TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

1994 WCW

This thread is not intended to talk about how Hogan went to wcw and made the product worse. That has been done to death.

When looking back at 1994 wcw I noticed how much better it was than the previous year. They had a lot of the same talent but ppvs and matches were greatly improved from 93 imo. Here are some bullet points to discuss.

Dustin Rhodes vs The Stud Stable

Terry Funk Returns

Cactus Jack vs The Nasty Boys

Steven Regal brings Larry Zbysko out of retirement

Vader vs The Boss

Flair plays the tweener role vs Ricky Steamboat

Austins U.S. title feuds with Mero and Steamboat

The Overall greatness that was Spring Stampede and Slamboree

Yeah, the first half of 1994 was pretty good for WCW... until they basically had to do the abrupt Flair heel turn for Hogan's debut. It's almost like the first half of 1996 where Hogan was really no where to be found and things ended up being half-way decent as well.

1994 was the tale of two years for WCW. The first half that was pre Hogan was solid stuff, with the SuperBrawl, Spring Stampede, and Slamboree PPVs. Once Hogan got there though I really lost all interest in WCW, especially after Halloween Havoc when Flair lost the retirement match. It went from a legit different promotion to a goofy revival of 1980s WWF.

Oh, I'm not even badmouthing Hogan's 1994-95 work. His feud with Flair is very good stuff and some matches in the Vader feud were adequate (and also drew fairly well for that time). My problem with Hogan's initial run was that he brought a bunch of washed up WWF cronies from the 80s with him, and it really hurt WCW's undercard.

By the time Nitro started in Sept. 1995 they signed a bunch of different guys and the midcard improved a ton. Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko, etc.

wcw pre hogan in 1994 was still rather regional and didnt feel except for flair like a big deal. sure the were a few good tihngs, cactus jack being one steamboat and austin being an other but it werent untill hulkamania went south that wcw picked up and his feud with flair. not witstanding the silly tonya harding rip off angle with the pipe was darn enjoyable