and might get a third pitcher.

Tim Brown and Gordon Edes of Yahoo report that the deal is for $161MM over seven years (which would top Johan's average annual value).

The deal has an opt-out clause after the first three years, which are worth $69MM. The 31 year-old Sabathia will make his opt-out decision after the 2011 season with four years, $92MM remaining on the deal. He would have to buck the opt-out trend (or renegotiate) to make this more than a three-year, $69MM deal for the Yankees.

Hat tip: mlbtraderumors.com

So I'm hearing that the Cardinals might trade Rick Ankiel. I guess if they get something real good in return, I could be okay with it. Just seems wrong, though.

So I'm hearing that the Cardinals might trade Rick Ankiel. I guess if they get something real good in return, I could be okay with it. Just seems wrong, though.

Change his position to SP and pawn him off on the Yankees :lol:

They talked about parting with him in a trade for JJ Putz. That would be an excellent haul for Ankiel.

The Cards should be trying to trade Ludwick. Sounded like the Rays may interested in swapping Jackson or Sonnanstine for him. They should totally jump on that. Ludwick has fluke written all over him.

Looks like a lot of deals could start happening today now that Sabathia and K-Rod have signed. I'll keep posting news bits unless you guys get sick of me.

-Cesar Izturis has reached a two-year deal with the Orioles for about $6 million.

I like this deal for the Orioles. He stabilizes a problem position for the O's and improves their shoddy infield defense.

-ESPN's Jayson Stark says the Dodgers have reached an agreement with Blake for three years and slightly more than $17.1MM. The Twins apparently offered two years, $14MM. He adds that Mark Loretta's deal is for one year and $1.25MM.

From Rosenthal:

The Jermaine Dye-to-the-Reds discussions continue at a "moderate" level, but for the moment the White Sox continue to plan on Dye being their Opening Day right fielder, according to a major-league source.

A deal for Dye was indeed close before Thanksgiving, the source said, with the White Sox expected to receive right-hander Homer Bailey and perhaps another prospect in return.

The trade, however, stalled in part due to questions about how much the White Sox would pay of Dye's $11.5 million salary next season. The amount they paid would have affected the quality of the second prospect in the deal.

Now, the Reds simply might wait to determine whether they can sign a free-agent outfielder such as Bobby Abreu or Pat Burrell at a comparable salary without giving up any players in a trade.

Neither Abreu nor Burrell was offered salary arbitration by their former clubs, so neither would cost the Reds a draft pick.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean it'd be nice to sign Abreu or Burrell and give up nothing, but I have doubts either will sign for 11-12 million a year. Plus, if you're gonna sign Pat, why didn't they just resign the younger and better Dunn, as they are quite similar.

The player I'd want the Reds to sign is Milton Bradley, I don't care about the attitude, the only thing that worries me is the injury history. But in GABP Bradley would put up great numbers and would be that switch hitting bat they need between Votto and Bruce.