TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

I'd have settled for blue & orange for Peppers if it brought Cutler.

I turned on Delhomme faster than he could turn it over to me if I had a Cardinals jersey on.

Julius Peppers is awesome, but he's a terrible fit for that defensive scheme in New England. Given what they are giving up, in terms of money and picks, makes me think this isn't the slam dunk some think it is. But, whatever, Belichick forgot more about football during breakfast than I'll ever know.

I think Julius Peppers has the ability to fit on any kind of defensive scheme he wants to. He's just a beast, he'll be one of my picks to make the All Decade team at the end of this year.

The Bears need to make a move for Jay Cutler. Can't stress it enough. Is it all about the quarterback, Jerry?

Honestly, I'd rather have Peppers.

Cutler would be expensive. Briggs plus picks, at least. They'd be better off making a cheaper move for Peppers, then making a short jump up in the first for Sanchez or Stafford; whichever one slips, because one will.

Adam Schefter says that he's 99.9% certain that the Peppers-to-New England deal won't happen. Good. I'd definitely prefer that the Patriots not win all of their games again.

Does "addition by subtraction" ever work in the NFL? I've never understood the idea that you could get better by getting rid of your best players. And it's not like Peppers is a locker room cancer or anything, at least as far I know of. The guy just comes out and says "I don't wanna play here no more" and Carolina has to scramble to find a trade partner? Fuck that. He's under contract. Same with Jay Cutler. If you're all butthurt and don't want to get paid obscene amounts of money to play for the team that you're under contract to, go work at a cell phone kiosk with Travis Henry.

Does "addition by subtraction" ever work in the NFL? I've never understood the idea that you could get better by getting rid of your best players. And it's not like Peppers is a locker room cancer or anything, at least as far I know of. The guy just comes out and says "I don't wanna play here no more" and Carolina has to scramble to find a trade partner? Fuck that. He's under contract. Same with Jay Cutler. If you're all butthurt and don't want to get paid obscene amounts of money to play for the team that you're under contract to, go work at a cell phone kiosk with Travis Henry.

He's not under contract, that's the problem. He's got the franchise offer and it's taking up cap space as a result (for reasons I do not understand, admittedly), but he hasn't agreed to sign it yet so Carolina can't do shit in the already weakened free agent market or make trades that bring in more expensive players.

If he wants to leave, eventually he's going to get the opportunity to do so, and it's better to get rid of him in a trade and get something for it rather than getting 1, 2 years of lazy unmotivated play. Plus, the longer he plays like shit the harder he is to trade, as you lose out on some trade partners who think he's going to be lazy and contribute squat, and you lose out on leverage as everybody knows his value to you is far less than his value will be elsewhere.

Ah. It must have slipped my mind that they tagged him this year. So in the event that they do end up trading him, shouldn't they try to get a little more than a 2nd round pick? Seems like the guy should have tremendous value, as we've all seen how dominant he can be when he's healthy and motivated. I can understand not wanting to take on additional big money first round gambles, but at least try to get a player out of the deal. Maybe trade him straight-up for a disgruntled quarterback.

Well I think part of it is that Peppers has been somewhat inconsistent- everyone knows he had a great season in 08, but his 2007 season was total ass. Only 2.5 sacks and 31 tackles in 14 games- and that's at 27 years old, too. And everyone knows that defensive linemen go downhill very quickly in this league, so right now he's 29, so you maybe figure you have a couple years left where he's playing with that tremendous speed and strength we all know him for and after that he may not be as good. I mean, I guess I could see that, because I'm trying to figure out why the hell the Packers weren't banging down his door since it seemed the team would be perfect for him- you get a veteran leader on defense rather than drafting another rookie at the #9 spot, and he gets to be on a team that's coming back healthy and is a season removed from the NFC Championship Game (and a dumbass Brett Favre throw's from the Super Bowl) that's returned most of its starters, although there are some problems with the offensive line.. that probably won't be too bad since the defense is the problem there (Green Bay had the league's 5th ranked offense just behind Arizona).

But the more I think about it, the more it's likely that he might just flame out elsewhere and that's the main reason why he hasn't been traded yet even though everyone knows you'll definitely get an impact player on defense for at least one or two years. I'm thinking probably 3-4, but still that's the window most teams have for a championship, don't they?

In other news, although it's only vaguely football-related, President Obama tabbed Steelers owner Dan Rooney as the ambassador to Ireland. I don't know why.

Proposals to be discussed at the owners meeting, per ESPN.com

In other competitive items that will be discussed at next week's owners meeting in Dana Point, Calif., the committee recommended a reseeding proposal for the draft order in future years. Under the proposal, the 20 teams that didn't make the playoffs would be seeded based on their record as it is currently formatted. The change would involve teams making the playoffs. Those playoffs teams would be seeded in slots 21 through 32 but they would drop in the positions based on how long they lasted in the playoffs.

The Jacksonville Jaguars have proposed a reseeding change in the playoffs that would reward non-division winners with better records with a higher playoff seed than division winners with worse records.

In 2008, the Kansas City Chiefs proposed a rule change to limit the amount of hair coming out of a helmet, but the Chiefs didn't resubmit that proposal this year, and it will not be discussed at the owners meeting.

The NFL will look into changing instant replay rules in hopes of avoiding a repeat of the blown call by referee Ed Hochuli that helped cost San Diego a game last season.

The competition committee will propose that when the ball comes loose when a quarterback is throwing, replay can be used to determine if it is a fumble or an incomplete pass. Such a change would resemble the rules alteration made for down-by-contact plays two years ago.

In the final minute of a game at Denver in Week 2, Hochuli ruled a ball that slipped from Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler's grasp was an incomplete pass instead of a fumble. The ball was recovered by the Chargers and Hochuli later acknowledged his decision was wrong.

There will also be no change to overtime rules.

Nah, there has to be some point to winning a division championship other than selling t-shirts to drooling idiots who would actually wear a "2009 NFC North Champions" shirt with pride.

This Jay Cutler thing keeps getting weirder. Apparently McDaniels did a terrible job of communicating with Cutler during all the transitional-period stuff, or something, and further alienated him. Is everyone from the Belichick Crime Family a grumbling social retard? Can any of them take a job without phlegmatically irritating all their employees, co-workers, and media? I can already feel "biggest blunder" status being placed on the Shanahan firing.

The Shanahan firing has to be, at thiks time, the worst off-season move this year. Why he was fired but Dick Jauron kept his job is beyond me.

Haven't teams learned not to hire from the belichick tree yet? Unless its belichick himeself, these coaches never seem to pan out

The Shanahan firing has to be, at thiks time, the worst off-season move this year. Why he was fired but Dick Jauron kept his job is beyond me.

Haven't teams learned not to hire from the belichick tree yet? Unless its belichick himeself, these coaches never seem to pan out

Eric Mangini isn't doing horrible, he kinda got a raw deal with the Jets IMO.

Maybe, like Belichick, they all need one awful round of head coaching experience before they go somewhere else and become geniuses.

Next team Crennel coaches will be a dynasty, just watch!

Both him and Belichick's 1st coaching gig was in Cleveland. Both only had one winning season with the Browns. Crennel will coach the next dynasty team in the NFL!

Nah, there has to be some point to winning a division championship other than selling t-shirts to drooling idiots who would actually wear a "2009 NFC North Champions" shirt with pride.

With Czech on this one.

But there IS an incentive to winning your division--you still get to go to the playoffs and have a chance to get to the Super Bowl. If you can manage to sell a few division championship t-shirts to some drooling idiots along the way, kudos!

You're telling me it's fair that the Colts go 12-4--a great season that included a win over the Chargers--yet have to travel to play the 8-8 Chargers in a wild card game--who barely qualified for the playoffs--just because the Colts happened to be divisionally aligned with the incredible 14-2 Titans and the Chargers' thorough mediocrity was rewarded only by their division mates' total incompetence? That's more unfair than the OT rules.

You didn't, but as with most NFL contracts, it's not at all that long or that much.

According to the sources, who have seen Lewis' contract, the deal is actually a complicated version of accounting designed to pay Lewis $10 million in the first year of the contract. That breakdown is a $6.25 million signing bonus, a $2.75 million roster bonus and a $1 million base salary for the 2009 season.

The Ravens then have two "options" to exercise in the 2010 and 2011 seasons. If the Ravens pick up the 2010 option, they must pay Lewis $1.25 million as an option bonus. He then makes $4.25 million in base salary. In 2011, the second option bonus would pay Lewis a $2 million bonus and a base salary of $4.5 million. No details were given in regards to the latter four years of the contract.

"The reason for doing it this way is to deal with the salary cap, assuming that there's a cap again," the NFLPA source said. "It's just a way of handling the proration on the signing bonus and the other money."

He'll be on the deal for 2-3 years, make about $16-22 million, and then probably retire. The way the NFL's non-guaranteed contracts are discussed in sports media is generally pretty ridiculous since most players won't see half of their big deals. Haynesworth's "$100 million deal" this season is one of the most notable, as it's actually going to be just a 4-year deal for $48 million.

But there IS an incentive to winning your division--you still get to go to the playoffs and have a chance to get to the Super Bowl. If you can manage to sell a few division championship t-shirts to some drooling idiots along the way, kudos!

You're telling me it's fair that the Colts go 12-4--a great season that included a win over the Chargers--yet have to travel to play the 8-8 Chargers in a wild card game--who barely qualified for the playoffs--just because the Colts happened to be divisionally aligned with the incredible 14-2 Titans and the Chargers' thorough mediocrity was rewarded only by their division mates' total incompetence? That's more unfair than the OT rules.

Is it any more fair that the Patriots went 11-5 and missed the playoffs? If an 8-8 division winner has to take backseat to a 12-4 wildcard why shouldn't they take a backseat to a team that won 3 more games than them and not go to the playoffs at all? Why should a division winner automatically go the playoffs?

So Donte Stallworth was in fact drunk when he hit and killed that pedestrian the other day, blowing somewhere between a .12 and a .14. I would say that the guy's fucked if the Leonard Little precedent did not suggest otherwise.

If there's no reward for winning your division, don't have them.