TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Cop delayed Ryan Moats from seeing his dying Mother In Law.

DALLAS -- A police officer was placed on administrative leave Thursday over a traffic stop involving an NFL player whom he kept in a hospital parking lot and threatened to arrest while his mother-in-law died inside the building.

Officer Robert Powell also drew his gun during the March 18 incident involving Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats in the Dallas suburb of Plano, police said.

"I can screw you over," he said at one point in the videotaped incident. When another officer came with word that Moats' mother-in-law was indeed dying, Powell's response was: "All right. I'm almost done."

Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle apologized to the family and announced that Powell would be on paid leave pending an internal investigation.

"When we at the command staff reviewed the tape, we were embarrassed, disappointed," Kunkle said. "It's hard to find the right word and still be professional in my role as the police chief. But the behavior was not appropriate."

Powell, 25, a three-year member of the force, stopped Moats' SUV outside Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano after Moats rolled through a red light.

Police officials said Powell told his commanders he believed he was doing his job, and that he drew his gun but did not point it. Kunkle said Powell was not necessarily acting improperly when he pulled his weapon out, but that once he realized what was happening should have put the gun back, apologized and offered to help the family in any way.

"His behavior, in my opinion, did not exhibit the common sense, the discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit," Kunkle said.

Moats' wife, who was in the car along with other relatives, said Powell pointed his weapon at her.

"He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car," Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4017382

I feel sorry for Moats that he didnt get a chance to say goodbye to his mother in law. The cop should be fired if he didnt beleive Ryan all he had to do was follow him into the hospital to see if the story was true.

ESPN showed the video. I'm usually on the police side of things, but not in this case. It's not just a case of some guy trying to get out of a ticket by claiming he had to go to the hospital. A car full of people all had the same story, they were AT the hospital, and a fucking nurse came out and told the cop the same story. Then another cop showed up and told the cop he should probably let him go. The guy got a bug up his BUTT and he probably should lose his job for it, or at least suspension and some re-training or something. I'm as anal as they come about traffic laws, but safely blowing a red light to get to a dying relative is a-ok in my book.

Yeah, the whole story is pretty messed up. He was told the situation and if he still wanted to be an ass, he could have still wrote his ticket like a sick dickhead after. But after being told by a nurse and another cop that his mother in law is dying right then...I almost get the feeling that might have gave him a sick thrill at what he was doing to the guy. When someone says that and you respond, "Alright. I'm almost done."

Seriously, the fuck dude?

I had basically forgotten about the NFL Network drama a while back, but then I heard now that Comcast are most likely completely dropping it on May 1. The NFL told them that it either has to be part of the standard cable package or just not on at all, so Comcast chose option B. I don't think they ever even had a deal with Time Warner Cable, so at this point about 2/3 of the country doesn't even have the opportunity to get the channel anymore. Awesome work by all involved.

I bet this leads to more insufferable "x is good, y is evil" dueling ad campaigns like the time Comcast wouldn't pick up the shitty Big Ten Network. That was a fun chapter of sports television history.

The NFL Network isn't any damn good either, from what little I've seen. More like NFL Public Access.

I bet this leads to more insufferable "x is good, y is evil" dueling ad campaigns like the time Comcast wouldn't pick up the shitty Big Ten Network. That was a fun chapter of sports television history.

The NFL Network isn't any damn good either, from what little I've seen. More like NFL Public Access.

Well, I guess I won't be seeing any Thursday night games on NFL Network anymore.

They still need a receiver, badly. But yeah, big upgrade at QB.

When Brandon Lloyd is one of your top receivers, you know you have a problem.

Well, I've read on a few sights, but no NFL confirmation, that apparently Michael Bush is now a Bengal. Ocho Cinco went the other way to the Raiders.

Would be an interesting deal if that took place. Though I'm kinda surprised because I thought the Raiders were going to use Bush and McFadden as a 1-2 punch of lightning and thunder. Guess not.

More weapons for Matty Ice but we'll see if Gonzalez makes them that next level team, I think its more important for them to keep Turner going in the running game since Gonzalez is at the end of his career

Matt Stafford will be the number one overall pick with $41 million guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm all for a rookie salary cap considering Stafford is probably going to be another Joey Harrington. Stafford and Albert Haynesworth are now the highest paid players in the league in terms of guaranteed money. Unbelievable.

I'm so sick of hearing about Brett Farve and the media love affair with him. Part of me thinks he needs to come back and get a career ending injury just to keep him from wanting to come back next year again.

And why all this hype around him comming back at all? He is only getting worse and worse and he isn't leading any team short of maybe the Pats to a superbowl and that would have less to do with him and more to do with the fact that you can put anyone in the New England backfeild and they will do good things cough Matt Castle cough cough.

So why the love afair with wanting to see an middle aged man get killed on the football feild for one more year? I never heard anyone waiting and wondering when Joe Montana would come out of retirement or Dan Marino or any of the great quarterbacks of the past so why Farve? I just don't get it

Source: Favre, Vikes to discuss playing

Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre plan to meet at an undisclosed location later this week to discuss the possibility of the former Packers and Jets quarterback renouncing his retirement from the NFL to play the 2009 season with the Vikings, according to a source with direct knowledge of discussions between the two parties.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4142857

And so it begins...

I posted this as a MySpace blog already, and I don't have the energy to rewrite my opinions, so I'm copying and pasting. Yeah, it contains information you already know on top of my opinions, but whatever:

For 14 years, ever since I started watching football regularly (before that, it was just the Super Bowl each January and I didn't even know all the rules of the game) the Packers have been my favorite team and Brett Favre has been my favorite player. But while the Packers will always be my team, I'm thisclose to washing my hands of all things Favre.

I was never too bothered by the "will he or won't he return" drama in Green Bay because I wanted to know. I wanted him to come back and play for the Packers. He was my favorite; a guy I looked up to. Then there was last year's offseason when he retired (the first time). I actually shed some tears with him during his retirement press conference.

I was angered and disappointed by the way things went down last summer with him deciding to come back (that part excited me) and the subsequent trade to New York (that part did not), but I blamed management just as much as Favre on that fiasco. It was 50/50. Both sides screwed up.

Thus, I supported him last year. The Jets were/are in a different conference than the Packers and didn't play each other, so I wanted New York to do well. I wanted Brett to play well because I was a fan of his, and I wanted the Jets to do well because the better they finished, the higher draft pick the Packers would get from them.

Fast forward to early 2009. Brett, after a decent 2/3 of a season and subsequent meltdown in the final 5 games that the Jets played, chose to retire. Again. While it wasn't the way I wanted to see him go out, not even quarterbacking the final play in a loss that helped drive the nail into the team's coffin, I accepted it. I could appreciate all that he did for the Packers over his decade and a half of service with the team. He was still Brett f'ing Favre, after all.

Not long ago, the Jets drafted Mark Sanchez to be their quarterback of the future. Following this move, Brett Favre was released. People speculated that he asked for his release (he had 1 year left on his contract), but it was later confirmed that the Jets' management made the decision on their own.

Now, for the last few days, it's been all over the media that Favre is meeting today and tomorrow with Vikings coach Brad Childress (a man not even Vikings fans like, frequently brandishing "Fire Childress" signs at games) to discuss a possible return. Of course, Minnesota was the team Brett wanted to be dealt to or to sign with if the Packers granted him his release.

Fucking Minnesota. Green Bay's #2 rival behind the Bears. For all the love and respect I have had for Brett Favre over the years, this is the last straw. To be honest, if he came back now, after retiring TWICE, to play for any team, I'd lose a lot of respect for him. No need to risk bastardizing his legacy any more. He's about to turn 40 and has a bad arm, anyway. But if he comes back for the Vikings, of all teams, Brett will manage to immediately drop from "all time favorite" to "biggest douche in football". The sole reason for such action would be to "stick it" to the Packers. How petty can a man be? The guy's about to turn 40, not 14. How utterly childish.

This whole situation just sickens me. I just hope Brett can salvage what's left of his legacy (and dignity, for that matter) and stick to his decision to retire from the game. If that's not how things go down, and if he ends up in purple for the 2009 season, I hope he gets exactly what would be coming to him.

Favre told the Vikings that he was going to retire. Now it is being reported by espn.com that Bret Favre had x rays of his shoulder sent to the Vikings. He will "unretire" if he doesn't need major surgery on his shoulder. This is exactly what Bret wants. People talking about him 24/7 for the whole summer. Will he or wont he? Bret is coming back no Bret is going to stay retired.