TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

The OAO Mystery Science Theater 3000 Thread

I recently borrowed a bunch of tapes from a co-worker of MST3K episodes, mostly seasons 2-5, stuff I haven't seen in years, reminded me of how great the show was, and how much I missed it.

So, knowing there are plenty of MSTies on the board (Amazing Rando I'm looking at you) I decided to make a thread for all our memories, fav quotes, any related stories and links-

Like this site MST3K Review

And the offical page Satellite News (I recommend reading the Show History, facinating if you don't know much.

What do you think sirs?

Guest MikeSC
Greatest Show.... ever.

I forever curse the channels that had anything to do with taking it off the air.

That is all...

I'll never get why it went off the air.

Rights to the movies used can't cost much.

The show, clearly, didn't have a huge production budget.

It should've easily pulled decent enough ratings to get advertising enough to pay for the costs.

-=Mike

Guest Salacious Crumb

I have 80some episodes on tape so I'm good to go as far as never missing the show. I was never a big fan of the Sci-Fi shows though.

EDIT: I agree with Mike, I imagine half the movies used are public domain now anyway.

Guest MikeSC
I have 80some episodes on tape so I'm good to go as far as never missing the show. I was never a big fan of the Sci-Fi shows though.

EDIT: I agree with Mike, I imagine half the movies used are public domain now anyway.

My psychotic ex stole my, roughly, 50 eps.

-=Mike

Guest Salacious Crumb

Damn, that really sucks. I keep my tapes hidden away in a storage room because several people would try and steal them otherwise.

See the good thing about working at a Film Preservation vault is that the guys working there are film nuts, and naturally the perfect audience for MST3K

Sadly no Season 1 episodes

Guest Salacious Crumb

One of the season 1 episodes is out on DVD. The Crawling Hand or something like that.

I've got all the Rhino releases, save for the Sci-Fi era ones that just came out, since I've got them on tape anyways (but will eventually get the DVD's when I get more spending cash). I loved this show, finding it purely by accident on Comedy Central one night when I had nothing to do. The first episode I ever saw was Eegah!, and I just died laughing during it. I wish a lot more of the CC era eps were able to be released, because I definitely favor them over the Sci-Fi era (although a few of those were hysterical as well).

Guest Vitamin X

Strangely enough, it was also a case of the movie of the TV series actually being REALLY FUNNY as opposed to the TV series.

I personally think Joel was funnier than Mike, from what I remember.

Guest MikeSC
Strangely enough, it was also a case of the movie of the TV series actually being REALLY FUNNY as opposed to the TV series.

I personally think Joel was funnier than Mike, from what I remember.

I thought Mike was funnier, personally. I never thought an ep could compare to "Manos"

-=Mike

Guest Salacious Crumb

I always liked Joel better just because he worked as a foil to Servo and Crow. He would set up what he thought would be a fun activity that the bots would ultimately ruin.

Mike on the other hand was just like them and while I like Mike a lot I always though Joel and the bots had a better dynamic.

I also think you always like whoever you saw first.

Guest MikeSC
I always liked Joel better just because he worked as a foil to Servo and Crow. He would set up what he thought would be a fun activity that the bots would ultimately ruin.

Mike on the other hand was just like them and while I like Mike a lot I always though Joel and the bots had a better dynamic.

I also think you always like whoever you saw first.

Most likely. I saw Mike first. I always thought Joel came across as half-asleep.

-=Mike

Manos is CLASSIC.

As for Mike vs. Joel, I like both. Joel, I think, was a funnier MSTer, but Mike was better in skits because Joel came off as being sleepy or stoned some of the time.

Of course, I saw Mike first, so I think I'll always be partial to him more than Joel.

I could talk all day about Mystery Science Theater 3000, so let me just do the condensed version. I just got into the show by accident in June 2002 watching Phantom Planet on the Sci-Fi Channel, and I've spent all my time since then getting all the episodes I could. I love, love, love, love, LOVE, LOVE this show.

I now have about 60 episodes on tape, and I have 3 of the MST3K box sets, along with 2 more DVDs(Mitchell and The Brain That Wouldn't Die).

It is my favorite show ever, and I consider it the greatest show ever made. Sadly, I have yet to see Manos, but I have seen Puma Man, Mr. B Natural, Santa Claus Conquers The Martians, Godzilla vs. Megalon, and Soultaker. Invasion of the Neptune Men is my favorite episode. The movie rocks also.

And I prefer Mike over Joel, but that's only because the first episodes I saw were the Sci-Fi Mike episodes.

I hate that it's cancelled, and will always carry a petty grudge towards Doug Herzog (Former president of Comedy Central during the early 1990s) and Bonnie Hunter (President of Sci-Fi Channel starting in January 1999. She HATED the show and is the sole reason for it's cancellation.) for cancelling the show twice. And Sandy Frank too, for refusing to have his movies shown on t.v.

I've also managed to include MST3K in other areas of my life besides the show. I've done comics, written a song about the show, and am thinking of doing some fanvids soon.

I can talk about it 24 hours a day, and will not rest till I have every single episode and MST3K related special in my possesion. Is that going to take a while!

Did anyone actually cry during the last scene of the final episode? I didn't, but I did get teary-eyed and goosebumps during the last scene.

"Nespa! NESPA! NESPA!"-Mike, Crow, and Servo during Invasion of the Neptune Men.

Guest MikeSC
Mike > Joel

I never saw the Manos ep. So my favorite was the "I Was A Teenage Werewolf" episode.

Buy the DVD. NOW. You have no clue what you're missing.

"Manos" is on DVD? REALLY? Heck, I have Vol 3-5 --- and I thought the older ones were all Joel.

They HAVE "Manos" on DVD?

SWEET!

-=Mike

...And wasn't "Jupiter Men" the Japanese movie with that hotel with what looked like a picture of Hitler on the side?

I have a bunch of Sci-Fi episodes on tape that I got when I learned it was going off TV for good. Plus I have the first 3 DVD Collections.

I like both Joel and Mike, but I like Mike's delivery better than Joel's. Mike seems more comfortable.

And MikeSC "Manos" is a Joel episode.

...And wasn't "Jupiter Men" the Japanese movie with that hotel with what looked like a picture of Hitler on the side?

Yup. "Neptune Men" featured ACTUAL World War II footage for some strange reason. I guess the editor forgot to edit out the building with Hitler's image on it, since it appears in the film, getting blown up by the Neptune Men. And what's worst, the film was made in 1959, and released in 1961. 16 years after the end of WWII. Which makes the inclusion of the Hitler building even stranger.

And I read on the Sci-Fi website that the film included disturbing and violent footage from WWII that Best Brains cut out from the film. So, what was shown was just the tip of the iceberg.

Although it was worth it for this bit of dialogue.

(The Hitler building appears onscreen)

Crow, Mike, and Servo: WHAT?!!!! WHAT THE?

Servo: They took out the Hitler building! Where's everyone going to see all the Hitler memoribilia?

Crow: All the Hitler rides and games! The Hitler salt and pepper shakers!

Mike: That great resturant "The Bunker." You sons of a--

Crow: You blew it up!

Crow: Say Mike was there a Hitler building where you live?

Mike: No. Not neccesarily.

Crow: So no then?

Crow: What's next? The Mussolini mall?

Servo: Follow by the Pinoche petting zoo?!

I remember all of that from memory. I was cracking up typing it. I've seen Neptune Men about 200 times making it the MST3K episode I've seen the most.

Mike > Joel

I never saw the Manos ep. So my favorite was the "I Was A Teenage Werewolf" episode.

Buy the DVD. NOW. You have no clue what you're missing.

"Manos" is on DVD? REALLY? Heck, I have Vol 3-5 --- and I thought the older ones were all Joel.

They HAVE "Manos" on DVD?

SWEET!

-=Mike

"Invasion of the Neptune Men" actually.

That episode rules the world.

We need a site online that has all the episodes for download or at least one a week, much like the ANGEL site.

I have all of the last two seasons of MST3K and some of the VHS/DVDs from Rhino but not all of them yet.

Too bad Comedy Central is being a dick about things and won't just pick up the rights to air all the re-runs they have. It's gotta be better than those "Girls Gone Wild" promos they run late nights.

Back in the day, I went to a screening of a new episode during the college tour they went on (somewhere around 1991 or so). This was at the University of Cincinnati. I can't remember the damn name of the movie, but it had Adam West in it, made in the mid-80s. It was one of the better ones, the audience loved it.

Guest El Satanico

An interesting site attempting to explain all of the references in each episode

I started watching during the Joel era, but I liked the Mike era more. I loved any episode with a Joe Don Baker movie.

joedon1.jpg

I have 11 episodes downloaded, but have only watched a few.

212 - Godzilla vs. Megalon

302 - Gamera(gotta love the Gamera song)

312 - Gamera Vs. Guiron

321 - Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

322 - Master Ninja I

504 - Secret Agent Super Dragon

508 - Operation Double 007

613 - The Sinister Urge

618 - High School Big Shot

807 - Terror From The Year 5000

903 - Puma Man

xmas3753.jpg

I have 20 shorts downloaded and have watched them all at least once.

A Date With Your Family

Alphabet Antics

Aquatic Wizards

Body Care and Grooming

Cheating

Circus On Ice

Gumby Robot Rumpus

Hired!

Is This Love

Johnny At The Fair

Junior Rodeo Daredevils

Mr. B. Natural(sooo very creepy)

The Truck Farmer

Using Your Voice

What About Juvenile Delinquency

What To Do On A Date

Why Study Industrial Arts

X Marks The Spot

Once Upon A Honeymoon

The Home Economics Story

mrb5.JPG

I also have 7 special episodes and special appearances downloaded.

1st Annual Summer Blockbuster Review

2nd Annual Summer Blockbuster Review

CBS Saturday Morning News

Commentary on early Playstation games

Talk Soup

This Is MST3K

Turkey Day '95

Guest Salacious Crumb

Yeah, I don't understand why CC doesn't pay out so they can play the first seasons again. It would be better than the shitty 80s movies that no one liked in the first place or 4 hours of Mad Tv a day.

BTW, there's an episode guide that you can probably find on Amazon. I highly recommend it as the writers/cast gives great insight to a lot of episodes and the whole process.

Guest El Satanico
Where did you download them from???

I need more MST3K!

I downloaded them all from Kazaa before the RIAA aimed it's fury at them. I don't know what you'd find on there now, but could be worth a try.

We need a site online that has all the episodes for download or at least one a week, much like the ANGEL site.

The site http://dapcentral.org offers all the non-Rhino released episodes of MST3K free for download. You just have to download eDonkey in order to download those episodes.

Tell me, what exactly is eDonkey?

It's another downloading program, but unlike Kazaa, you can't download music or movies, just T.V. shows. And it's only for shows that are found on dapcentral.org. You can't download shows that are not featured on dapcentral.org.

Some of the shows found on eDonkey:

-Space Ghost: Coast To Coast

-The Critic

-Duckman

-Aqua Teen Hunger Force

-Sea Lab: 2021

Guest El Satanico

The site http://dapcentral.org offers all the non-Rhino released episodes of MST3K free for download. You just have to download eDonkey in order to download those episodes.

Tell me, what exactly is eDonkey?

Go to that site and read their FAQ, It tells you everything. It's just another P2P program.