TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ghettoman

To DrTom:

As a black person, I would rule that option A is used since I find the word VERY racist. THere is no good way to say it. There is only hate. The word is hate pure in simple. If I was a mod, even jokingly, I would pull the ban trigger. Bottomline, the word is wrong. Let it go, because for some reason DH just hopes he can one day say the n bomb.

See, I have to agree that the word shouldn't be said, period, simply because there are those who find it racist, even in a non-racist contet. Now, I know the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, but at the same time, there are a bunch of other words we can use in place, or simply use the juvenile-yet-effective "N-word" or N*****.

I think a two- or three- strike policy would be fair; say, a warning, a one or two-day suspension, and then a ban. Also, the mods SHOULD edit the word out of the post (it's not hard), or else, what's the point of making it a bannable offense?

I'm not saying this is the right viewpoint or the only one. But it makes the most sense to me.

Guest Ghettoman

I don't see how the word itself can override it's use or intent.

Other than that I agree.

As a black person, I would rule that option A is used since I find the word VERY racist. THere is no good way to say it. There is only hate. The word is hate pure in simple.

This is the perspective that has to be kept in mind. Is it easy to tell what's supposed to be a joke from what's supposed to be a hateful screed? Sure. But the fact remains that there are plenty of other options to say in a joke, and none of them carry the weight that "nigger" does.

I'm aware there's no such thing as the right not to be offended, but that doesn't mean there should be carte blanche to say whatever you want, as long as it's not part of some KKK-style propaganda.

Guest EQ

Yeah, you know what? Fuck it. Just don't use the word, period. That will save everyone here another debate like this next time this happens

I don't see how the word itself can override it's use or intent.

Other than that I agree.

Honestly, neither do I. I'm not offended by the word, if used in a nonoffensive context. But some are, and it's easy enough not to say it, that I would hope we can all buck up and hold our tongues a little bit.

Let it go, because for some reason DH just hopes he can one day say the n  bomb.

Yes, because you know me so well. I've never once said it on the boards here in any way, not only joking. I don't use the word in my "real life" in anything even CLOSE to a negative way, and never will.

I just feel that if people are just joking around, like GM was, there shouldn't be some sort of issue about it.

I'm all for the banning of the word totally, but you also wil need to ban all variations of the word as well, as well as a flat out ban on all other such words that people might use in jokes. There is no need to be one sided about it. Why don't you just ban everything that someone just might find the smallest bit offensive, joking or not?

How is saying 'n-word' or 'n*gger' or any other censored version of the word any less offensive than the actual word?

There's a lot of grey area here, but I don't think someone should be banned for asking a black person, "How does it feel when someone calls you a 'nigger'?" if the discussion is about race or racism, while if someone starts calling someone a "stupid n*gger" is that ok since he didn't actually say the word?

How is saying 'n-word' or 'n*gger' or any other censored version of the word any less offensive than the actual word?

I've always wondered that also. To me, I think the same thing when a goody-goody says things like freaking, heck, crap, etc... in place of the more well known cuss words. They are expressing the same emotion for the most part, simply using a different word in it's place.

Guest Ghettoman

"This is the perspective that has to be kept in mind. Is it easy to tell what's supposed to be a joke from what's supposed to be a hateful screed? Sure. But the fact remains that there are plenty of other options to say in a joke, and none of them carry the weight that "nigger" does.

I'm aware there's no such thing as the right not to be offended, but that doesn't mean there should be carte blanche to say whatever you want, as long as it's not part of some KKK-style propaganda."

So you feel justified in skipping at least two steps of punishment because of one persons perspective!?

I just don't see how it's made out to be the careless offensive statement when it was anything but. I mean if anyone was to be offended by it's use it should of been the people who use it as a derogatory term. I mean considering it wasn't even edited out of the post I just don't see how it's the problem it's being made out to be.

And still, even if it was somehow the problem that you say it was, you still offer no reason why you didn't give me a warning or simply ask me to remove it first.

Guest Goodear

The next time someone yells out, "Man, that Martin Luther King is one uppity N-Word" will probably be the first.

And still, even if it was somehow the problem that you say it was, you still offer no reason why you didn't give me a warning or simply ask me to remove it first.

Why would he ask you to remove it? Or better yet, why hasn't the word been deleted from the thread if this is such a big deal?

Guest Ghettoman

If you mean he could just do it himself, good point, and I have no idea considering at this point it really should have.

So you feel justified in skipping at least two steps of punishment because of one persons perspective!?

It's not just one person's perspective. *Anyone* can have that perspective.

You're also not taking any responsibility for what you said, and you haven't from the beginning. You're the one who chose to use "nigger" in your post, for whatever reason and however you meant it, and you've sloughed off the blame for it as some form of unfair punishment. If you hadn't used the word, nothing would have happened. If you don't use it in the future, nothing will happen. It's just common sense.

Guest Ghettoman

No it's not common sense. Common sense doesn't say intent and use is overridden by the perspective of one poster on this board, remember, thats what your supposedly trying to protect here, the posters of TSM, and if were going by majority, majority doesn't mind.

And if the word was ever that big of a problem, it would of been removed from the start of this. It wasn't.

You still have yet to present any logic behind skipping two steps of punishment or as to how it was a problem in the first place. Trying to pass off the blame by saying 'well if you never said it it wouldn't be this' doesn't work, because I can just as easily say if you never suspended me it wouldn't be this.

I mean hell, how am I supposed to buy what your saying in anyway when the word is still there!? Make some sense, for both our sake.

*walks in blissfully ignorant to the topic whistling*

*turns and walks out*

Guest cobainwasmurdered

That word should not be used. period. Many people find it offensive and just because others don't doesn't give them the right to offend others.

TSM isn't a democracy and you don't have the right to say whatever you want. fucking deal with it.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Too chime in my two-cents, I find the word very offensive, and I'M WHITE! I say that because I grew up in a black neighborhood, so the word always caused problems. Hell, I only say it now in the privacy of my own home, or with a close friend who's white in fear of getting my ass handed to me for saying it to the wrong person.

I'm aware there's no such thing as the right not to be offended, but that doesn't mean there should be carte blanche to say whatever you want, as long as it's not part of some KKK-style propaganda.

Bite me.

I speak the truth...

Guest Ghettoman

TSM isn't a democracy yet it still yeilds to the minority?

And there's two issues here that are unresolved. First off no matter whether or not it was wrong to use the word, it's already been proven that the action taken wasn't neccesary in the least.

Secondly if it was the problem that it's made out to be, wouldn't of the word been removed immediately? It wasn't, it's most likely still there.

Use and intent are more important here than perception, if I call one of you a silly dyke in jest, why wouldn't that be a problem? I mean there are people out there who would be offended by it right? What about saying cracka? That too right? I mean if were gonna do things based on how people may or may not react, then shit the mods have a lot of work to do cleaning this place up.

If your going to comment on it, please read what has been said, it's getting irritating having to go over what I've said about 3 times now.

And there's two issues here that are unresolved. First off no matter whether or not it was wrong to use the word, it's already been proven that the action taken wasn't neccesary in the least.

Tom said he probably overreacted. What else do you want? Just be thankful you weren't banned and be done with it. Your life has not been ruined because you were suspended from a fucking message board for two days. Crikey.

Secondly if it was the problem that it's made out to be, wouldn't of the word been removed immediately? It wasn't, it's most likely still there.

So if the word gets removed will you shut up?

If your going to comment on it, please read what has been said, it's getting irritating having to go over what I've said about 3 times now.

Yet another reason to shut up about this.

Guest Ghettoman

"Tom said he probably overreacted. What else do you want? Just be thankful you weren't banned and be done with it. Your life has not been ruined because you were suspended from a fucking message board for two days. Crikey. "

God I know this analogy is gonna be misinterpreted in everyway possible but think of it this way. If a cop kills someone by mistake, and tells the family it was probably an accident, should they just accept it and move on? Of course not. It's still an issue, nothing has been conceded.

I'd like him to actually admit where he wrong, so I can have some assurance it won't happen again. And besides, he already went back on the probably a couple of times trying to say it was justified so that doesn't hold up either.

You know how this can end? By me feeling like I'm not going to be wrongfully suspended again. Until then I see no reason to drop the issue without resolution.

Can we just ban Ghettoman for being a whiny bitch? Or lock the thread because it's getting no where since he won't accept anything but Tom coming to him like a just had her cherry popped virgin asking for forgiveness at confession.

Guest Ghettoman

No but if you'd like you can just not come in this thread and read my 'whining' like a sensible person who actually doesn't want to deal with this would.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I've seen people banned for worse.

For once I actually want a thread closed.

G-Man is getting up into Eagan territory.

Yipes.

I've read enough.

GM, you are effectively banned from TSM after flaming Tom in more than one folder which constitutes trolling and have managed to make a complete ass out of yourself here after Tom copped to his mistake about suspending you for which you harped on earlier in HD in regards to mods not taking responsibility for their actions.

How about you take some accountability for your own actions as well?

The hypocrisy and double-standards you showed everyone here in this thread have made it clear that you're not going to let this issue go no matter how many times Tom has to come in and apologize.

This thread is closed.