TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Your guess is a good as mine how it's going to go this year...but there are three things I know:

- Bob Barron will declare his allegiance to no fewer than three different teams over the course of the playoffs.

- Either treble charged or I will never hear the end of it following the first round.

- At least two very good teams are going to be playing golf in two weeks.

First round matchups:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (8) New York Islanders

(2) Boston Bruins vs. (7) Montreal Canadiens

(3) Philadelphia Flyers vs. (6) New Jersey Devils

(4) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (5) Ottawa Senators

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs. (8) Nashville Predators

(2) San Jose Sharks vs. (7) St. Louis Blues

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) Calgary Flames

(4) Colorado Avalanche vs. (5) Dallas Stars

Guest Choken One

Is this where we make predictions or is it JUST a site for overall dicussion?

I really wish they would get rid of ties and the point system and just go with straight wins and loses like at least the NBA. Seeing a 42 win team in the playoffs just bothers me. From a standings point of view.

I really wish they would get rid of ties and the point system and just go with straight wins and loses like at least the NBA. Seeing a 42 win team in the playoffs just bothers me. From a standings point of view.

Eh...there'll probably be 3 or 4 teams with that many wins or fewer making the NBA playoffs. You're going to have "undeserving" teams from time to time no matter what you do.

I smell conspiracy

Guest Choken One

Personally, I feel each the NBA AND NHL put too many teams in there...

I think Each leauge should cut down to Six Teams per conferences and give the top two teams the bye.

In NHL's viewpoint

Tampa/Boston/Detroit/San Jose would get Byes...while Montreal/NYI/Nashville/St. Louis would be out of it.

Making it #3 vs #6 and #4 Vs #5.

It would shorten the playoffs which I think goes too long as it is and rewards the best teams.

I think Each leauge should cut down to Six Teams per conferences and give the top two teams the bye.

In NHL's viewpoint

Tampa/Boston/Detroit/San Jose would get Byes...while Montreal/NYI/Nashville/St. Louis would be out of it.

It would shorten the playoffs which I think goes too long as it is and rewards the best teams.

How would it shorten the playoffs? You'd still have the same number of rounds, all still best of 7. Plus, you can't have byes in a sport that doesn't play single elimination...it's too much of an unfair advantage to the teams getting them, taking away from the unpredictability that makes the playoffs great.

I don't mind the system they have now. It beats 16 teams advancing out of 21, like it used to be. And eight weeks isn't that long.

I really wish they would get rid of ties and the point system and just go with straight wins and loses like at least the NBA.  Seeing a 42 win team in the playoffs just bothers me.  From a standings point of view.

Eh...there'll probably be 3 or 4 teams with that many wins or fewer making the NBA playoffs. You're going to have "undeserving" teams from time to time no matter what you do.

It's not that point I'm thinking about but it is hard to follow compared to just straight Ws and Ls. You could have a team that has actually won more games than another but the other team could be ahead of them standings wise because they have more points via ties.

In NHL's viewpoint

How would it shorten the playoffs? You'd still have the same number of rounds, all still best of 7. Plus, you can't have byes in a sport that doesn't play single elimination...it's too much of an unfair advantage to the teams getting them, taking away from the unpredictability that makes the playoffs great.

I don't mind the system they have now. It beats 16 teams advancing out of 21, like it used to be. And eight weeks isn't that long.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

EASTERN CONFERENCE (my picks in bold)

(1) Tampa Bay Lightning (Their goaltending gets them past the first round) vs. (8) New York Islanders

(2) Boston Bruins (Helluva series this is going to be) vs. (7) Montreal Canadiens

(3) Philadelphia Flyers vs. (6) New Jersey Devils (Brodeur is the best pressure goaltender in the playoffs)

(4) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (5) Ottawa Senators (*plugs ears* BIASBIASBIAS)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Detroit Red Wings (one of the best bluelines this year, plus whenever Hatcher decides to play like he's capable, they'll be in a good position) vs. (8) Nashville Predators

(2) San Jose Sharks (Their goaltending and better defense makes it for them) vs. (7) St. Louis Blues

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) Calgary Flames (They're my upset pick this year)

(4) Colorado Avalanche vs. (5) Dallas Stars (Aebischer is for real)

Right now, the Eastern conference definitely has the more interesting first round games IMO

Classic rivalry, and the Bruins will look to avenge their humiliating series loss from two years ago

Another fierce division rivalry

All-Ontario battle

My choice: As an adopted Bostoner, I'm rooting for the Broons

Only two series look interesting on the Western side to me

Western Canada battles it out

A couple years ago, this would be a fierce conference final battle. Strange that one of these two teams will be gone in the first round

My choice: ANYBODY BUT DETROIT

Guest Choken One

Just because God Hates me, We'll get New Jersey Vs Detroit/Colorado/Dallas.

I want something FRESH this year...

I have a feeling the Playoffs will be a fucking classic ala Baseball last season and yet will shoot itself in the foot right away with the contract talks like Baseball did by "Contraction" talk two years ago after a great World Series and Steroids after the greatest MLB post-season ever.

Guest BANKYWOOD

EASTERN CONFERENCE

(8) New York Islanders

(2) Boston Bruins

(3) Philadelphia Flyers

(5) Ottawa Senators

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Detroit Red Wings

(7) St. Louis Blues

(6) Calgary Flames

(4) Colorado Avalanche

Being the lazy sod that I am, I'm just going to copy & paste my selections from the OAO NHL thread ...

1. Tampa vs. 8. NYI - the Isles played the Bolts tough this year, but I just can't see Tampa lose in the first round after playing so well all season. Tampa in 5

2. Boston vs. 7. Montreal - Yes, I will fully admit that I'm biased ... but if Thornton is healthy and Raycroft plays as well as he did all season, there's no way the Habs upset the B's again. Boston in 5

3. Philly vs. 6. New Jersey - Philly's annual goaltending problems cause them to lose to the Devils. Jersey in 6.

4. Toronto vs 5. Ottawa - Easily the hardest one for me to call. It all depends on which goalie is the healthiest; if Lalime isn't 100% or if Belfour has any back issues, their team is sunk. My only prediction is that this goes 7 games and the winning team is too spent to muster much in the second round. I can't choose a winner yet.

I'll do the Western Conf tomorrow or Tuesday.

Ok for the predictions...

East

Tampa Bay over NYI in 6 Games.

Montreal upsets Boston in 7

New Jersey takes Philly in 6

Ottawa ousts Toronto in 7.

West

Detroit over Nashville in 5

St. Louis over San Jose in 6

Vancouver over Calgary in 6

Dallas over Colorado in 7.

Stanley Cup Champion: Tampa Bay will take a run and make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, and loose to the Red Wings in 6 Games.

Tampa will win the series in five very close games, possibly three of them going into OT.

Montreal in six. While Boston is better in the standings, they have a hard time playing against the Canadiens. Raycroft will be okay, and I wouldn't be surprised if Felix gets a nod in the series.

This is probably the most insane pick from the Eastern Conference, but this New Jersey team is, well, average. Brodeur can carry the team so far, but with the absance of Scott Stevens and Ken Danyeko, the team has less than spetacular defence, and lately a mediocore offense.

Ottawa in six. Lalime or Prusek, it doesn't really matter. Toronto will be tired, and run down the entire series. Belfour can do so much to carry that team, and Toronto really has one line, the rest...do they even play?

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Hey, Cinderella story again? Thats what the Red Wings don't want happen again. While this is Nashville first time ever in the playoffs, and wants to make an impact, they'll be lucky to get a win in this series. Legace will probably start, and thats a good thing, if CuJo started....maybe History can repeat itself. Detroit in 4.

St. Louis is just lucky to be in the playoffs, but they might as well bring out the golf clubs. Sharks in 5.

With Kiprusoff, and a red hot Flames, well its just ashamed that Vancouver has to play them. Well quite frankly, who really wanted to play Calgary as of late? Flames in six.

Too bad this series is in the first round. The hardest pick of all, and its going to seven games, and Colorado will barely get by.

I'm still camping on my Ottawa Senators vs. Calgary Flames for the Stanley Cup finals.

Three weeks ago, I would have said Montreal and Calgary in the stanley cup finals...

that doens't look too good right now.

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

Grrrrrrr....Bruins WILL beat the Canadiens. It's just going to happen. How?

The Bruins offense is warming up. They put 3 on Brodeur today, which made my day. I was absolutely dreading a possible Ottawa-Boston first-rounder. So was the Devils-Bruins combo that would have killed my season.

Razor is gonna have an outstanding playoffs. Potvin might get a start to give him a rest.

As long as they don't fall into "Perfect-play-itis," I'll be all set.

I'm still camping on my Ottawa Senators vs. Calgary Flames for the Stanley Cup finals.

Three weeks ago, I would have said Montreal and Calgary in the stanley cup finals...

As fitting it would be to end hockey for a while with the Canadiens winning the Stanley Cup, I don't see it either. B's are good.

My three teams (Calgary/Ottawa/Montreal) > Bob Barron's three teams (Toronto, Vancouver, New Jersey). They're > by A LOT.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Tampa in 5. Conference champs, who'da thunk it?

Habs in 7. When in doubt, go with the team with a clear cut #1

Devils in 6. Going with Brodeur and the defending champs until they prove me wrong.

Not picking due to bias. Rooting for the Leafs, obviously.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Winge in 5. I expect the Preds to take one, but I think that this should be easy for the Wings

Sharks in 5. Sharks are impressive, Blues aren't, except for their playoff streak.

Canucks in 6. Canucks are on a roll going in, so we'll see that momentum continue.

Stars in 7. This is the tough series in the west.

I seriously want those two teams fighting it out for the Stanley Cup.

Only exception I'll make is the other Canadian team they face to beat them out and take their spot (Vancouver/Toronto) or a mix and match.

I still want those two teams because I think it would be a great final round, and besides, this way I can still cheer on a team with full support (Calgary).

While I like the 16 team format, and that it is better than 16 out of 21 teams, you could make an argument that there are about 4-6 too many teams in the league.

I think every series except Detroit-Nashville will be very competitive.

Guest Choken One

Personally, I want a CANADIAN finals...so America can have an excuse not to care.

Let the people who DO care get a game that means something...Im sure Canada is sick of seeing teams from Florida, California winning the damn SC.

Canada deserves the all canada Cup Game.

Im sure Canada is sick of seeing teams from Florida, California winning the damn SC.

When the hell did that ever happen

Im sure Canada is sick of seeing teams from Florida, California winning the damn SC.

another one of Choken post that does not bring anything to the topic.

My picks:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (8) New York Islanders - Tampa outmatches the Isles in every category. Bolts in 5.

(2) Boston Bruins vs. (7) Montreal Canadiens - Bruins are much improved from 2 years ago. Habs are not. Bruins in 6.

(3) Philadelphia Flyers vs. (6) New Jersey Devils - I forget who, but someone on ESPN Radio said Bobby Clarke was GM for life. There goes that dream. No matter. Devils in 6.

(4) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (5) Ottawa Senators - No pick. I'll be at Game 3 in Ottawa next Monday night.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs. (8) Nashville Predators - A whitewash on paper. Of course, they said that last year, too...Red Wings in 4.

(2) San Jose Sharks vs. (7) St. Louis Blues - The Blues used up everything just to make the postseason. Sharks in 5.

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) Calgary Flames - With Bertuzzi out and Naslund hurting, the Flames should be competitive, and could steal this series. Flames in 7.

(4) Colorado Avalanche vs. (5) Dallas Stars - Give me Turco over Aebischer any day. Stars in 6.

another one of Choken post that does not bring anything to the topic.

I think he more meant teams from Florida and California battling for Lord Stanley.

I think he more meant teams from Florida and California battling for Lord Stanley.

Speaks for itself

Sidenote: It's funny when I think about this... only two US teams west of the Mississippi have won the Cup (Dallas and Colorado); East of the river, the southernest team to win is Philly