TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2009: The Year in Music

The Kelly Clarkson song is pretty catchy, but I think it sounds way too much like Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold" to achieve that perfect-pop "Since U Been Gone" glory. Programming a drum machine fill at a climactic moment (3:01, I think) was a weird choice.

Having gone through the Animal Collective album another couple of times, it's not sticking with me much. "In the Flowers" and "My Girls" are tremendous but I don't know if the album catches back up with those for the next 45 minutes. It's either a long-term grower or by far the least impressive of their albums.

I've recently become somewhat obsessed with Gucci Mane understudy OJ Da Juiceman. I can't really explain why, though. He's got this weird kind of infectious charm, and his (admittedly one-note) sing songy flow is really sort of hypnotizing. Dude's got a bunch of free mixtapes floating around out there (one of which you can grab here) and his debut LP hit stores on Tuesday. It's not going to win any Album of the Year awards or anything, but it's pretty fun.

I have a feeling that people who were in Eminem's target audience in 2004 (anybody that was in high school from 1999-2004 or in-between) are going to shit on his new album. His stuff hasn't aged well, and his new single doesn't do anything for me. He waited way too long to release a new album. For me at least, I think I grew out of Eminem when I graduated high school.

So I'm trying to get into some new music and I found the Cover of "Take on Me" by A.C Newman. Pretty good version actually. Is that the thing to do these days, remake old songs?

Timmy, if you liked that cover, I suggest you give Northern Kings a shot. They're a European power metal "super group" (featuring vocalists from Tarot, Sonata Arctica, Teräsbetoni, and Charon) that do power metal-style covers of various songs from the 80's to today. Their recent album, Rethroned, had a pretty good cover of "Take on Me", as well as "Wanted Dead or Alive", "Kiss From a Rose" and "I Did it My Way".

You're recommending a power metal band based on someone saying they liked an A.C. Newman song. I'm sure you have no idea who A.C. Newman is, but that you did this reminds me when someone would make a thread like "What are some good jazz records?" and Corey Lazarus would suggest, in all seriousness, an album by a metal band with Zombie in their name.

Xl re-relased it in 2009 so it's appropriate to talk about here: The Airing of Grievances by Titus Andronicus fucking rocks, you guys. It's sort of a nice reminder that indie rock isn't all about pussies with acoustic guitars and mountain men with tambourines (that I'm opposed to either of those two things). I'm not usually too big on guitar solos, but the solos at the end of side one are fucking dope. I know Byron's a fan. Who else?

Durtro has a 90 second preview of the upcoming Current 93 record (you have to sign up for it though.) Quite the line up this time around too:

David Tibet: vocals, July or Gorgon guitars, mix

James Blackshaw: 12-string guitar, piano

William Breeze: electric viola, viola-controlled sampler

Ossian Brown: synthesizers, treated organ, electronics

John Contreras: cello, synthesizers

Baby Dee: piano, Hammond organ

Andria Degens: vocals

Sasha Grey: vocals

Andrew Liles: electronics, guitars, mix

Alex Neilson: drums, percussion

Rickie Lee Jones: vocals

Alice Rousham: vocals

Henry Rousham: vocals

Steven Stapleton: electronics, mix

Matt Sweeney: electric guitar, vocals

Andrew W.K.: bass, piano, vocals

Keith Wood: electric guitar, acoustic guitar, slide guitar, bass

You're recommending a power metal band based on someone saying they liked an A.C. Newman song. I'm sure you have no idea who A.C. Newman is, but that you did this reminds me when someone would make a thread like "What are some good jazz records?" and Corey Lazarus would suggest, in all seriousness, an album by a metal band with Zombie in their name.

Never heard of A.C. Newman, just going on him liking the cover of the song, and suggesting another group that did a decent cover. Guess I need to get "in the know".

First single from the new Yeah Yeah Yeah's was leaked over the weekend.

I love it. If you only liked Fever to Tell and the Is Is EP then you might like it too, but I'm not sure.

Durtro has a 90 second preview of the upcoming Current 93 record (you have to sign up for it though.) Quite the line up this time around too:

David Tibet: vocals, July or Gorgon guitars, mix

James Blackshaw: 12-string guitar, piano

William Breeze: electric viola, viola-controlled sampler

Ossian Brown: synthesizers, treated organ, electronics

John Contreras: cello, synthesizers

Baby Dee: piano, Hammond organ

Andria Degens: vocals

Sasha Grey: vocals

Andrew Liles: electronics, guitars, mix

Alex Neilson: drums, percussion

Rickie Lee Jones: vocals

Alice Rousham: vocals

Henry Rousham: vocals

Steven Stapleton: electronics, mix

Matt Sweeney: electric guitar, vocals

Andrew W.K.: bass, piano, vocals

Keith Wood: electric guitar, acoustic guitar, slide guitar, bass

Any word on if Sasha Grey will be doing double-anal whilst singing?

Never heard of A.C. Newman, just going on him liking the cover of the song, and suggesting another group that did a decent cover. Guess I need to get "in the know".

It's kind of like recommending the Bad Boy catalogue because a guy liked "Every Breath You Take".

I started listening to the new Dalek. Too early to tell, but I'm liking it, and considering I haven't listened to any previous work, my opinion on it will probably be a lot more forgiving than Gary Floyd's if treading over old territory is a problem.

The entire new Yeah Yeah Yeah album leaked about 6 weeks early.

I have a feeling a ton of you will hate it. They replaced lead guitar with a synth for the most part. But I'm loving this. People hate on Show Your Bones all damn day but that's a pretty good album in its own right.

This new album is great though. I think this is a good niche for them.

I have no idea who A.C. Newman is either, but I checked out Northern Kings and they rock! :headbang: