TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

Wrestling Roster Draft: Luxe & Reduxe

In all seriousness, I took El Dandy because he was one of the five best workers left on the board. I figure on getting him over by pairing him with Dusty Rhodes from time to time.

For my next pick of the draft, I choose:

Rob Conway.

I'll be using him teamed with dinsmore as The Lords Of The Ring.

They'll be my top heel tag team I think.

Sorry for lack of picture, I'm posting this off my iPhone. Will edit a picture in when I get home.

For my pick I missed last night I'm taking someone that Dusty Rhodes was super high on. He's got a lot of potential and unfortunately really didn't get much of a chance to expand his character during his WWECW stint. I'm going to use him as Raven's bodyguard/enforcer type.

I'm too lazy right now to post a picture, so someone else can for me.

KEVIN THORN

Well, this round sucked.

There are at least 5 people I'd like to draft with this pick and I imagine they will probably be gone by the end of the next round.

Anyway, my pick is...

01.jpg

Tom Prichard

This guy is one of my favorite announcers of all time and for my money, the best. He also pulled double duty as a first rate interviewer. I'll be using him as both to save money. He was voted Best Television Announcer by the readers of the Wrestling Observer for four years in a row (1984-87) and is a member of The Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame...

Lance Russell

My next guy has been a lead announcer for some time now but rose to fame as "The Professor", an expert analyst with a vast knowledge of the history of professional wrestling, particularly of the Japanese and Mexican variety. I'll be using him in that role, filling in the blanks left by my lead announcer and offering backgrounds on the combatants in the squared circle. He was voted Best Television Announcer by the readers of The Wrestler Observer five times (1997, 2002-05)....

Mike Tenay

I'm not certain if KKC wanted both announcers, but he can likely swap out a pick when he returns if he desires.

With my 20th pick, I'm about to take perhaps the biggest steal of the draft thus far.

There has been a run on announcers ever since Al took Jim Ross a few rounds ago. My next selection is easily considered one of, if not, the greatest of all time.

_wsb_245x301_Gordon%20Photo.jpg

Gordon Solie

Tatanka

tatanka-0.jpg

i wanted another babyface and in the early 90's he was one of main babyfaces in the wwe and had great matches with lot of people.

This guy is one of my favorite announcers of all time and for my money, the best. He also pulled double duty as a first rate interviewer. I'll be using him as both to save money. He was voted Best Television Announcer by the readers of the Wrestling Observer for four years in a row (1984-87) and is a member of The Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame...

Lance Russell

My next guy has been a lead announcer for some time now but rose to fame as "The Professor", an expert analyst with a vast knowledge of the history of professional wrestling, particularly of the Japanese and Mexican variety. I'll be using him in that role, filling in the blanks left by my lead announcer and offering backgrounds on the combatants in the squared circle. He was voted Best Television Announcer by the readers of The Wrestler Observer five times (1997, 2002-05)....

Mike Tenay

I'm not certain if KKC wanted both announcers, but he can likely swap out a pick when he returns if he desires.

Yeah, I wanted both guys as a tandem. They'll be commentating team. I think they'd complement each other well. My mindset on picking two announcers was I've already got seven really solid matches (Andre-Lesnar, Luger-Batista, DDP-Jarrett, Londrick-Haybusa and Hakushi, Tiger Mask-Chavo Guerrero Jr, Nakano-Blayze, Blackwell-Kamala) so everybody I pick from here on out will likely mid-card fodder so why not pick up some first rate announcers while they're still on the board? Yeah, I know they're not neccessary but damn it, I want them anyways!

Well, I've reached the halfway point of the draft and I think now is a good time to do a "State of the Union" post.

Thus far, I've been satisfied with who I was able to draft. The past few rounds hurt a little, but my overall supercard is shaping up nicely. I'll post that a little later. Anyway, I was lucky that Calgary fell to me in the first round. I originally wanted to recreate ECW in Philly but doing a Calgary-based promotion was my second choice and I'm happy with the results thus far. I didn't really go into detail when I made my original selections, so here's more of an explanation.

Pick 1: Kurt Angle. He wasn't the first choice to build my Calgary promotion around (obviously Bret was taken), but Angle is someone that fit perfectly. I would book him as a serious heel champion, not the silly Angle from WWE. I also felt that his status as an American olympic champion would help him get over with the Calgary crowd.

Pick 2: Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. As far as a performer, Steamboat is one of my all-time favorites. He's the ultimate babyface and I think a Steamboat/Angle match would be awesome. I don't think it would take too much for me to book for Steamboat. He's the face, Angle's the heel, and here's the ring. I'd expect a classic from these two.

Pick 3: Christian. I wanted another solid performer, preferably with Canadian roots, and Christian was the best available. I would have taken a number of guys in this spot but I missed out on Owen, Benoit, Rude, and Dynamite. At the time I didn't have a matchup in mind, I just wanted a particular performer in this spot.

Pick 4: Trish Stratus. I made a decision early on that I'd trade a cruiserweight division for a solid women and tag team division. This was a no-brainer. Trish, from Canada, would easily be the face of my women's division. She can work, has the look, and was the best choice.

Pick 5: Lance Storm. Another pick that just sort of made sense. I'm a fan of the guy so the decision was based on personal preference and because he fit my promotion. From Calgary......Alberta, Canada, I felt like I needed Storm on my roster.

Pick 6: Justin Credible. Looking back on this pick, I'm not so sure I made the right decision. At the time I wasn't sure if other drafters would pick someone in order to split up a tag team. For that reason, I wanted to form the Impact Players because I could also use them both as solid singles performers. Maybe I could have waited on taking Credible, but I don't mind having him as a tag team or singles wrestler.

Pick 7: Fabulous Moolah. With Trish already being the face of my women's division, I needed someone to pair up with her. I don't think there was a better pick for this role than Moolah. I'd book these two together in a classic face versus heel matchup.

Pick 8: Bob Backlund. I had my eye on Backlund for a few rounds and was thrilled that he dropped to me in the 8th round. He's a former world champion who could work as the all-American good guy or the crazy old man from his later years. With Christian needing an opponent, Backlund was the natural choice. I'll be using him as the good guy in this matchup although I'm not sure if he'd actually be cheered or not.

Pick 9: Bad News Brown. I wanted another heel in this position and Honky Tonk Man was taken right before me. Bad News was my second rated heel given his previous work with Stampede and because he was another personal favorite of mine. He's the ultimate loner who could brawl and I was glad to pick him.

Pick 10: Jacques Rougeau. Another guy who fits with my roster. Hopefully I'll be able to use him in a tag team role, but should someone else take a partner of his I could easily slide him into a singles role either as himself or as The Mountie.

Pick 11: Stu Hart. There was no way I could let someone else take him. He was necessary for my promotion, I just wasn't sure exactly how to use him.

Pick 12: Doug Furnas. Similar to Jacques, I hope to use him in my tag team division, I could also use him as a singles wrestler if his partner is taken. I'm a fan of Furnas & partner and will probably pair them up against the Impact Players.

Pick 13: Teddy Hart. With Owen and Bret taken long before the 13th round, I wanted to get at least one Hart on my roster. Teddy fits nicely with a potential storyline that I'm hoping would elevate him in my promotion.

Pick 14: Harry Smith. Wanted to pair him up with Teddy Hart in the Next Generation Hart Foundation. I wasn't sure how long Teddy or Harry would last so I thought this was the time to draft them both.

Pick 15 & 16: Jumping Bomb Angels. I ended up missing my turn to draft, but this worked out nicely. I hadn't drafted a woman since Moolah in the 7th round, so I took two of my favorite female performers.

Pick 17: Vince McMahon. As I wrote in my original description, I finally found an opponent for Stu Hart. There were only a few people I would book against Stu and Vince was second on that list (HBK was the first). I'm gonna pair the two off in a submission match. I was considering an I Quit match, but I think a submission would be better. I imagine the heat on Vince would be nuclear when he attempts to get Stu in the sharpshooter.

Pick 18: Dan "The Beast" Severn. Not too sure what I'm doing to do with Severn yet, but I wanted another person for my main event/upper mid card scene. Severn could fit with my other main eventers Angle, Steamboat, Backlund, and Christian.

Pick 19: Tom Prichard. Kinda took a gamble on this pick. There were a number of other people I wanted to take, but I couldn't resist hopefully taking Prichard and his tag team partner. Should that work out, I'll probably pair them up against Jacques and parner.

Pick 20: Gordon Solie. I couldn't believe he was still available at the halfway point of the draft. With the exception of Jim Ross, I wouldn't want any one else calling the action for my promotion.

Here's a look at my supercard as it stands right now:

World Championship:

Kurt Angle vs. Ricky Steamboat

#1 Contender Match:

Christian vs. Bob Backlund

Women’s Championship:

Trish Stratus vs. The Fabulous Moolah

Submission Match:

Stu Hart vs Vince McMahon

Tag Team Championship:

Impact Players vs. Doug Furnas & ???

Tag Match:

Teddy Hart & Harry Smith vs. ???

Jumping Bomb Angels vs. ???

Jacques Rougeau & ??? vs. Tom Pritchard & ???

Invitational Battle Royal*

(1) Bad News Brown, (2) Dan Severn

Announce Team:

Gordon Solie

*As of now, I'm putting Bad News and Severn in a battle royal. I'm trying to make use of all 40 picks so I'll probably end up lumping some of my later picks into the match. I also like the idea of a battle royal helping to get the winner over as a badass. I'm also considering making the winner the new North American champion or something along those lines.

I'd like to get another single women's match on the card, but it might be overkill.

For the remaining 20 picks I hope to complete a few of the tag teams, add a few valets and managers, and fill some holes with my battle royal idea. I guess it just depends on who everyone else takes.

Thus far I really like the majority of rosters that you guys have created. Probably my two favorites are Kahran and Al.

Robert Roode

yere342jut7bafgnlliiqgm14dg5ps.jpg

an underrated wrestler, and can be an upper midcard heel.

So much HATE being directed at you, sivy.

My would-be next pick Roode gone as well as the run of announcers (Solie, Russell, Tenay, Striker all gone)...man, this round was painful!

Roode reminds me of Val Venis (who actually trained Roode).

I haven't seen him in spectacular matches but he's always solid.

Pretty damn good tag wrestler as well which is how I wanted to use him with Eric Young (who was just picked below this post!).

Al's timed out...it's King Cucaracha's turn AND I believe Al's got his picks! :wacko:

EDIT: Well, I got Cucaracha's pick from Al.

Hopefully, Al will come back as he's one of my fave posters. This sucks...

On behalf of King Cucaracha:

eric_young_pic.jpg

"Showtime" Eric Young

With my next pick, I'm adding someone who might have been one of ROH's best heels ever. Not to mention he's pretty savvy in the ring. Even though he's a local boy in my territory, I would have him talk trash to the locals, to only add to the nuclear heat he would get himself.

jimmy_rave_feature.jpg

JIMMY RAVE

6foot9,

We have a new administration (headed by Leena) that some posters have a beef with.

I never got involved in the TSM / Leena drama so I wouldn't know much about it. Some people really don't like her, I guess.

From what I can see, Al is no longer a mod (I believe that's what he was).

Not particularly fond of Leena myself and may very well leave the board after this thing is done but by golly I can't abandon my draft, I'm only halfway through. I just hope more people don't leave. We've come too far!

Before we go much further, I think we should do a headcount and see who is in and who is out. Then we can decide what to do from there.

Personally, I'd like to finish out the draft but I want the original drafters to remain the same. We're pretty much at the halfway point here and I really don't like the idea of someone new taking over a another person's spot at this point.

That said, if people do end up leaving what would we do with half of a roster? Would we freeze the draft picks or put them back into the pool?

I dunno. This sucks.

I am still in. I don't really understand the inner workings of what is going on, but I will at least want to finish this.

If people do want to drop out I say we freeze their rosters.