TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reign

The Convention

Gore's speech was not too bad. By now everybody knows their (own) opinions on policy issues, so I wont bother praising or criticizing that aspect... his delivery was pretty good. A little stiff when he started talking about Kerry but it warmed up. The 'reaching out question' was well done. the kiss re-do was kind of a smart-ass joke, but it made me laugh so i guess it worked. Not too bad. I'll probably tune out during Carter's speech though... since I dont find him entertaining or interesting to listen to, at all.

Another thing is, is Fox News planning on actually covering this? I like to switch around from CNN to msnbc to cspan and fox, and everybody's showing the speeches in their entirety... FOX is showing Oreilly talking about theresa kerry. during this carter speech, instead hannity and dean are trading barbs. what the hell?

Guest cellardoor

Aw, crap. I totally forgot about this. I'm turning the TV on as we speak.

Also, Fox News covering this is a joke. Are they kidding??

Aw, crap. I totally forgot about this. I'm turning the TV on as we speak.

Also, Fox News covering this is a joke. Are they kidding??

Why whatever do you mean? They are "Fair and Balanced" you know.....

I'm actually kinda suprised that Fox didn't do some kind of reality show about "Cops at the DNC!" or something wonderful like that :boxing:

Guest MikeSC

Hearing Carter criticize anybody's foreign policy is laughable.

That the Dems are trying to pimp him as a foreign policy expert is a little offensive.

-=Mike

Clinton laid the Smackdown on Bush with his speech.

Clinton has always been a good to great orator and has charisma; something that Kerry lacks. They should seriously think about not repeating the same mistake Gore made and just let Clinton campaign for them.

Guest GreatOne

Insert 'if you spent as much energy combating terrorism/implementing actual sound policies/etc' joke here.....................

Hell I didn't even mention THAT WOMAN, MISS LEWINSKY here (Oh now that's low!).

Guest MikeSC

Clinton has always been a good to great orator and has charisma; something that Kerry lacks. They should seriously think about not repeating the same mistake Gore made and just let Clinton campaign for them.

That would entail Clinton not doing what he loves doing most: Hyping himself.

-=Mike

I thought Clinton's speech was excellent. All about Kerry and especially about the wisest direction for the Democratic party, which it sorely needs. Good choice to really kick everything off, and fun to watch, too.

-=Mike

What politician doesn't hype themselves?

Guest tangerine

Clinton could just go

"I would do this" and at the end of the long ego stroke he can just go

"And I suppose Mr. Kerry would too".

Guest GreatOne

-=Mike

Clinton's running the risk of morphing into Carter, being remembered for his POST-presidency rather than in the White House

-=Mike

Clinton's running the risk of morphing into Carter, being remembered for his POST-presidency rather than in the White House

Clinton's presidency > Carter's presidency.

Clinton's post-presidency > Carter's post-presidency.

Carter is known far more what he did after leaving the Oval Office because most people would rather forget he was there in the first place.

I haven't heard anyone refer to Clinton as one of the worst presidents ever. Carter, however......

And in any case, Clinton has been in the news alot lately because of his book and the convention, but I still wouldn't say he's going to be remember more for his post-presidency life unless he continues to live under the public eye for years to come.

Clinton's speech was indeed Grade A as for as rallying goes. I also think it was the right decision to put him on the first night to give a buffer zone between him and Kerry considering I doubt Kerry's speech will even be half as entertaining.

Did anyone catch O'Reily tonight? I know Nader was scheduled to be on, but everyone's program on Fox is all warped and switched for the Convention coverage.......the replay comes on at 1am pacific, but I wonder if the show even aired with it's planned segments or not.

Guest tangerine

I wonder how long the dems looked for a loophole to get Clinton on the ticket.

Jericho should find it for them.

Guest fk teale

Clinton's was probably the best speech of the night, but it had its, uh, goofy moments. As when he claimed the Democratic party was a party of unifiers, then went on to accuse the Republicans of sowing popular discord to serve their narrow sectional interests:

On the other hand, the Republicans in Washington believe that American should be run by the right people -- their people -- in a world in which America acts unilaterally when we can and cooperates when we have to.

They believe the role of government is to concentrate wealth and power in the hands of those who embrace their economic, political and social views, leaving ordinary citizens to fend for themselves on important matters like health care and retirement security.

Now, since most Americans aren't that far to the right, our friends have to portray us Democrats as simply unacceptable, lacking in strength and values. In other words, they need a divided America.

But we don't.

Because making out your political opponents to be malevolent plutocratic vampires and puppetmasters is surely going to unite the country.

Guest cellardoor
Aw, crap.  I totally forgot about this.  I'm turning the TV on as we speak.

Also, Fox News covering this is a joke.  Are they kidding??

Why whatever do you mean? They are "Fair and Balanced" you know.....

:bonk: You got me there, fella.

Can anyone give a brief summary of the convention? I got too distracted to watch it.

Because making out your political opponents to be malevolent plutocratic vampires and puppetmasters is surely going to unite the country.

It'll certainly unite the country when we're back to a one party system!

But, eh, I didn't even bother to watch. I might tune in to see Barack Obama's keynote address and Kerry's acceptance speech, but other than that, it's just a bunch of rah-rah crap that I've already heard over and over.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Well I guess that leaving the convention positive idea went out the window after about 5 minutes.

I missed a lot of this, because obviously it was in the early hours of the morning over here, and I'm not that dedicated to politics yet, but what I did see was incredibly weird, it was more like the opening ceremony to the bloody olympics or the World Cup or something, lots of cute little kiddies singing(urgh), people introduced WWE style to their own entrance music, just horribly tacky urgh, now granted I only watched for about an hour and a half, from about 10pm last night, which would have been about half five in the afternoon over there, so I probably missed the real bit, but what I did see urgh, I'm glad we dont have that over here.

Well, there was nothing really on TV, so I switched over to Sky News, and they were carrying the convention, so I figured what the hell and watched it, thats my excuse anyway....

Guest thebigjig
Well I guess that leaving the convention positive idea went out the window after about 5 minutes.

This convention IS positive... especially if you've seen previous conventions

Last night was NOTHING compared to the venom we're going to see at the Republican convention.

My complaint is that conservative pundits are complaining... sometimes I get the impression that they expect the Democrats to hold hands with the Republicans and sing 'shining happy people'

Oh and random thought... I was watching a little of the coverage last night on CNN, and they had a sort of on the floor roundtable discussion earlier in the day with the Crossfire gang, and Bob Novak... the ultimate tool... was asked about Kerry's wife telling a reporter to "shove it" and he went on and on in that horribly annoying muppet from hell voice of his, about how she's obviously a "loose cannon" blah blah blah... and I kept thinking, "did you say the same thing about Cheney telling a senator to fuck off??" and though I dont follow Novak much, something tells me he didn't.

It's a pretty sad day when "shove it" is more offensive to the ears of neocons than "FUCK OFF!"

God I hate politics sometimes...