TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

Helio Gracie has passed away

It is with great sadness that GRACIEMAG.com announces the passing of Grandmaster Helio Gracie. At 95 years of age, the great icon and one of those most responsible for Jiu-Jitsu’s success in Brazil and the world died this morning, at home, in the district of Itaipava, in the mountain region of Rio de Janeiro.

“I created a flag from the sport’s dignity. I oversee the name of my family with affection and nerves of blood,” said the Professor, as his last worlds.

No greater details have been released on his burial.

In one of his most famous interviews, published in the special 100th issue of GRACIEMAG, the professor had declared: “I’ve already told my sons that when I die I want there to be a party. No drinking, no debauchery.”

All workers at Gracie Publishing, the company responsible for GRACIEMAG, NOCAUTE and GRACIEMAG.com are in mourning and express their condolences and sadness to the bereaved family, his wife Vera, sons Rorion, Relson, Rickson, Rolker, Royler, Royce, Rherica, Robin and Ricci.

We will be back with more information shortly.

http://www.graciemag.com/news/144/ARTICLE/...2009-01-29.html

RIP to the true pioneer of mixed martial arts and brazilian jiu jitsu.

Oh man, what a blow. I was just talking about him last night with my instructor. He said when he went to Brazil to train, he met Helio and heard stories about how he beat EVERYONE there was to beat in Brazil. Then he came to America and pretty much beat everyone here.

RIP.

Truly a figure that we can say "If we didn't have him, we wouldn't have this". Seeing him roll in his nineties is a fucked up thing. Can't say that I feel sad, though, dude built a system of fighting, built a family and a name, and then lived to see it become world renown.

Fuck, just thinking about it, is there anyone on the planet with close to the amount of experience Helio had in BJJ? So much knowledge.

Why fear death? I don’t need anything, I don’t have anything, I don’t want anything. I think it’s silly for somebody to be scared of dying. One should be afraid of being born. I have already told my children when I die I want a party, with no alcohol, no hell raising [general laughter]. But I want a party with music, food… I don’t know if you guys believe in reincarnation, but we all go and come back until the day we no longer have to return. My brother [Carlos Gracie, already deceased] used to say the fellow only stops returning to Earth when he mingles with the Whole. Even when you’re thinking just a little bit wrongly, you come back to continue evolving. Hell, my friends, is right here on Earth.

Wow, Gracie was a Buddhist?

Why fear death? I don’t need anything, I don’t have anything, I don’t want anything. I think it’s silly for somebody to be scared of dying. One should be afraid of being born. I have already told my children when I die I want a party, with no alcohol, no hell raising [general laughter]. But I want a party with music, food… I don’t know if you guys believe in reincarnation, but we all go and come back until the day we no longer have to return. My brother [Carlos Gracie, already deceased] used to say the fellow only stops returning to Earth when he mingles with the Whole. Even when you’re thinking just a little bit wrongly, you come back to continue evolving. Hell, my friends, is right here on Earth.

Wow, Gracie was a Buddhist?

Probably Espiritista (literally Spiritualist), which is sort of a hippie-ish religion in Brazil. Alot of it is Christian thought combined with Eastern philosophies. They believe in reincarnation and mainly they have a concept of karma, and good acts will render you happier in the next life. There's also variants on it, some being almost a Protestant Christian to borderline Condomble (hybrid of voodoo rituals and Catholicism) to others not dealing with Christ at all.

It's awesome he lived a long life, and in celebration, I'm going to have a mini-party.