TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Week 17

If the Pats somehow win this division without Brady then Belichick needs to be COTY and Cassel needs to get serious consideration for MVP.

Yes.

No. Cassel still has Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and the same offensive line. Anyone's producing with that protection and arsenal. Fuck him.

Coach of the Year SHOULD be between Belichick and Mike Smith. Cassel doesn't even need to be in MVP talks.

I don't see how Belichick should be COTY if Miami ends up winning the division after being 1-15 last year. Sparano needs to be in this discussion for sure.

I retract my previous statement. I completely overlooked Sparano - the turnaround of the Dolphins season is likely to be very unfairly forgotten if the Pats win the division. Given the treatment of the Pats '07 campaign, I guess things are kind of coming full circle.

On that note, there's a lot of teams that are going to be remembered for being let-downs this year, compared to how many will be represented as pleasant surprises: Atlanta, Miami. Tennessee will be overlooked after starting 10-0, the Bills will be remembered for blowing a 5-1 start, Detroit is Detroit, there's nothing salvagable about the West divisions. What a bleak picture I'm painting.

Lets not forget that Miami was competitive while losing all those games last year, and this year have probably the easiest schedule of anyone. Oh and that QB they picked up has a pretty sweet resume before the Jets dropped him for Favre.

Guest Smues

Oh ok it's not impressive because they were a competitive team that almost went winless. I understand now.

Lets not forget that Miami was competitive while losing all those games last year, and this year have probably the easiest schedule of anyone. Oh and that QB they picked up has a pretty sweet resume before the Jets dropped him for Favre.

They've won eight games more than they did last year. Shut up.

Guest Vitamin X

Point differential means shit. The Packers are +29 in that category, and the Dolphins are likely the ones who are going to the playoffs as division champs. The only thing that matters is Miami has 10, possibly 11 wins in a season where that apparently seems rather hard to come by for a lot of teams and you have to give them credit for winning the games they're supposed to win and keeping themselves in the hunt for a playoff spot. That's a well-coached team, unlike the one in northern Wisconsin that can't seem to close out a game any better than a Mets relief pitcher.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Despite all the losses last year, the Dolphins were competitive in several of those games. I don't have the exact stats in front of me, but they lost something in the neighborhood of six games by three points or less.

That said, one win is one win, and to go from that to THIS is friggin' amazing. I will say that the Falcons were worse on paper at the start of the season. Their turnaround impresses me more.

They've won eight games more than they did last year. Shut up.

It's nine already, and could be ten if the Jets roll over and die the way they have most of the last 4 weeks.

The thing about Atlanta is not so much the talent on the team, but there were the biggest off-field disaster last year that I've ever seen in any sport. Their star QB was in jail and their head coach packed up his bags in the middle of the night after promising the team earlier in the day that he would be there til the end. They had no chance to succeed last year, and Mike Smith has taken that mess and managed to turn it around with a rookie QB that many thought had bust written all over him. If he wins COTY, it would certainly be a deserving win.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

As much as the Atlanta turnaround? I don't think so. That organization was in complete disarray as Kahran just outlined.

Kansas City being successful next year wouldn't blow my mind considering how lousy that division is, and the fact that they already have a superstar player in Tony Gonzalez and a young QB that's showing some promise. Add a couple good rookies and one of the many FA defensive linemen in the offseason? That would be enough to make a big step out west.

In fact, it would be quite similar to Miami fixing their biggest weakness at QB with a seasoned veteran, a defensive star getting comfortable, and adding a coach that takes better advantage of his players' talents.

Let's be real here, a +9 or +10 in your win total in a season with only 16 games is impressive regardless of the situation.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh, absolutely. I'm taking nothing away from Miami's season. I'm just more impressed with Atlanta, that's all I'm saying here.

I was comparing Kansas City to Miami, for the person/people saying the turnaround wasn't impressive. I agree Atlanta's turnaround has been most impressive (I still remember being amazed they beat the Bears in, what, week 3? And now look.) and was not comparing KC or Miami to them.

Guest Czecherbear
2 Wins against teams with winning records. Only scored 21 more points than allowed. Unimpressed.

Yeah, send them to the Independence Bowl.

Guest Vitamin X

This week's games look awful.

EDIT: This was an embedded youtube with that awful "Saved By Zero" Toyotathon ad. Took it out for everyone's sanity, including my own.

The whole embedding a thread with a song isn't that funny, guys.

Oh, I beg to differ. It's always funny. I was giggling for hours over the Home Improvement theme song a few months ago.

Guest Vitamin X

Bwahahaha. 73 yard TD run by our 3rd string running back, DeShawn Wynn. Yes, these Detroit Lions are something special.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Broward's next post in this thread will be him going nuclear over the officiating in the Bears game.

Highlights:

1. Roughing the passer call against Houston on a play where Orton didn't even hit the ground.

2. No whistle on an OBVIOUS forward pass from Schaub that hit the turf and was returned for a "touchdown." Refs conferred and ruled forward pass and intentional grounding. Got the call right, but holy shit, everyone in the stadium not wearing stripes had that one before the zebras did.

The Giants and their outstanding ability to let a RB go straight up the gut untouched with 8 in the box have just given the Vikings a division title.